China Shipping 20ft container

06/24

I wasn't really sure where to post this, since the humble box doesn't really fit any particular genre. Mods, feel free to move this if you wish.

While I'm no expert, there's something fascinating about the quotidian ubiquity of shipping containers.

I've built a couple before (see here) but I was never happy with the colour of the CSLU box. I recently chanced upon an online store which sold appropriate "Reef Green" paint so I thought I'd have another go. If you'll indulge me, I'll post a few reference shots and some WIP of the box itself.

374856288_c5620d112d_z.jpgAbandoned Shipping Container by Matt Grommes, on Flickr

33186726852_2b6e5415e1_c.jpg2016 - China - Yangtze River - China Shipping by Ted McGrath, on Flickr

48676165412_756d1b8747_c.jpgMMNU Mobile Mini BV 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

I really like the Hazmat ghosts on the side of this (storage in our local co-op) Dutch rental unit and that's something I'd like to try and replicate.

48675649043_d44b8156f7_c.jpgMMNU Mobile Mini BV 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

So, some model progress shots:

48601534241_de1832b292_c.jpg1/35 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48601534251_7200e85cdd_c.jpg1/35 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48601667967_cac42ffed7_c.jpg1/35 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48601668102_94eef0ba8b_c.jpg1/35 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48601534051_70a282c419_c.jpg1/35 20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

Just visible in that last shot is the only addition I've made so far, a couple of door stops to keep the doors level with the ends.

• Like 6

The paint I had obtained was (unintentionally) cellulose and I was little nervous using it on a plastic model. I primed with Halfords plastic primer and applied the paint outdoors in a warm day, so it flashed off very quickly and I experienced no problems with damage to the plastic.

48675800303_5a2f682231_c.jpg20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

48676141491_aeb6670e8d_c.jpg20ft Container by Jon Gwinnett, on Flickr

• Like 7

That looks great. We once filmed in a container construction factory and your photo is only the second time I've seen a pristine container 😁.

I'm looking forward to seeing its descent into an aged, abused, badly-maintained, well-travelled receptacle for dubious goods.

Why am I suddenly thinking of Keith Richards?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Given our house building process has us decamped into a wee cottage and my stash and books are in the back of one of these might I put in a bid that the contents of the finished model might reasonably has a minature stash in the back !

• Like 1

I'm afraid that won't do in today's Eco Friendly environment. It needs to have a Bamboo floor.

As for weathering......................just how far do you want to go?  The possibilities are endless. As for contents, well.....drugs, contraband, migrants, scrap, waste paper, stolen cars...the World is your oyster. And maybe a few barnacles as well if it fell into the sea, as they do.

Oh, don't forget Graffiti

Edited by bentwaters81tfw
Update
  • Like 1

Well this is very different!

Other than suggesting ‘bash it about a bit’  and display it in a dirty, shallow puddle with a door missing, I can’t really give any constructive advice. :christmas:

Trevor

• Like 1

Hey, fun topic! :popcorn:

Just as an FYI, as shown above, containers have a 4-letter code that end in "U", e.g., "CSLU"; the first 3 letters indicate the owner (which could be the lessor). Chassis have a similar 4-letter code, but those codes end in "Z".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Inaccurate numbers of ribs on sides and ends don't help when positioning decals.

Ah, Don't you love Trumpeter's research department....  I count 22 on the side of the kit, and 20 on this?

48676165412_756d1b8747_c.jpg

Or do they vary....  rivet counter is one things...now I'm a rib counter..... oh dear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm afraid Trumpeter clearly couldn't be bothered to go outside and count. IIRC both Trumpy and Italeri got the ribs wrong. The Trumpy end ribs are worse. It happens in all sorts of scales, some model railway ones get it wrong too. Yes I admit it, I'm a rib counter. Because the ribs are angled/chamfered I haven't been able to think of a way to scratchbuild accurately.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe "rib counting" is a thing unless you're talking about a specific example. 

Items specified in the standard include external size (20ft x 8ft x 8.5 ft for a 20ft container), internal size, door opening size, maximum tare, locations of the corner and mid-length fittings that receive the twistlocks, &etc.

• Thanks 1

You're right, in that the ISO specs don't spec ribs, but I've never found a 22 rib example yet. 

There are a couple of resin kits, from Minuteman Factory and Accurate Armour, but so far the price has put me off but I may get one (or both!) to compare. The Minuteman example apparently comes with decals, which is good, as I haven't found much out there.