Contrail 1/72 Blackburn Perth

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

you are building a Blackburn Wot?

In vacform?!!!

You must stop smoking funny cigarettes and go back to building Tamiya 1/72 Shake and Bake kits! Doctor's orders!

But if you must persist, then have a lot of fun.

JR 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Could be worse Pat - you might have tried a Sarafand with twice as many engines! At least the 4 Perths did see service and I believe it was the largest operational RAF biplane seaplane.

Looking forward to this - hopefully it recovers from a stall quite easily!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

Could be worse Pat - you might have tried a Sarafand with twice as many engines! At least the 4 Perths did see service and I believe it was the largest operational RAF biplane seaplane.

Looking forward to this - hopefully it recovers from a stall quite easily!

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete

I would love to get the COW gun for the front but don't know how to source or make one.

Ive seen a picture of the Sarafand, such a shame no one to my knowledge makes a kit of it, unless of course someone knows different ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Here is link to a a photo of said gun: https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1934/1934 - 0640.html

The dimensions are published so it would not be difficult to make up the barrel and firing chamber from card and rod. The magazine could also be made from card and rod. How much detail do you wish to add? In the True scale not much - a little juggling with some small pieces would easily give the right impression when viewed by most observers.

P

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

Yes it is impressive.

COW

Apparently the 40mm Vickers "S" anti tank gun used on the Hurricane IID was derived from it. Like you I can't find any ready made but if you were good with your hands it probably would not be too hard to make something that was a passable representation.

Pete

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Long overdue pictures of the kit below and the discovery of a problem already !

IMG_4645

IMG_4646

IMG_4647

IMG_4648

Although the parts have been removed from the backing sheet they have yet to be sanded down to their finished profile, so lots of work ahead.

The observant amongst you will notice that one side of the middle part of the tail is missing, I have a hole where I cut it from the backing sheet so this piece of muppetry is entirely of my own making !

This is the part

IMG_4650

I am missing the mirror image of it, 

Can I ask the font of knowledge that you guys have reading this to make suggestions as to how I can overcome this ?

The part looks relatively straight forward but, I'm honest enough to say I don't know how to overcome this.

On a more positive note as I have blooming loads to be getting on with in the meantime, it isn't critical at this stage.

cheers Pat

• Like 9

Hi Pat,

I presume that like most vac form pieces it is "hollow"? If you can't find it I would suggest that you fill the remaining half with a good filler such as Milliput leaving it "proud" enough to create the missing surface and then sand to shape - looks fairly simple and with a bit of scribing should do the trick as it is not going to be too visible - either that or start from scratch with thick plasticard. It's a long time since I did a vacform but I seem to remember some of them actually only gave one surface on horizontal tails and you had to fill and sand them anyway probably WWI biplanes!

Just a thought and the  vacform "Experten" may have a better idea.

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems to be symmetrical, so I'm guessing you could copy it and turn it over.

You could use Oyumaru - rubber that softens in hot water, you push it down over the part on a flat surface going "ouch ouch" because it's hot. It's a fiver on ebay and reusable. Then when it's cold you take out the part and fill the cavity with Milliput or Isopon P38 and level it off.

Or bent card and stretched sprue with a smear of filler over the top.

[edit] or what Peter said, just fill in the back and leave it a bit curved, with or without stretched sprue ribs.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pat, a good strat!  The white metal props looks a cit fatigated, I am sorry to say. I  have not experience with white metal props, I will look what can be done :).  Myself - I would try to replace then by plastic props found (? - hopefully) in a spare box... Have a good luck!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

I would treat white metal props like resin ones - put in warm but not boiling water for a minute then bend very gently. Warming it should reduce the risk of it snapping if my old metallurgy lectures were correct back in 1970!

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening Pat 

Oh my The best of luck with this . I notice that Valium is not included in the kit contents . Would have thought it a must for this undertaking . I am sure you will master this 

Martin H

• Haha 3

Hi Pat,

having read the predicament you brought over your own head, and short of sacrificing a virgin at the next full moon to ward the evil eye of the vacform demons, I would suggest to throw the whole lot in a big bonfire while the Jockney Clan dances around it singing merry songs about not being daft and sticking to shake and bake kits!

With the money you will have saved on anti-depressant and headache pills, you can then go and buy yourself a nice Tamiya kit of the likes I did mention a while back!

If you do persist in your heretic behavior, then there is nothing any of us can do to help you!

But it will sure be fun watching!!!!

And who knows, you may even enjoy it... sometimes.

JR

• Haha 2