This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Otakar

1/48 Bucker Bu 181 / Zlin C-6 / 106 / 206

Anyone have an opinion on the comparison between the Special hobby kit and the KP / Stransky kits? I was wondering which is liked better by anyone who has both of these kits. I still have two of the 20YO MPM short run kit in my stash. I have no problems with short run kits. In many instances I like them better than the new "super scale" kits which in some situations I consider overdone in surface detail. The MPM kit has very delicate surface detail which I do like. Obviously, some of the other detail is lacking especially on the interior. I did start one of my MPM kits and was interested in possibly buying something better. So which of the  "Newer" kits is the nicer one when it comes to detail. For me, slight fit issues are no issue at all. Myself, I am not a big fan of Special Hobby due to fidelity to scale measurements issues in many of their kits, IE their Spitfires / Seafires. In the case Of KP I know that they can overdue the surface detail sometimes. What do you guys think? Should I just maybe stick to the old HPM short run kit?

I did find some pictures of the sprues for the KP / Stransky kit. The surface detail especially on the fabric wing ribs looks very overdone. Has anyone an opinion? Anyone who has held one in their hands? I decided to start one of my 20 year old MPM short run kits since I found two in my stash. Obviously it is the typical short run of twenty years ago It might be even older than that. The detail on the wings is quite delicate and looks good. The fuselage looks quite spartan but I am not quite sure what detail there actually was. Any kind of panel lines and so forth. Anyone know if there is a way to remove the yellowing from the vac canopy? If there is no way, I might have to use it to make a new plug and vac a new one.

Well, I had a chance to pick up a Special Hobby kit for about $8US and also bought a Stransky (KP) kit. I must say, WHAT A DIFERENCE. The detail on the Stransky kit is a bit heavy for my taste but otherwise the kits are night and day. There are MANY shape problems with the Special Hobby kit which are very well represented on the Stransky kit. The canopy on the Stransky kit is MUCH better than the one on the Special Hobby kit. The Special Hobby canopy is thick and not very clear. Almost primitive by todays standards. The tail shape is completely wrong and is too small. The nose cap shape is also wrong on the S.H. kit. However I like the wing detail representation on the S.H. kit a bit better it is not as heavy handed. All in all I actually like the primitive short run MPM kit better than the S.H. kit for shape accuracy. On the MPM kit the tail is a bit too big but that is very easily fixed because you can always remove much easier than add. I have two of the MPM kits and decided to start with one of those. Because it is so inconvenient to post pictures here on this website, you can follow my build here. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=129252

Posted (edited)

I finished my MPM Bucker (Zlin) C-6. This is the early version NOT the 106. It has some added interior detail such as reworked seats and new spar bracing with seat belts from Different Scales 48001 ( Ex-Mars Models). You get five sets of German seatbelts for $1.45. I purchased two sets for any and all German style aircraft That I would ever build. Landing gear was scratch built because the kit only had the faired lower legs. Wheels are Special Hobby and some other slight modifications. I also added the wing open panel fabric detail which was missing on the bottom wing panels. I also reshaped the vertical tail sections to the right shape. The kit was oversized and the wrong shape and geometry. The Special Hobby has t a very grossly misshapen vertical tail but in their case it is undersized. I did not however reshape the mid-fin counterbalance. The color is mi mix to a match of Agama RLM 02 Acrylic. Interior is mi mix acrylic RLM 66 (FS36081) and seats are still RLM 02. Roundels are from tally-ho because the kit roundels had the white border much too thick and rest of the decals are kit decals which were very thin and otherwise of very good quality and were Propagteam.. I used the kit painting and markings instructions. The glazing was hand-masked because obviously there is no commercial masks available.  Because the canopy was very yellowed do to bad plastic and 20+ years of age I removed the yellowing with hydrogen peroxide and UV light. It became perfectly crystal clear again. As I mentioned before, the complete detailed build can be seen here https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=129252 these pictures are linked to that build.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Otakar