Differences between Mig-23ML and MLD

DaveJL

Hello all,

I'm planning on building a Bulgarian Air Force Mig-23 in the near future. I have a ML 'Flogger G' boxing by Trumpeter but the decals that I have on the way (Linden Hill) show the Bulgarian Option I wish to do as a MLD. Were there many visible differences between the ML and MLD in Bulgarian service?

Thanks

Dave

Bulgarian MLDs were Type 23-18 second-hand VVS MLDs, i.e. non-export variants (MLD-E). They were exchanged for BG's small fleet of recce MiG-25s. How to distinguish the MLs and MLDs? The BG MLDs featured the 'dog tooth' wing root, carried the standard VPS 50-60 flare dispensers on the upper fuselage, and wore the standard 1980s VVS tactical camouflage scheme. HTH.

32 minutes ago, Linden Hill said:

Bulgarian MLDs were Type 23-18 second-hand VVS MLDs, i.e. non-export variants (MLD-E). They were exchanged for BG's small fleet of recce MiG-25s. How to distinguish the MLs and MLDs? The BG MLDs featured the 'dog tooth' wing root, carried the standard VPS 50-60 flare dispensers on the upper fuselage, and wore the standard 1980s VVS tactical camouflage scheme. HTH.

Many thanks. I'm guessing then that my ML boxing of the kit wouldn't work for an MLD?

I've found this picture and it looks pretty much the same as the plastic that comes in the ML kit.

These are clearly MLDs: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6130787 - I presume the ex-Soviet aircraft mentioned by @Linden Hill. I'd add the nose pitot tube also has additional vortex generators which the ML variant does not have, not very well seen in that picture.

FYI, Aerofax book on MiG-23/27 says Bulgaria received both non-export (23-18) and export (23-22A) MLDs, plus MLs and MLAs to confuse us more. Maybe so, I really can't tell these apart...

According to the Aerofax book, Bulgarian 211 is MLD type 23-22A. That is, no dog tooth, no vortex generators, no top of fuselage dispensers. Based on this, I'd say your ML kit is as good as it gets for that purpose, whatever the actual type designation is.

You may be interested in this: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/244486-trumpeter-mig-23-ml-132-scale/

20 hours ago, Apex said:

According to the Aerofax book, Bulgarian 211 is MLD type 23-22A. That is, no dog tooth, no vortex generators, no top of fuselage dispensers. Based on this, I'd say your ML kit is as good as it gets for that purpose, whatever the actual type designation is.

You may be interested in this: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/244486-trumpeter-mig-23-ml-132-scale/

19 hours ago, Linden Hill said:

With 211 you're good to go with the ML kit. As Apex says states, the Bulgarians received both the export (23-22) and non-export (23-18) versions of the MLD. Some sources refer to the former as MLD-E.

Thanks chaps, that's exactly what I needed to know!