A Colourful Pony – Tamiya F-51D Mustang FAB-511 Fuerza Aerea Boliviana 1/72 - Part 1

Hi all,

Another rollout for me and this time I have returned to an area of interest that I exploited a while back with my F-80, T-33s, F-86Fs, TB-26B and others. That is Latin America. This time I have returned to a machine that caught my eye a number of years ago as she was unusual to me and reasonably colourful. The model – the first of a two-part RFI – shows F-51D “FAB-511” of the Fuerza Aerea Boliviana around the time of her delivery to South American. The photos I have (below) – and they are easily sourced on the web – are stated to be of her upon delivery. I question that given the USAF C-54 and a Herc that sit in the background of at least one image. I therefore prefer to think that she was pre-delivery. I could be wrong! Having said that, there is at least one available image of her in these colours while in service.

FAB-511 003

I built her before using an Airfix kit. this time I've gone for the Tamiya. I know it lacks the dropped flaps and has an incorrect spar but many Mustangs sat with flaps up and you cant see the spar ;). The plus side is the finish of the Tamiya kit, whch is superior in many ways. This was my first effort a few years ago and when I had just got back to modelling:

FAB511crop

She is ex-45-11453 and prior to going to Bolivia she was, post US military, registered as N5479V and was ultimately sold by Sanford Aviation to the FAB. She was delivered to Bolivia on 10th June 1966. Her Bolivian career ended in December 1977 when she was returned to North America as C-GXUP. Thereafter she became a racer and was finally trashed – poor her – on 12th February 1996 at Palm City, FL after being starved of fuel ☹. I’ll describe more of that in the next RFI – Part 2!

In building her I have chosen to vary the panels a little to give a break from a sea of same-tone NMF. It seems that by this time the putties and painted upper side of the wings was a thing of the past. Being a Tamiya kit, and as I said earlier, she did not have the dropped flaps and sadly (and wrongly) my impatience got the better of me and so I chose not to cut them and drop as I should have. Next time! 😊.

So, what did I use? Well, here goes …. And it’s not a lot!:

Kit – Tamiya F-51D Mustang 1/72 (54)

Decals – Blue Rider “Chaco War”, home printed serial, and the kit stencils etc. The rudder was painted.

Paints – Humbrol Interior Green (226), Insignia Red (155), Insignia Yellow (153), Gloss Green (??), Metalcote 27002 and 27003 mixes, Humbrol washes. Colourcoats Olive Drab, Matt black, and Humbrol Clearcote varnishes.

Washes – Flory dirt plus some swipes of Tamiya Weathering powders

A simple build.

Here she is:

DSC_0827

DSC_0826

DSC_0824

DSC_0823

I hope you like her. Now I need to finish my Sabre and get on with the next two Mustangs :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 45

21 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Looking spiffy👌

Still looks clean with a subtle wheatering...

cheers, Jam

19 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Very nice Mustang. Well done, Martin.👍

Thanks Jan and Vinnie

17 hours ago, Courageous said:

A lovely looking 'pony' with interesting markings.

SABRE...SABRE...SABRE!

Stuart

Patience, Stuart ;). The Sabre is coming along. First coats on. I'll get them buffed after a day or sow and get some panel variation on too. After that it'll be decalling and the final build. Thanks for yur comments about the markings on FAB-511. It is simple but always caught my eye :). Going back to a previous thread - this Mustang is the Metalcote build I mentioned.

12 hours ago, Hobo said:

A really sharp looking Mustang. I love the esoteric markings - a nice change of pace. There are a lot of colorful schemes from Latin America.

There certainly are, my friend. I have seven lined-up - another FAB, 2/3 x FAG, 1 x FAU and 1 x FAS :)

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Very nicely done. Nothing like some colour to spruce up those all-metal schemes, and this is a good one.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I agree, NMF - like current greys - can be boring. For that reason and for variation from the usual I love to build these Latins. :)

Martin

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

There certainly are, my friend. I have seven lined-up - another FAB, 2/3 x FAG, 1 x FAU and 1 x FAS :)

I am also tempted by a build of CF-FUZ, which I saw at Baton Rouge in 1980. DrawDecal produce a set for it. They have also provided the sharksmouth set for my next FAB build :). 

On 9/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, Mig88 said:

Superb!! Very nicely done indeed!

It's nice to see a Mustang in different colours. I intend to build three in Central American schemes (Guatemala, Costa Rica and Haiti)... someday 😏!

Miguel

Thank you, Miguel. As you can see from the thread, I have a number lined up. These are partly supported by a number of Aztec sheets that I have collected, although a number of other sheets and a little home printing will complete the rest of the decals.  I have at least three Guatemalteca machines in mind, for example. 

11 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Looks great! I like Latin Mustangs. 

Thanks too, Doc72. 

I have now realised that in the image above she seems not to have any seat fitted. I wonder if the photograph was taken mid-overhaul as I had already seen that she appeared not to have any radio mast or aerial fitted. Later she had a cable aerial from the fin to the fuselage.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Awesome job, very cool

Oo.. Sorry, mate, I missed your post! Thank you. I am very pleased with her although being a Tamiya kit it was an easy build. For me this build and the next few are about that actual subject ;)

Martin

7 hours ago, Josh G said:

Excellente, I love Latin American subjects and Bolivia is pretty cool 

Thanks Josh. I love them too, as you can see from my various builds. They are just a little more unusual ;). Of course, the Bolivians, like other air arms, went to camouflage later, offering further interest :)

Martin

• Thanks 1

On 4 September 2019 at 11:49 AM, RidgeRunner said:

Patience, Stuart ;). The Sabre is coming along. First coats on. I'll get them buffed after a day or sow and get some panel variation on too. After that it'll be decalling and the final build.

@Courageous Stuart, Sorry but a bit of a delay as my white decals are out of stock at Minibits and so she'll be a while more. They reckon two weeks or so which will get her done at the end of September? Meanwhile the next two Mistangs have lower wings on and I now need to cut the upper halves to take the Airfix dropped flaps. :)

Martin

• Like 1

Just to purge my lazy and impatient ways, I got the next two cut and ready for the Airfix flaps today :). The furthest one is to be FAB-511 in later guise .....

Martin

19F8D292-697E-495C-9C5F-D00F19F423D4

Edited by RidgeRunner

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 2:59 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all,

Another rollout for me and this time I have returned to an area of interest that I exploited a while back with my F-80, T-33s, F-86Fs, TB-26B and others. That is Latin America. This time I have returned to a machine that caught my eye a number of years ago as she was unusual to me and reasonably colourful. The model – the first of a two-part RFI – shows F-51D “FAB-511” of the Fuerza Aerea Boliviana around the time of her delivery to South American. The photos I have (below) – and they are easily sourced on the web – are stated to be of her upon delivery. I question that given the USAF C-54 and a Herc that sit in the background of at least one image. I therefore prefer to think that she was pre-delivery. I could be wrong! Having said that, there is at least one available image of her in these colours while in service.

FAB-511 003

I built her before using an Airfix kit. this time I've gone for the Tamiya. I know it lacks the dropped flaps and has an incorrect spar but many Mustangs sat with flaps up and you cant see the spar ;). The plus side is the finish of the Tamiya kit, whch is superior in many ways. This was my first effort a few years ago and when I had just got back to modelling:

FAB511crop

She is ex-45-11453 and prior to going to Bolivia she was, post US military, registered as N5479V and was ultimately sold by Sanford Aviation to the FAB. She was delivered to Bolivia on 10th June 1966. Her Bolivian career ended in December 1977 when she was returned to North America as C-GXUP. Thereafter she became a racer and was finally trashed – poor her – on 12th February 1996 at Palm City, FL after being starved of fuel ☹. I’ll describe more of that in the next RFI – Part 2!

In building her I have chosen to vary the panels a little to give a break from a sea of same-tone NMF. It seems that by this time the putties and painted upper side of the wings was a thing of the past. Being a Tamiya kit, and as I said earlier, she did not have the dropped flaps and sadly (and wrongly) my impatience got the better of me and so I chose not to cut them and drop as I should have. Next time! 😊.

So, what did I use? Well, here goes …. And it’s not a lot!:

Kit – Tamiya F-51D Mustang 1/72 (54)

Decals – Blue Rider “Chaco War”, home printed serial, and the kit stencils etc. The rudder was painted.

Paints – Humbrol Interior Green (226), Insignia Red (155), Insignia Yellow (153), Gloss Green (??), Metalcote 27002 and 27003 mixes, Humbrol washes. Colourcoats Olive Drab, Matt black, and Humbrol Clearcote varnishes.

Washes – Flory dirt plus some swipes of Tamiya Weathering powders

A simple build.

Here she is:

DSC_0827

DSC_0826

DSC_0824

DSC_0823

I hope you like her. Now I need to finish my Sabre and get on with the next two Mustangs :)

Martin

impressive, very well done

On 22 October 2019 at 11:50 AM, Christopher Ellul said:

impressive, very well done

Thank you, Christopher

18 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Martin, yet another outstanding build—bravo—out of curiosity & sorry if I missed it, what color did you do the wheel wells in?  Can’t wait for the next one—best, Erwin 

Hi Erwin!

Thank you for your kind words. I wasn't completely authentic (I don't think) because I simply did them Interior Green. I am pretty sure they should have been some zinc chromate and NMF. The next one(s)? Well, they are lined up near the final bend and ready to take on the last decals, some varnish, panel wash and weathering, and a final coat. Two are sat waiting for decal printing while I am applying the paint to the next two. Expect a flurry of ponies soon ;). 

Martin

PS: @VT Red Sox Fan Erwin, I got the coaming wrong. It shoyld be black but it was too late to change when I realised :(. 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

Martin, thank u for the info on the wheel wells—as I am getting ready to build a P-51D following the Defiant, my research has led me to believe you are correct that up through the -15 production block, P-51Ds had NMF Wells w/ a YZC spar through most of that block’s production—FWIW & to make it more interesting it seems there is a growing consensus that late P-51Ds were YZC overall due to corrosion issues (not sure if this started in late -15 or -20) production—apologize if I sound too authoritative than I am—I know there are plenty of experts who will nudge me in the correct direction if I am off—I think it is very reasonable to assume an operational post WW2  P-51D had wheel wells painted for corrosion control—your example and decision may be on point by my math for this particular P-51D build.  This P-51D is a spectacular example that I will leverage in my build—as always thank you for pushing me to become better in this hobby!  cheers Erwin 

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Flow