This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Eric Mc

80 Year Ago Today - Britain Declares War

Just thought that people should be reminded about what happened this day 80 years ago. It was a moment where our world changed forever - and in a minor way, kick started our hobby.

Official Prime Minister's announcement followed by important public messages - 

Edited by Eric Mc

Aircraft modelling predated WW2 - even plastic ones.  There's a wonderful book on Frog models, and another just on the Penguins.  They were bakelite rather than styrene, but so what?

I think you'll find that Eric knew that but was referring to the post war boom it initiated Graham

I remember seeing a book about scale modelling in my library around the time Airfix became 'a thing' in FW Woolworth that encouraged me to make a Spitfire from balsa wood in 1/72 scale

Which is a distraction from the point of Eric's post

At least we will not forget the grim times that began 80 years ago

I wasn't claiming there was no model building before World War 2. The ancient Egyptians made some great models of royal barges etc for insertion in tombs.

What I was referring to was the creation of injection moulding technology, advanced plastics  and the mass production of 1/72 models (for aircraft recognition training). And, from a cultural and interest point of view, the creation of the mass of aircraft, vehicle and ship technology on a vast scale which to this day provides massive inspiration and subject matter for us modellers.

Without the impetus of World War 2, I do not think the hobby as it developed in the 40s, 50 and 60s would not have happened on the scale it did. And we certainly wouldn't have all those subjects to model.

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The ancient Egyptians made some great models of royal barges etc for insertion in tombs.

Yeah, but that wooden Spitfire found in Tutankhamen's tomb was probably a fake.

But joking aside, my brother and sister both lived through the war and having listened to some of the stories that my Mum told me about those times, I'm glad that I didn't appear on the scene until 1946.

John.

Dad tells some interesting stories from the people he worked with who fought in WW2. He worked for Ford in the 70's with a bloke who flew Bf 109s in Switzerland, a Halifax tailgunner who was shot down in flames, a Hitler Youth AA gunner and an Italian bloke who fought on the Eastern Front. 

Dad,

thanks for what your generation did for this spinning piece of rock.

Strange to say, glad you're not here to see the utter mess that's been made out of yours and your brave friends sacrifice.

Sleep well.

80 Years Ago Today

Was my fathers mothers 30th birthday.