Macchi Castoldi M.33

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it ends today and I can’t really call it done as I’ve yet to get the numbers done. I practiced drawing them out first and had some success with the hull “7” but the rest were much too small for my poorly vision to deal with so it indeed looks as thought I’ll have to look into using a printer.  Also want to spray a coat of clear satin Vallejo on it weather permitting.  It has, however, been a little hectic around Chez DMC in the run up to Christmas and I have fallien behind somewhat. 

I’ve enjoyed participating in the GB and keeping tabs on the various entries.  Some very skilled modelling going on here.

resized_c6eed02f-f3c4-49b0-9e02-e63bd331

As for the diorama, well, my first attempt at a bit of landscaping using patching plaster somehow didn’t turn out how, in my minds eye, I envisioned it.  Stuff dried too  quickly and is much too heavy for my liking.  There is a product called Sculptamould that looks as though it might do but it is very expensive.  I thought I might try making my own.  There are several methods on YouTube and this one seemed easy enough so I’ll give it a try.  Who doesn’t have a loo roll to spare? 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=homemade+sculptamold+youtube&view=detail&mid=F4D5F39F19F7912C0B9CF4D5F39F19F7912C0B9C&FORM=VIRE

Meanwhile, thanks for all the likes, comments and suggestions. It’s been fun.

Dennis

• Like 6

That's a nice photo Dennis, your Macchi high above the blue Mediterranean Sea.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

it ends today and I can’t really call it done as I’ve yet to get the numbers done

Certainly not worth rushing the finish with such a lovely looking model. Best wishes for the rest of the build.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Courageous said:

what is your vision of a base?

In the Motorbooks book on the trophy races there is a small photo of the M.33 on a, apparently, quickly made ramp with the terrain on either side littered with the ramp cut-offs, rocks and other construction detritus.  I thought the sleekness of the M.33 fuselage/hull juxtaposed against this backgrounders would make for an interesting contrast.

resized_ef750e89-930c-479c-afcb-7b51461e

Cheers, Stuart 

• Like 3

I remember your concept now Dennis.

If it were me, the ramp is no problem with what you're using or scored plasticard, which is what used on my Shavrov dio. Insulation board could work here as it can easily be broken into rock like chunks, build up your area and secure with PVA. Mix up some water, sawdust and plaster into a slurry and cover your rocks and crevasses with it to taste. Acrylic gel medium for the water. Just my pennies worth.

Stuart

This picture, first posted on #103, was my first attempt.  I used patching plaster and it weighted as much as a couple of bricks.  I’ve since made another, without the grid where the water will be as I don’t think it necessary.  The new ramp is not yet fixed to the base so I can try different locations.   The Clearfix should be okay for the water and is about half the price of acrylic resin.  The hull will rest in clear vacuum formed hull copies.  I.ll use my homemade Sculptamold for the terrain.  

At least that’s the plan.  We’ll see how it all turns out

Cheers

Dennis

resized_a9db5e44-9713-4855-b36f-10203feb

• Like 3

On 12/22/2019 at 6:02 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking absolutely wonderful, great modelling

Thanks, Chris

On 12/23/2019 at 2:34 AM, AdrianMF said:

The aeroplane looks lovely. Look forward to seeing how the base turns out!

Thank you, Adrian.  Yes, back on that after the festivities are over,.  Too tempting to start another build.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:09 PM, Courageous said:

She does look very nice,

Thank you, Stuart, I’m allowing my self a small pat on the back as it’s the first one I can call finished (albeit sans decals) since I enlisted (July 9, 2015).

Dennis

On 12/8/2019 at 11:55 PM, DMC said:

Nacelle mounted.  Needs a touch up here and there but it’s straight and sturdy. Thinking about the “7” but meanwhile I need to crack on with the dio base.

resized_3c15a00d-e65f-479d-bf3e-6cf284d2

resized_f70db03b-3db4-4eef-8aca-f573883a

Thanks for dropping in.

Dennis

Just lovely!! Such fine exemplary work.  And I do very much like this image you found ..

resized_0ec30f49-f5aa-4657-9c86-39645865
looking forward to the conclusion of this!

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, greggles.w said:

ust lovely!! Such fine exemplary work.  And I do very much like this image you found ..

Thanks, Greg. Tempted to paint the wingtip bottoms as in the image but they wouldn’t be visible so forgot about it.  Tinkered around a little with the M.67 today.  So far both fuselage halves have been plunged as have the floats.  One float has been closed up but I’ve left the other open showing the lead sinkers and Milliput bulkheads for photos.  Started on that three bladed prop and spinner—the most difficult part of the build.  If that comes out ok I might start a WiP. 

Good ode to have you back.

Dennis

• Like 1

What a shame you did not quite finish Dennis. This was one of the lead builds in this GB in my opinion - an excellent example of scratch building. I am looking forward to seeing this completed and in the RFI section as I am sure that the numbers and base can be relatively easily finished.

P

On 1/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, pheonix said:

the numbers and base can be relatively easily finished.

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, really not that much to do.  I’ve made a new, better, ramp that I can move around until I’m sure of the position.  The patching plaster dried to fast and was very heavy so I’m  trying something else.  I tried drawing out the numbers but that didn’t work out so it looks as though I’ll have to look into having them made.  And so it goes.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1