Macchi Castoldi M.33

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lo

ve the colours Dennis

Thanks, Stuart, thought about painting the underside of the wingtips as I this  illustration but as it wouldn’t be seen didn’t bother.  Any thoughts on where I could get a “7” ? Guess I could try cutting a stencil.  

resized_0ec30f49-f5aa-4657-9c86-39645865

Edited by DMC
Picture added
  • Like 5

I would definitely go with a decal, as Stuart said. Even if you don’t go down the computer printing route, even painting it onto decal film first would be easier to lay out and confine booboos to easily replaceable film, not your model.

It is looking really smart.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Thanks for the tip, Adrian.  I confess I never considered painting the numbers on decal film.  I will look into it and see what I come up with as far as best paint - primer? - to use.  

Dennis

If you use decal film they might need a couple of thin coats of clear varnish to seal them if you use a pen, but paint should be OK without. I make a lot of decs that way, but use a graphics programme to produce them and it works pretty well.

Excellent example of scratch building by the way.

Pete

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

What a lovely model.

Thanks, Chris, home stretch now I hope.  

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Excellent example of scratch building by the way.

Thanks, Pete, and thanks for the decal tip.  Paint sounds doable, more so than a computer as I am an admitted Luddite.

Dennis

20 hours ago, pheonix said:

That looks really good

Thanks, Phoenix.  I’ll see how I get on with painting the “7” and if that doesn’t work then I’ll look into printing.  Just want to get this one done and dusted.  Did all eight of the float braces today - a task I have been avoiding - and I have to say the floats look okay.  Next the windshield, engine and the exhaust stubs and then I can see about the base.  Not much time left.

As much as i enjoy scratch building I admit to an urge to build a kit. Something in 1/72, a Camel or Dr1 perhaps.  We’ll see.

Dennis

• Like 3

Crikey Dennis, this is phenomenal. I don't know how I have missed looking in on this build previously, but I've just read through the thread from the start. A lovely result so far, and some fantastic scratchbuilding 'top tips' along the way. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the diorama base come to life and to seeing what the Macchi looks like 'in situ'. Thanks very much for sharing and for the inspiration - I'm putting together my first vacforming box at the moment (thanks to AdrianMF for that bit of inspiration!).

Jon

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

As I wait for bits to dry or set on my build I try to catch up on others, and I was lucky enough to find yours! An amazing build, I've learned more in the last half hour reading this that for years. I've dabbled with a bit of plunge moulding but never on this scale, truly impressive. I am also interested in your diorama ideas, I'd like to do something for my smaller kit, but as I came into this GB a bit late, I may run short of time.

Best wishes for the remainder which I look forward to following.

Cheers,

13 hours ago, Jonners said:

this is phenomenal

Well, wow!, what else can I say.  Thank you, Johnners, and your welcome, very much appreciated.  Good luck with your vacuum forming rig.  Always interested in seeing how other modellers go about making and using homemade rigs.

Dennis

12 hours ago, Johnson said:

amazing build

Thanks, Charlie, pleased you’re finding this thread useful.  I’ve done a little more on the dionbase, using patching plaster but I’m not happy with the results.  That stuff is heavy!  So I’m starting again using a different approach.  Deadline on this GB approaching much too fast.  Must stop dithering around.

Dennis

• Like 1

Progress of sorts.  Windscreen, empennage braces, float braces and exhaust stubs.  Stubs were the most difficult.  I wasted several lengths of tubing trying to get the correct diameter.  Everything else pretty routine, stretched spru, etc.  Nacelle next and then dealing with those pesky numbers. 

Thank for looking in.

Dennis

resized_6a5186ac-2dad-4ae0-bada-61df9261

• Like 12

That looks very impressive. Getting those exhaust stubs in looks as though it was a real fiddle but that engine assembly really does look good. The floats are good too - in fact a fine piece of scratch building going on here.

9 hours ago, pheonix said:

fine piece of scratch building going on here.

Thanks for that, Phoenix.  Yes, the stubs were a bit fiddly as you can see they are a bit wonky.  I had a limited length of the correct diameter with 24 stubs to do.  I cemented two lengths together so I only had six a side to line up on a thin strip of .010 styrene that fit into the slot.  Should have doubled that up to four which would have made it easier.  I used up several lengths of tubing stretching them to the right size.  Fiddly indeed.

Thanks again for all you kind comments.

Dennis

59 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

bit light inside

Hmmm, running lean then, need to richen the mixture a little.  Yes, a touch of grey should do it.

Thanks, Adrian 

Dennis

• Haha 2

Nacelle mounted.  Needs a touch up here and there but it’s straight and sturdy. Thinking about the “7” but meanwhile I need to crack on with the dio base.

resized_3c15a00d-e65f-479d-bf3e-6cf284d2

resized_f70db03b-3db4-4eef-8aca-f573883a

Thanks for dropping in.

Dennis

• Like 13