Macchi Castoldi M.33

On 10/29/2019 at 7:11 AM, pheonix said:

Looking at the photo and your model I do not think that the engine nacelle is too big

.. I’d second that. I think perhaps the more luminous white finish makes the nacelle more prominent?

Now at risk of descending into pointless pedantry, the type the internet cultivates so well, I have a contrasting reference re the colour of No.7:

M33 profile

It’s from my principle reference book on all things Macchi, but just because it’s in print, with the text authoritatively half in Italian, half in (misspelled) English ... who can say??

• Like 1

Caught out again. Failed to register with me that the ‘boat, #7, in the above photo was not the one that had to drop out because of engine problems.  I have yet to find a photo of #6 so can’t vouch for a paint scheme.   Probably all red, or maybe not.  I’ll have to give it some thought.  

Meanwhile there are these:

resized_d7711bbb-8655-490b-8a7c-cd1df2fc

resized_b379823b-5d8a-4456-997c-a48e6ee5

Decisions decisions

Dennis

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

what a cracking model you have created

Thanks, Chris, very kind and much appreciated.  Here’ one of it all in prime and with the diagonal struts just pegged in place.  Much better all one colour as the nacelle doesn’t pop out at you as much.   I’ve done a little work on the base but I’m not happy with it so will do some of it over.  Same concept, however.

Thanks again

Dennis

resized_6d89af8c-bc07-4cd2-97ae-d0f15109

• Like 12

1 hour ago, greggles.w said:

didn’t lead you astray!

'Not at all.  I can only think team Macchi, in the photo, were in the process of painting #7 all silver and had yet to do the hull.  I have yet to find a photo of either #6 or #7 all in red.  And, the photos of the silver one have no # so could be 6 or 7.  No matter, really because, as we speak, it is now all red.  Pics when available light improves.  

And, did you get my reply re M.67 plans?

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DMC said:

And, did you get my reply re M.67 plans?

Yes, confirmed, & belatedly responded just now - we may finally have a reliable connection!

I just painted a tiny strip of red, the fin flash, & it’s perplexing - when will the coats transition from pinkish-crimson to red?!  I stopped at 4x at 15min intervals ... it’s such a life-long, hard-earned discipline to know when to stop fiddling (painting / sanding / glueing/ etc, etc) & leave it be ...

Any red insights will be welcome!

On 11/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, greggles.w said:

Any red insights will be welcome

Doubt this photo will give you any insights, Greg, but the Macchi sure is red enough.   The colour is Vallejo Model Air Ferrari red over Halfords “mustard” filler primer.  The Model Air is slightly translucent, first coat, and the colour of the primer comes through and warms and brightens the red up.  I have tried grey primer with the red but much prefer the mustar/ochre colour.  Model Air is advertised as being airbrush ready but I find a few drops of thinner will help it spray better.  I suppose, however, that not all the colours are the same thickness so a little experimenting is advised.  I used the “Ultimate” brand thinner and must have got the mixture just right as the finish is dead smooth without any flaws.  I’ll buff it up a little and perhaps apply a coat of Vallejo varnish if necessary.

resized_b689a0b0-0a75-4575-bd05-78964ae0

The elevator rib tapes were done done with the masking tape primer method.  I think I prefer the styrene strip method, using .005 thickness styrene.  Elevator trailing edges could have been a little finer.

resized_c4509fde-6009-4872-8bcf-724cdca0

Rudder also done using tape tape and primer.  All in all, very pleased with Vallejo paints and the Ultimate thinner.  Should add that I used my budget KMoon £10 airbrush to apply the paint.  I have a thread over on the airbrush page on how I tuned the brush up.  Might be helpful.

resized_29da02c9-cee9-4559-920a-b11ba538

Thanks for looking in

Dennis

• Like 10

Looking great Dennis, & I’m genuinely appreciative for the time you’ve taken to outline your process.

I’ll definitely be slipping across to read your budget airbrush tips.  I had one, way back around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall ... it was the pinnacle of my equipment, quite an investment of my acres of lawn-mowing earnings.  My father was very supportive: my Christmas present - it was about that time - was a spare car tyre on a rim!  When it was time to paint I had to negotiate with some adult to add a diversion to their shopping trip, with the wheel in the boot to be pumped up at the service station .. it then gave a very focused, fixed time-frame to a paint session!!

I have yet to reinvest.. your thrifty tips have both a practical & nostalgic appeal!

21 hours ago, pheonix said:

Super and very striking finish for the red

Thanks, Phoenix.  Yes, I thinks so too. Pleased with the way it turned.  Still learning about airbrushing.

Dennis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Looking great Dennis,

Thanks, Greg, and happy to share my humble knowledge of anything to do with modelling.

A spare tyre.  I’ve read about using one but never knew anyone that did.  You had a pressure gauge and filter I assume.  Around the same time I was just getting to grips with my new Badge 150.  I had a large Sears Roebuck compressor.  Made a heck of a racket.  Can’t remember what paint I used.  Water based.I’m sure.  Still have the Badger.

Chec YouTube vids for inexpensive airbrushes reviews.

Dennis

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice

'Thanks, Adrian.  I have an illustration that depicts the hull and floats bottoms in white.  Like the M.39, etc.  Might go with that.

Dennis

On 11/13/2019 at 7:13 AM, Courageous said:

You?

Last year was my final trek to Telford I’m afraid.  I’m getting on a bit and a bus, two trains up, the scrum and the same on the return takes it out of me.  Would have liked to say hello but there you go.  Nothing much needed for modelling anyway.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done since my last photos.  Had some touching up to do on the red paint, cleaned up the paint on the tri-colour and rigged the empennage bracing rods.  I struggled getting the red white demarcation line even but as the hull will be half submerged it won’t show anyway so not too concerned.  

Not to much to do now: float braces, exhaust stubs and, of course, the diorama base.  Looking out for suitable decals but no luck so far.  

Thanks for looking in.

Dennis

resized_189e8341-2d64-4d86-9a3d-42553b63

• Like 9