Airfix 1/48 B-57B

Nothing prettier that a shiny black Canberra in my mind.

It's not a bad kit but a little frustrating at times due to less than perfect engineering for things like the flap attachments.  Once done it is difficult to handle due to its size and weight, a little over a pound with enough ballast to sit on the nose gear.  There are issues with accuracy of surface detail, and the aft end of the canopy is too shallow, but that is hard to see with an open canopy.  I used Phase Hangar tail surfaces and a CMK Resin and PE cockpit set which are both very good.

There is a build log here:

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/b57/1b57/1b57.html

0141b57.jpg

0151b57.jpg

0161b57.jpg

0171b57.jpg

0181b57.jpg

0191b57.jpg

Thin plastic rod was used to replicate vent lines on the tip tanks.

0201b57.jpg

0211b57.jpg

0221b57.jpg

0231b57.jpg

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Hello Jeaton,

I never really like this type of plane, but you make me change my mind by now. This is an  absolute cracker in this glossy scheme!!  Whooow! 

Absolute lovely and perfect finish......and wonderful! 

Cheers

Andy 

Excellent job, John! I feel like your finish here is almost good enough to be displayed in the automotive section!

One thing I noticed when viewing the pictures, it looks as if the inboard flap on the starboard side has either drooped after gluing or somehow been bumped, it’s at a much different angle than the rest of the flaps.

Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, fubar57 said:

That is one heck of a glossy paint job. Well done for achieving this

I don't have an airbrush but, for a smooth glossy finish I use Halfords Acrylic car paints.Don't know if you have ever used them but, they have a wide range of colours including matt primers.

They don't smell very nice but they give an excellent, very smooth  and durable finish.

Ones I have used most are, Appliance White, Ford Diamond White, Ford Polar Grey, Nissan Red, Nissan Yellow. They have good metallic shades as well.

Just do not ever apply over enamel paints, at least not without some form of protective varnish.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Thanks, all, your comments are much appreciated.

Alan, we don't have Halfords here is the colonies.  They sound like good paints.

Radmax, I did notice that flap after posting the photos.  I'm not altogether happy with the set of the main gear tires either.  Luckily neither is noticeable in the display case.  Airfix did not give the modeler much help in how either the flap or the wheels attached.

• Sad 1

Beautiful! Excellent skill on display achieving such a nice glossy finish. It's easy to get glossy, but "scale glossy" is much more difficult. I think you've got it.

Cheers,

Bill

6 hours ago, jeaton01 said:

Radmax, I did notice that flap after posting the photos.  I'm not altogether happy with the set of the main gear tires either.  Luckily neither is noticeable in the display case.  Airfix did not give the modeler much help in how either the flap or the wheels attached.

Sometimes it’s just best to stick a fork in it. If you have my luck, any repairs would end up causing 4 other issues, each worse than what I was trying to fix. Luckily it doesn’t detract much from the overall build quality. 

Canberra is a great aircraft. Sorry British fellows, I do not wish to spark any discussions but B-57 versions with the tandem seat and canopy look better than British versions, in my opinion... Gives the aircraft a more stylish look...

And this is one great B-57B Canberra model. Very good, sir !