This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
bentwaters81tfw

Daily Fail manages a proper report on aircraft modeller!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7419109/Retired-RAF-engineer-85-spent-60-years-building-close-300-models.html

Nice not to have some of the disparaging cliches this time.

P.S. Enable your Ad Blocker first!

Umm... a close reading reveals quite a few fails. Still, it's an uplifting story, even if the photo of him holding a Gladiator is captioned as an HP 42, and there's repeated mention of the Mustang 'Flying Fortress', among other oddities.

I never said it was 'accurate'. That would be too much to expect. :whistle:

Just now, bentwaters81tfw said:

I never said it was 'accurate'. That would be too much to expect. :whistle:

True, you didn't say that. :D  Nice that they treated it with respect, (Although not enough respect to write legible notes, apparently.).

like the Heinkel 111 which bombed the UK heavily with bombs during the war.

Just read that piece and it’s reported that most are carved out of balsa.  Hmmm, that I doubt but nice story anyway.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just read that piece and it’s reported that most are carved out of balsa.  Hmmm, that I doubt but nice story anyway.

It's entirely possible.  Choices from kits would have been limited apart from obvious types until 90s or so.

W.O.Doylend of Dorset built over 600 1/72 British aircraft between the thirties and 1990.  All entirely from beech with perspex and wire details.  His collection filled two catalogues at Christies and sold between £100 and £3000 each.

23 minutes ago, malpaso said:

It's entirely possible.  Choices from kits would have been limited apart from obvious types until 90s or so....

Really?  Airfix issued a Saunders-Roe SR53 in the 1960s, to name just one.  That's the only injection kit there's ever been of that afaik.  And that's just one example.  In many ways Airfix, Frog et al were more adventurous then than now.

And I was looking at the pictures, thinking something like, "Airfix, built it; Airfix, built it; Airfix, never did; Frog, built it; ..."

26 minutes ago, malpaso said:

It's entirely possible. 

Indeed!  But many have a “kit” look about them.  Not questioning his honesty, just thought the reporter might have misunderstood.  Kudos to the gentleman for even finishing them all, balsa or plastic.

Decades ago I subscribed to World War 1 Aero and I remember an article about an elderly gent that carved a great many models out of wood.  They were, in a word, amazing.  Can’t remember the details but they were brush painted and I think he used buttons for wheels.  True labour of love

Dennis

Well it did say in the article he was a carpenter so making decent models from wood ought to have been easier for him than for many of us!  

And don’t forget all those classic kits we love were often mastered in wood.

Damn, I'm going to have to live to be 124 now at his rate. I do like his Beverley though. :)

Steve.

Definitely quite a few classic plastic kits spotted on his shelves - so I would guess most of his collection is indeed plastic rather than wood.

Reporter says wood = probably plastic, with some wood every now and again.