Cobra Warrior at Waddington ** more photos added **

Red Dot

hi all,

A few photos from the first day of the Cobra Warrior exercise based at RAF Waddington for the next three weeks. Thanks to glyn (with a small G 😉) for a fun day

cheers

Andy

C-130-Israel-AF.jpg

F-15-Israel-AF-11.jpg

F-15-Israel-AF-28.jpg

F-15-Israel-AF-34.jpg

F-15-Israel-AF-4.jpg

F-15-Israel-AF-7.jpg

Shadow-RAF-9.jpg

Typhoon-German-AF-14.jpg

Typhoon-German-AF-15.jpg

Typhoon-German-AF-8.jpg

Typhoon-Italian-AF-10.jpg

Typhoon-Italian-AF-6.jpg

Edited by Red Dot
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting these. I'm thinking about taking a trip there to catch the Israeli Eagles. 

Where would you recommend setting up, in the viewing enclosure? Asking as I've never been except on airshow days.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Terrific photos Andy. Not sure I'll be able to get over but, I'd also be interested to know your vantage point and how busy it was? Did you need to be hovering around the WAVE at 3am to get a spot?

Hi all, thanks for the nice comments.

The dustbins or R2D2s behind the cockpit are covering satellite receivers I believe.

As for going along to Waddington, the photos were taken from the WAVE end on the roadside verge on the WAVE SIDE using a set of step ladders, the taller the better, to avoid heads on the other side of the road.

The RAF police wouldn't let you have big steps on the airfield side but you could stand over there with very small stools. These would be fine for photos as the hedge is well trimmed.

I was using a 100-400mm lens on a full frame camera body and most of the pictures are not cropped. Glyn and I were standing opposite the taxi way nearest the WAVE.

By 07.45 the car park was full (I got there at 06.45 as I had never done this before) but there was plenty of parking available all day in the overflow field. There were about 300 people there but plenty of space where we were if you get there early enough, say by 08.30

I think it will be quieter next week as the thrill will have gone a bit. I will probably be in the same spot next Monday and/or Tuesday with some American friends so look out for the tall bloke on the tall ladder and a guy with a cowboy hat 😉

Exercuse flying started around 10.00 until 13.30 but as Glyn said, they flew later too which was unexpected. The clouds were in by 13.30 so we left having got photos we weren't going to beat.

It was a great morning out and well worth the effort

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hi Andy. Thanks for your reply and the helpful info about visiting. I had a great day there, and can thoroughly recommend it (Cobra Warrior) to fast jet fans. The WAVE is a great spot to base yourself, and the staff and volunteers are very helpful and friendly. I would recommend a small step ladder for photography, I didn't have one and struggled to get some shots. The fence and hedge are just a tad too high.

@Adam Poultney hope you like these

Waddo19 001

Waddo19 495

A couple of guys seemed to be working on the Vulcan, and moving the bombs around for some purpose or other. So it was nice to see the old girl is being cared for.

Cheers.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 11:48 AM, Red Dot said:

So I see, but it is still well worth going

Hi Andy, 

I'm thinking of heading there on Friday. Will you be there? Where are the best spots to be? I realise there are few!

Thanks.

Martin

Hi Martin,

The WAVE end on the A15 is great for taxing and landings at that end, plus takeoff towards you if you have a long 400mm-ish lens.. the car park was only half full yesterday, so no issues there.

At the other end, park in the layby and walk left along the road towards the runway centre line. Stop on the right hand side of the road about 50 yards from the big tree on the left. The aircraft pass right in front of you

Andy