Revell CL-415 Fire Bomber

10 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I once happened upon a model building tv show on PBS many, many years ago.  They were building this very aircraft but I cannot remember what kit they used.  Maybe Heller?  This will be fun to see come together.

Yes it was the Heller kit. i saw it about 20 years ago myself. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So this one stalled quite a bit......loss of mojo...and then our home boiler broke down for 2 weeks which meant I didn't feel much like modelling in the house as it was too cold in the evenings.

Anyway, mojo is back and so is the heating. I'll hardly be finished this in time but will carry on anyway..

30g of weight stuffed in the nose.

49247024693_632fffb5f4_b.jpg

And getting ready for paint. The fit of the engines to the wing wasn't great.

49247488586_b4f125b50d_b.jpg

Base coat of pink primer from a Tamiya rattle can

49247024243_92061bbb1f_b.jpg

And then on with the yellow. I think the shade might be a little too dark but just happy to get paint on. I decided to paint the wings and fuselage separately as they wouldn't fit together in my spray booth.

49247697237_d5e6293422_b.jpgRevell CL-415 Wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Hope to get painting done this afternoon and maybe start on decals tonight.

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 7

Hi Dermot,

Great progress! Could you clarify why you chose pink primer for a yellow aircraft? I'm just curious to know. I always use white primer as a base for vivid colours like yellow or red.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

I think the choice of pink is showing the Dermo has gone on one of those inclusion training courses that have now become mandatory. He can use this in his end of year review with his boss to show how he has benefited from the course.

Alternatively it might have been cheaper than the other colours in the shop !

• Haha 3

On 12/20/2019 at 11:22 PM, jrlx said:

Hi Dermot,

Great progress! Could you clarify why you chose pink primer for a yellow aircraft? I'm just curious to know. I always use white primer as a base for vivid colours like yellow or red.

Cheers

Jaime

Cheers Jaime, just wish I had it finished in time.

Some of the lads in the club recommended pink as a primer for yellow - I can see why as it gives a real depth to the colour.

I think for someone with better airbrushing skills than mine, it's the way to go; you can build up the colour gradually and the pink can help with variations in the tone of the topcoat....so it's not just all plain yellow if you know what I mean?

Maybe try it on a mule first before your favourite kit!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, JOCKNEY said:

I think the choice of pink is showing the Dermo has gone on one of those inclusion training courses that have now become mandatory. He can use this in his end of year review with his boss to show how he has benefited from the course.

Alternatively it might have been cheaper than the other colours in the shop !

Pat on the money as usual! :worthy:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dermo245 said:

Cheers Jaime, just wish I had it finished in time.

Some of the lads in the club recommended pink as a primer for yellow - I can see why as it gives a real depth to the colour.

I think for someone with better airbrushing skills than mine, it's the way to go; you can build up the colour gradually and the pink can help with variations in the tone of the topcoat....so it's not just all plain yellow if you know what I mean?

Maybe try it on a mule first before your favourite kit!

Cheers,

Dermot

Thanks, Dermot. I may give it a go in a future build.

Cheers

Jaime