Revell CL-415 Fire Bomber

This kit has been boxed by Italeri, Heller and Revell. I think the original moulds are from Heller.

Nice choice Dermot.

I have a later release Heller reboxing of this one which I forgot about! Too many flying boats, not enough time!

• Like 3

Hi Dermot!

Welcome to the GB! Great looking machine! I've been eyeing the Italeri boxing, so I'll be following with interest.

Good luck!

Jaime

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So some photos of this one to get started..

Just about fits on the bench. Bought in a "50% sale" a couple of years ago in a hobby shop in the Netherlands.

48935355716_dd4e88e251_b.jpgRevell CL-415 Boxtop_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Lots of yellow plastic.

48934809663_2177ef1bbf_b.jpgRevell CL-415 contents_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Nice looking decal sheet

48935542982_968f998225_b.jpgRevell CL-415 Decals by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Hang on...there's a white sprue in there as well!

48935355616_2b0490c613_b.jpgRevell CL-415 extra by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Just the 30g of nose weight needed...

48935542962_b654e19098_b.jpgRevell CL-415 instructions by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Mix of raised and recessed details.

48935355711_71bb9230be_b.jpgRevell CL-415 close up by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

• Like 10

Nice kit! I have built a couple and also the earlier CL-215 that Heller did. Common sprues between the two with the white sprue for parts to make the 415. The decal choice was also done by Leading Edge Models which I plan to do sometime.

Leave the rivets though,,, they are prominent on the real thing too!

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to this - one of those “why have I never bought one of these?” kits.

Not only do the instructions call for 30g of nose weight, they seem to suggest putting it in an impossibly small space!

• Haha 2

No, there's a fair bit of room behind the nose wheel bay.

I secured a No 10 fishing sinker with no difficulty. Only problem - puts a bit of stress on the not very strong mlg which has given the model a bit of a bandy-legged look.

Rog

• Thanks 1

I had a friend who was a mechanic for the Manitoba government's CL-215 fleet. He said when the '415s came out the basic airframe parts were identical, but had different part numbers and therefor could not be legally used on the '215. Just a factoid I thought I'd share. Now our '215s are for sale and we have a few '415s in service but that might change, out new conservative gov't wants to privatize fire fighting. I'm sure someone could get a good deal on the whole lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the weak undercart under the weight, SAC( Scale Aircraft Conversions) do white metal replacement legs.  I used a set to replace the damaged ones of my 215 when I restored the model.  I also have a spare set for my 415 to come.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BPLF posted  ".......our 215's are for sale........." !

Send some over here ! We're is bushfire mode already [talk to NSW & Queensland posters ! } and it looks like we're in for a torrid summer !

Rog

Dermo - there are photo walkrounds in the IPMS(UK) Magazine:

Issue 4 of 2014 has a walkround of a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources CL 215 (ex-Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources) - the markings are easily amended from a Leading Edge Decal sheet.

Issue 5 of 2017 has a walkround of a French CL 415.

If you don't have these issues but are at Telford in a fortnight have a look in the "Give an Old Kit/Magazine" section as you go in to the Kit Swap area - there are often sets of old Magazines there in return for a donation to the chosen charity.

I also have a copy of an article about correcting the CL 415 kit - drop me a message and I will email it on to you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So a little bit of progress on this one..

Started on the interior & cockpit

49006578371_70cff4370f_b.jpgRevell CL-415 WIP_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Quick dry fit

49006578271_6930c118c9_b.jpgRevell CL-415 Wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

There are some ejector marks in the main cabin but with the windows so small, I'm not going to bother with them as I don't think they will be seen.

49006578181_cc6a7a0859_b.jpgRevell CL-415 Wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 10

I 'll follow this build as it has rekindled my interest in the type. Got one in the stash ana set of LEM decals for it.

As for the real machine, every country susceptible to forest fires should have at least two on standby and many do.

• Thanks 1

I once happened upon a model building tv show on PBS many, many years ago.  They were building this very aircraft but I cannot remember what kit they used.  Maybe Heller?  This will be fun to see come together.

• Like 1