F.173 Bleriot XI

Ventora3300

I'm at the stage on my builds now that I am fairly confident that I can add another 'Trailblazer' kit to this GB - the Bleriot XI. I picked this one because it is fairly small and uncomplicated and should mostly be painted before assembly and it's also a really fascinating subject as well.  There does look like there will be rigging though! Also, what other kit comes with a piece of the Dover Cliffs turf as a diorama?

zxCVy8N.jpg

The kit colour is 'linen' anyway so I can leave those parts 'bare'

XAJszv1.jpg

Educational list of parts included.

25Ee4Tn.jpg

There's the extra piece of history text that comes with the Trailblazer kits - lovely!

KP1suYh.jpg

Oversized figure also present as well as the scaled pilot - hope I get the colour of Louis' moustache right!

JDL1jjQ.jpg

• Like 11

Thought I had seen one of these mentioned previously - nice one! The wing rigging should be easy enough to get at, but the fuselage frame could be another matter unless you are using stretched sprue?

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes

This is such great news to add not only another kit which we didn't have until now but also one of the "Trailblazers " .

I have to say it looks a very nice kit, all fingers and toes crossed for an enjoyable trouble free build.

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

Well done Mike, glad to this Bleriot making an appearance. Frog really did grace us with some lovely Trail Blazing kits and this one fits in with your Frog theme perfectly. The original moulds look good too. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Well done Mike. It looks like a lovely little kit, and as you say, what great box art.

But to me, it looks as scary as the real thing, with all those tiny bits!

Looking forward to seeing the build.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Mike

Have you had a chance to do any more to this one ?

Pat, this has been out of the box for a bit of 'planning' - I'm going to do 'wood effect' on most of it when I do similar on the prop of the Bristol 138A so should be moving soon. Rigging needs to be planned in as well!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been doing some painting 'on the sprue' - quite difficult to tell from the box-art which bits are wood and which are steel. The 'bed-end' at the front is easily steel! The fuselage is a mix of wooden members and fabric covering - I'm leaving the fabric pieces (includes the wings and rudder) in the original plastic colour - very near 'Linen', which is what I painted the flotation bag'.

hiiN1Ik.jpg

Parts going together now courtesy of a night in a Premier Inn! (Hope it survives the return flight). Very fiddly and not many locating holes to help fit the struts together. The rigging holes are already drilled in the main wings - just need clearing out.

3zMynTN.jpg

Yes, the prop spins!

kVnwyj7.jpg

Lots of paint touch-ups required. The tail wheel looks extra fiddly.

fEIQqMf.jpg

• Like 10

Great to see a start on this one Mike. There appears to be a bit to do and you’re obviously thinking this build through throughly to minimise problems down the track. Watching on as always. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

On 24/09/2019 at 15:58, Johnson said:

Great stuff Mike. I'm fascinated by this kit, like nothing I've ever seen or built!

Thanks, Johnson - me too.

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great to see a start on this one Mike. There appears to be a bit to do and you’re obviously thinking this build through throughly to minimise problems down the track. Watching on as always. 

Cheers.. Dave

Yes, Dave, and on further examination, I've still made a couple of boo-boos with the front undercarriage legs - they should be pushed together and both mounted on the outer uprights each side of the 'bed-end' rather than on separate uprights each side as I've done (if that makes any sense!) The written instructions are scant of detail but a study of the pictures, paint guide and box art give a lot of clues. Just hope I can make the alterations without breaking anything....

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! I've built the old Inpact 1/48 one (Lindberg boxing). I wouldn't recommend trying to do the fuselage cross-brace rigging in 1/72. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian, I wish it was in 1/48! I'm sure @PeteB reminded me of the fuselage rigging earlier and I did gulp!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks, Adrian, I wish it was in 1/48! I'm sure @PeteB reminded me of the fuselage rigging earlier and I did gulp!

Yes Mike,

I mentioned that I managed to used stretched sprue on the tail booms of my Revell DH2 which is similar in concept, but a good deal bigger and with wider spacing. The Bleriot will be a darned site harder to get at and you will need a magnifier I suspect, but the principle is the same. As to whether or not it is worth the effort, that has to be your choice, but if you find you are pushed for time I would give it a miss and just stick to rigging the wings.

Good luck!

Pete

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Mike

Have you had a chance to do anymore since we last heard from you ?

Cheers Pat 

It's very small and fiddly this one - I need to crack on though. Just working out the next move with trying to drill the longerons (hope I've got my terminology right) for rigging (rear fuselage). I think the answer is 'no dice' so more soon. I did get a little done on the DH88 but won't post until the Bleriot moves on.

• Like 3

What a 'work at home' Thursday I've had! Those pesky e-mails kept interrupting the modelling but more done on the Bleriot XI.

Main undercarriage is back on after altering the struts and the axle between the wheels to re-instate. Wings are on.

CvLJXG2.jpg

Also the rear wheel which is a very complicated arrangement. The Instructions give no clues and the best guide is the colour guide/picture! Also, there are no locating holes for anything (other than the wings) so you just have to glue and position where you think.

U6DJnYK.jpg

I gave the flag a bit of 'flutter' and Louis has his best blue suit on! Just the top rigging frame to put on and construction will be complete. A lot of painting, re-painting and touch ups to do before we get to rigging.

3qdaF80.jpg

Surprise! When (avidly) reading this month's 'Flypast' the article on WW1 titled 'Mesopotamian Melee' has a pre-war picture of a Bleriot XI in Turkish markings! Apparently, in Feb 1915, one of these dropped grenades on the RN's HMS Majestic! Oh, Louis, what have you started......?!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Brilliant work Mike. 

Really pleased to see you entering into the spirit of this particular build.

I can imagine you at home working on the Bleriot, stripey tee shirt, beret at a jaunty angle dipping your crossaint in your black coffee......

I would give the Gauloises a miss. 2 reasons;

A. Not very good for you, and we all want you around for a long time yet.

B. Don't want to get ash on the model, or tobacco induced weathering !

Bon Chance Mon Ami !

• Haha 3

So it was all Louis' fault??

Come to think of it where would this hobby be without a bit of tit for tat face slapping between European nations... and even we got dragged into it living about 50,000 Bleriot XI flying hops away? 

She's coming up trumps Mike... nice productive working day by the way! 😉

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1