Beriev A-40, Be-200 and R-1

Dirty little sod !!

I feel your pain - we've got one like that, geriatric, deaf, incontinent, skin 'n' bone, - bit like me, really.......  :o{

Gonna have to burn the w.i.r.carpet before we sell.........

• Haha 3

A-40 finished! Final steps were all pretty straightforward. A little sanding of the wheels was needed to get as many as possible touching the ground at the same time. I made new undercarriage doors from thin plastic card (the kit doors were way too thick) and repaired the refuelling probe with the aid of a bit of brass rod. Finally restored the 1 to the bort number. Here's one photo, more in the gallery.

1/144 Beriev A-40

• Like 9

On to the Be-200. This is the Eastern Express kit, so short run, no locating pins, and less than perfect fit. However I've made quite quick progress - added some weight inside the forward fuselage and got the fuselage and wings together pretty quickly. As you can see there are a few fairly big gaps to fill, which I got on with after taking these photos. Also not shown here are the engine components which are in the garage with a coat of primer drying. I think this should be a fairly quick build.

1/144 Be-200 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 4

A bit of progress with the Be-200 today. Fuselage joints cleaned up, wings added, engines assembled. The wings took some persuasion to get something close to the same anhedral on both sides (one of them really wanted to be dihedral!) but got there in the end. Pretty big gaps to fill at the wing roots though.

Be-200 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

Fantastic progress on these.

Sorry but your comment about the ex Novo employee getting the job with A Model is so good you cant help but wonder if theres some truth in it !

Considering how deep Seaplanes have traditionally been these look like a standard aircraft, a victory for great design. 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

I've been slowly plugging away at the Be-200 over the last few days. First getting the wings and windscreen blended in, then painted the engines (I thought it would help to have them painted before attaching them). So here it is before I attached the engines:

Be-200 WIP

Then attached and blended in the engines:

Be-200 WIP

Tailplanes need a bit of filler at the roots. Apart from that, once the floats are done it'll be time to start painting. It's gone together a lot quicker than I thought, although I've used about as much filler as I thought I would!

cheers

Julian

• Like 8

On 11/5/2019 at 12:08 AM, AdrianMF said:

Wow. I don’t know whether LOL or TMI is more appropriate!

I'd say a good squirt with a water pistol was more appropriate for piddly cat.

• Haha 2

Made a bit of progress here and there over the last few days without taking any photos (until now). The floats were by far the worst fitting parts of the kit but fairly easy to deal with, although one of them has come off already. So I've now got on with painting - white and grey done, the bottom of the hull will be dark blue, and wingtips will be red. 

I also thought I'd better start on the R-1. This is a pretty simple little kit. I've got the fuselage together (went together quite nicely although the seam between the wing roots was tricky to deal with) and three of the four transparencies on (painted black on the inside -  really no point in anything else given there's no interior detail at all). This doesn't seem like it's going to take long.

Berievs

cheers

Julian

• Like 6

Got the blue hull and red wingtips done on the Be-200, and fixed up the aluminium engine intakes (not only had I carelessly removed half the paint on these, I wasn't happy with the colour - went with white aluminium instead and am now much happier with it). By the time many of you read this it should have some decals on - I'm a bit nervous about this as the decal sheet has the looks of an Amodel sheet so will be going slowly.

Not so much to report on the R-1 - I've attached the transparent nose piece, which doesn't fit all that well (too narrow at the rear - but fortunately the front, which would be harder to blend in cleanly, is ok) so it's slathered in filler to blend it in at the moment.

Here's the Be-200:

Be-200 WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 5

The decals turned out to be a lot better than I expected - got them all on in about an hour and a half. So now the Be-200 is up on its legs - here's how it looked shortly before I took it to the garage for a sealing coat:

Be-200 WIP

On to the R-1 - nose is blended in now, wings and tailplanes are on. A little filler needed on the wing roots, once that's cleaned up I should get some paint on it tomorrow.

Beriev R-1

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 5

They're both looking great, Julian, and good to learn that the decals behaved for you. Very nice !

The R-1's a bit of a looker......another for the Christmas wants list, I reckon. I'm starting to get a liking for resin kits.

Received new decal sheets from Amodel t'other day but haven't tried them out yet - they look suspiciously like the original sheet that came with the kit, so I'll try them out on a  mule first.

Fingers crossed !!

Rog

• Thanks 1

I have just been looking at the photos of your two completed models and they are superb. These are types which are completely new to me - and I had to take a second look to see that they are amphibians. The Be-200 is particularly eye-catching in that civilian scheme - such a nice change.

When you finish you will certainly have a great collection of Russian types there.

P

• Thanks 1