Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind

I'm going to have a go at the Anigrand 1/144 Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind. A fascinating aeroplane - conceived initially for maritime patrol, it was redesigned for transport and ended up with a brief service life as a tanker. From the sounds of things it could have been a very good aircraft, but was beset with engine problems, and it only lasted 2 years in service.

The Anigrand kit looks quite nice. This and the Beriev will be my first go at resin kits, and it looks like a good place to start. Here's what you get for the Tradewind - the box also contains 1/144 kits of the Beaver, Seasprite (both tiny!) and North American XA2J Super Savage.

Anigrand 1/144 Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind

Hopefully I'll make a start at the weekend

cheers

Julian

• Like 15

Yes I have the original Revell kit from waaaaaay back, and you are right it's a really eccentric scale.

I also have a Combat Models 1/72 vacform, the classic late night evilbay purchase, blooming enormous and likely to need rolling into Flying Boats & Floatplanes XXVI GB !

Good luck with the build, should turn into a cracker.

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Yes I have the original Revell kit from waaaaaay back, and you are right it's a really eccentric scale.

I also have a Combat Models 1/72 vacform, the classic late night evilbay purchase, blooming enormous and likely to need rolling into Flying Boats & Floatplanes XXVI GB !

Good luck with the build, should turn into a cracker.

cheers Pat

I’ve contemplated the Amodel 1/72 kit but it’s huge. I think 1/144 (or whatever scale the Revell kit is) is the right scale for this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajmm said:

Great choice! I built this kit (well the XP5Y1, but what’s a tradewind between friends) and it went together very well. Really looking forward to seeing your progress with this!

Thanks! I contemplated getting the XP5Y1 but went with this one - I’m happy enough with that decision, but regret it ever so slightly because one of the bonus kits in the other kit is the Sea Dart, which would go very well with the Tradewind and would also fit this group build.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With the Beriev in the paint shop it was time to get cracking on the Tradewind. Starting with the fuselage, I've put a few bolts in the nose section as I suspect it'll be a tail-sitter otherwise. I've glued together the front and rear sections using 5 minute epoxy - nose section is still clamped - once that's cured overnight I'll bring them together to complete the fuselage before I start cleaning up seams. Everything has been a pretty good fit so far and I've test-fitted the front and rear sections together - looks like they match up pretty well. Also started prepping the wings - one of them has a slight warp which I'll fix tomorrow. I suspect this is going to go together pretty quickly.

Tradewind WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 7

Great progress.

The only problem I recall was a slight lip on the nose section where it joined to the rest of the fuselage but that may just have been my casting. I made a mental note to give the rear part of the nose section a sand when I do my other tradewinds. 

• Thanks 1

Fuselage is together - no real dramas - since this photo was taken I've done a bit more cleaning up and it's currently in the garage with a coat of primer drying. Also straightened the warp in one wing and started assembly on the wings - no photo of that yet though.

Tradewind WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 9

After quite a lot of prime, fill, sand, repeat I'm pretty happy with all the fuselage seams, so on the the empennage and the wings. Fin and tailplanes went on easily enough - so far everything on this kit has been a pretty good fit - and I've filled the small gaps at the root of the fin. Wings are in two parts each - there's an insert in the underside of each one - and the nacelles are separate pieces which fit the wings very well. The wings have slots underneath for the refuelling pods, which I thought were just for the R3Y-2 kit but now I've found them in the box I might use them - shame I've filled the slots!

Here's how it looks tonight. @roginoz commented that it looks big, even in 1/144 - now that the big fin is on it looks even bigger, although the fuselage is roughly the same length as the Beriev A-40. The wings look surprisingly small for the size of the fuselage though.

Tradewind WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 10

Big milestone today - wings are on. Before that, there was some cleaning up of the joints around the empennage, and I attached the clear windscreen part - not a great fit, but got a fit that I was happy with without too much fettling. A bit of filling and sanding needed at the wing roots, but again not too much. Once that's done I can attach the floats and then it'll be time to start painting.

Tradewind WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 9

9 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Nice to hear compliments for a kit as delivered.  Looks most impressive, at any scale!

So, paint next you say .. a deep dark blue I presume?

Yes, blue all over (well, apart from the bits that aren’t blue!)

That’s the first colour image of the beaching gear that I’ve seen - I’d been wondering what colour it was. Red makes sense. There’s also a fair amount of detail (I have photos for this!) that’s not on the kit’s beaching year, including the handrails. Might need to invest in a soldering iron and some brass rod for that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, zebra said:

That’s the first colour image of the beaching gear that I’ve seen - I’d been wondering what colour it was. Red makes sense. There’s also a fair amount of detail (I have photos for this!) that’s not on the kit’s beaching year, including the handrails. Might need to invest in a soldering iron and some brass rod for that.

... although I would caution: these colour covers to Popular Mechanics are a little more ‘evocative’ than ‘authoritative’!

A case in point ...

48949878047_54d2d8b509_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Got the floats on and started painting today. It doesn't look very good in this photo - the colour really hasn't come out well at all - but it's looking pretty good in real life. I've used Mr Paint Sea Blue - as usual the MRP paint has gone on well. Going to have to tackle the beaching gear soon.

Tradewind WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 7