Kingfishers

Ok here we go.  

One fully detailed Kingfisher, maybe even two if I feel adventurous.

Cutting Edge Cockpit and the replacement floats as well as a resin cowl and aftermarket decals.

48663987476_662d423c0c_b.jpg

48663638953_7d311cfdcc_b.jpg

48663987466_831d3dbf6c_b.jpg

I need some help deciding which version I’d like to make.

I was going to go with the original kits decals but use the aftermarket US ones to replace most...or maybe get adventurous and go with the Aussie training bird.

Im just coming off finishing my FAA Hellcat Mk.I in the same scheme as the Aussie bird however there is another RAF version with a neat colour scheme.  Figuring I would save the Russian one for my second Kingfisher.

• Like 12

I wondered if we might see a Kingfisher.  There are some amazing examples built at 1/32.  With all that after-market yours should match at 1/48.  Many varied schemes too .. to add complexity to your decision- have you considered the showy pre-war yellow-wing US markings?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greggles.w said:

I wondered if we might see a Kingfisher.  There are some amazing examples built at 1/32.  With all that after-market yours should match at 1/48.  Many varied schemes too .. to add complexity to your decision- have you considered the showy pre-war yellow-wing US markings?

Honestly its not really my cup of tea to do pre-war.  Too shiny, lol.

Hi Beazer,

Welcome to the GB! Great choice of machine. Curious to know which scheme you'll end up choosing. I guess it will be a WWII scheme per your post above?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Wow, that's going to be a well detailed build. I am all for the Aussie 107th Sq, RAAF bird.

gotta love dark slate gray, dark sea gray and blue cammo! Will be watching this beauty.---John

• 3 weeks later...
48806499336_36e59e1cf1_b.jpg

I’m swaying towards the FAA type scheme as well.

Popped on the ANA Dark Dull Green. Not sure but I feel like making the kit version as well but I have to budget my time as group builds continue.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
48891984162_d5c80c3fd1_b.jpg

Did some detail painting since I’m waiting for another to dry.

I was able to snap up the corrected cowl by cutting edge as well so that should be here in a month when I’m ready to paint.

Also have another interior cockpit which I’ll end up using on the 2nd Kingfisher but ultimately I decided I won’t have the time to do two for the GB.

• Like 6

48915098768_9ed3979f97_b.jpg

Decided to do a little modelling at my away from home terminal.  I work on the railroad so that happens.

Cut out the original kits dials and aside from one flying off into the expanse it turned out ok.  Need to hit it with some more microsol and look in the stash for a replacement.  These were so difficult to do without tweezers and a big pair of scissors.

• Like 3

48944495243_6ea93557f7_b.jpg

Then this happened.  Reminder not to use a compressor for brad nailing when a model is placed precariously on the shelf.  Only spent most of a year on it.😤

Guess this is better.

48945160396_0c24660e4c_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

49044835982_308525c380_b.jpg

49044120608_a42e112981_b.jpg

49044120673_876c25a02c_b.jpg

Finally able to post an update.

Lots of work done.

Interior fitted, grinded, etc.

In place ready for final touches of paint and glue before sealing up the cockpit.  The amount of detail is amazing compared to the original kit.

Im unsure how the new cowling is supposed to be put in so need to do some research with that.

• Like 5

and when you think your past the easy part...

more grinding and cutting and warpage and test fitting and test fitting and test fitting.

wings are on the two seperate fuselages at the correct dihedral which was a whole other challenge.  

Going to be priming and sanding like a mad man i think... and i havent even started on the cowling or floats.

If this turns out well I will be amazed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beazer said:

dihedral which was a whole other challenge.  

Yes i built that a few years ago with all the Cutting edge goodies. I wound up adding a brass spar as well as brass pins for the main float. I remember sanding the living heck out of the interior to make it all fit.  Need to dig it out and photograph it maybe touch up the paints as well. I did it with rattle cans before i got my airbrushes. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle