112 squadron RAF, Airfix 1/48 P-40B with extras

G'day all.

We had our annual show last weekend and as it happens every year, the motivation and enthusiasm was renewed after catching up with mates and seeing some fantastic models on the competition table and club displays. So of course I went home and started a model.

I built the Airfix Defiant two years ago and had a great time building it so opted for the new(ish) 1/48 Airfix P-40B Tomahawak. I've picked up some extras over the last month so started on it last week. Yesterday was Father's Day here in Oz so I managed a few hours to myself amongst all of the carry on with my own kids, catch up with my dad and my wife's dad.

Considering it's the kit cockpit, I'm happy with how it turned out. The only thing I'm not sure on is the amount of time spent on the HGW seatbelts, I don't think I'll bother with them again. Everything else is just detail painting, washes and some pigments.  The instrument dials are kit decals with heaps of Microsol applied to get them to suck down onto the embossed dials. Followed by Tamiya X-22 for the instrument glass. The only thing missing are the gun breeches for the two nose mounted 50 cal guns.

The fuselage goes together tonight.

Cheers,

Mick

IMG20190827223002.jpg

IMG20190901103758.jpg

IMG20190901170034.jpg

IMG20190901170109.jpg

IMG20190901170149.jpg

IMG20190901170157.jpg

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

That's a lot of choc wedges you've eaten to get those sticks !  Looking forward o seeing this progress.  HGW belts are fiddle enough in 32 scale let alone 48. Well done Mick

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Not quite a heap of choc wedges, just a visit to the art store!

I was working on the belts late on Saturday. I put everything down and went and had a good nights sleep before returning to them yesterday afternoon.

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover

Disclaimer... TL;DR moment....It was assembly only on the P-40 tonight. The cockpit, wing roots and fuselage have all been joined. Test fitting of the wing while the fuselage glue dried revealed some fit issues. Either the distance between the wing root on the fuselage is too small or the corresponding distance on the wing is too short. Opting for the lesser of two evils I cut the spar that makes the wing rigid rather than chop material off the wing panels. It allows some flex for the wing to fit in the gap. The other work was on the prop and spinner. The kit would have you capture the prop and it's hub between the front and rear of the spinner. I hacked off the blades which I'll later pin back on. This allows me to install just the hub and the fore and aft spinner parts, in turn allowing me to clean up the fit and the paint it before reattaching the props.

That's it for now. 

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Just a quick update. and a few quick pics this morning after I took all the clamps and tape off and before heading off to work.

Spent an hour or two last night getting the airframe and flying surfaces on. The gun fairing panels are only tacked on at the nose the moment; hence why they sit a bit proud of the surface.

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to the P-40 now that the F-16 is done. Beginning with the panel lines, Gunze 336 Hemp on the middle stone and 50:50 of Gunze 310 and 72 (brown/dark earth) over the dark earth. The underside is 70:30 of Gunze 67 and 56 (RLM65 and int blue) followed by a distemper using ArtFX masks with 30:40:30 of Gunze 56/45/322 (light blue, int blue and pthalocyanine blue). This was then followed up with a light freehand coat of the base colour, Mr Color Azure blue. All mixes were thinned with Mr Color levelling thinner. Lots to go yet!

Cheers,
Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Time to start the grime.

A few hours last night with a thinned mix of Gunze Gloss Black/Tyre Black/Red Brown. I'm having a lot of fun weathering this thing and there's plenty to go.

Layer upon layer, upon layer, upon layer....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hello Mick - looking really good so far. Just a quick question - are you using the kit decals? If not - beware Xtradecal sheet 48163 - AK578 was not a Tomahawk but a Kittyhawk!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Hello Mick - looking really good so far. Just a quick question - are you using the kit decals? If not - beware Xtradecal sheet 48163 - AK578 was not a Tomahawk but a Kittyhawk!

Cheers

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm.

I'll be using the kit decals for this build so there's no confusion regarding the Xtradecal sheet.

I did find the post that Floyd Werner authored regarding the conflicting information  on the Xtradecal sheet regarding AK578 and whether or not it was a Tomahawk or a Kittyhawk.

I'm not au fait with the nomenclature of P-40 names etc. but are the different anmes because of Mks or versions? From my readings I though the names were based on the usage of the aircraft by either Commonwealth or Allied aircraft? 

Thanks for the heads up though.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover

Hello Mick

If you are using the kit decals then there is no problem.

Mentioned it because I fell foul of the Xtradecal sheet - I thought I would like to make a different model. Unfortunately, when I took a closer look I discovered that all was not well. Interestingly, the decal sheet instructions give an immediate clue when they mention that this particular "Tomahawk" had different exhausts and no arial mast. In the end I used the kit decals which were excellent.

For the record, the Tomahawk IIA was the name given to the P-40B which used the Allison V-1710-33 engine and was referred to my the manufacturer as the Model 81. The Kittyhawk was the model 87 and the earlier ones, such as AK578 were the P-40D. This type had a quite different and much larger engine, the V-1710-39 which required a larger radiator and was in fact almost an entirely new aircraft - and looked entirely different!

Cheers and happy modelling

Malcolm

17 hours ago, Baldy said:

Hello Mick

If you are using the kit decals then there is no problem.

Mentioned it because I fell foul of the Xtradecal sheet - I thought I would like to make a different model. Unfortunately, when I took a closer look I discovered that all was not well. Interestingly, the decal sheet instructions give an immediate clue when they mention that this particular "Tomahawk" had different exhausts and no arial mast. In the end I used the kit decals which were excellent.

For the record, the Tomahawk IIA was the name given to the P-40B which used the Allison V-1710-33 engine and was referred to my the manufacturer as the Model 81. The Kittyhawk was the model 87 and the earlier ones, such as AK578 were the P-40D. This type had a quite different and much larger engine, the V-1710-39 which required a larger radiator and was in fact almost an entirely new aircraft - and looked entirely different!

Cheers and happy modelling

Malcolm

Thanks for the schooling Malcolm! That's great information that I'll use it at the next trivia night!

Doing it in 48th scale certainly gives me some motivation to try it in 32nd. 

It's all decaled and and on it's feet.

I had a moment on Sunday arvo when trying to thread the aerial wire, got up and walked away to try again last night (Monday). This time with success, thanks for the chat BA. Also tried a different lighting set-up in the photo booth with much better results.

Another hour or two and it should be finished.

Cheers,
Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG20191111222302.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 1

Thanks Squibby. Glad you like it.

I'm not a fan of pre or post shading panel lines and then leaving it that. I see weathering as a layered approach as that's how it would accumulate on the real subject. It's just a technique that adds to the whole picture I'm trying to create.

Cheers and thanks for stopping by.

Mick