Potez 452

Good evening All, I am still working on the VC10 for The Year I Was Born GB but I am already hankering after 'the next project'.  I hope you don't mind if I join you with this model, which I think meets the criteria for the GB.

48661606751_a61b568f86_b.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Dave!

Welcome to the GB! Your choice certainly meets the GB criteria and is a very interesting type! Are you building the box art aircraft or one of the other options?

Looking forward to seeing it started.

Jaime

On 9/1/2019 at 11:04 PM, jrlx said:

Hi Dave!

Welcome to the GB! Your choice certainly meets the GB criteria and is a very interesting type! Are you building the box art aircraft or one of the other options?

Looking forward to seeing it started.

Jaime

Plan A is to build one of the other options, the one shown on the instruction sheet in the photo.  This is from the Battleship Lorraine in 1936.  It's the same scheme as the boxart, overall Gris Bleu Clair with black hull and float undersides.  Photos show the whole horizontal tailplane painted in the tricolour though, not just the elevators as per the instructions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This has whizzed down the posts as I have concentrated on the VC10, but some more work has been done and the VC10 is now finished.

The model is a forest of ejector pin towers, nothing new there for a short-run kit:

48739172276_2768ba9a46_b.jpg

The wings are together after the trailing edges were thinned a little on the inside of the trailing edges.  Nowhere near enough really, but hey. There's a little detail added in the cockpit too as it would otherwise be bare, but I doubt much will be seen with the fuselage closed up so I haven't gone overboard:

48738843298_140c0eb936_b.jpg

The starboard cockpit has just frames added, and instead of adding the additional fuel tank in the rear fuselage I just added a shelf behind the observer's station:

48738843453_3483c831a1_b.jpg

The port cockpit has the throttle and the document case for the observer.  The thick frames are the base for the cockpit floor, added as the moulded location points are almost non existent and all but useless.

48739172356_2237c17eef_z.jpg

• Like 5

Good evening All, a little bit more done on the Potez.  Should the cockpit be chamois or 'night'?  I have seen it modelled as both, but in the end I went for the very dark blue 'night'.  If it's wrong I can live with it so it is what it is, simple as that really.  The seats have been used out of the box and belts made from wine bottle foil with thin card punched to make the quick release unit.  I haven't got the skills to make the tiny buckles in 72nd so I have just done them the way they are.  The floor should probably have been left in plain wood, but I just did it in the blue and put scuffs where the crews' feet would have worn it.  The control column is scratch as the kit's was way too thick.  The pedals have had foot loops added, but I'm not convinced I should have added those; hey ho.  The right pedal is very slightly forward for the intended deflection of the rudder which will be added later in the build.  The instrument panel as supplied is not correct so I have scratched a more accurate (but not perfect) representation of the actual panel.

48776972372_d61ddb6775_c.jpg

48776972437_612dcf124c_c.jpg

I closed the fuselage up and while I was waiting for the glue to dry a did a couple of tidying up bits.  Following Mike Grant's example from his wonderful series on improving older kits I thinned the rear of the engine cowling.  The original as supplied is on the right and after a little gentle filing scraping my basic thinned result is on the left.  The front of the cowling has also had a little attention from the dremel to remove the thick lip around its edge; the original on the left this time.  I'll have to play with the engine location as it butted up against this lip as moulded.  The moulding around this lip was messy with a huge ejector pin tower up against it anyway, so adjustment would have been required anyway.

48777219232_90ed3b78fe.jpg48776676923_854e2592c7.jpg

The engine is moulded on a 'backplate' which will butt fit against the wing fairing with the cowling around it, but this will spoil the 'see through' with the cowling fitted.  To try and improve this I have trimmed the backpate away between the cylinders.  As I noted before I'll find a way to mount the cowling.  I think I have a plan...

48777066606_7e9e83d790_z.jpg48777256167_a53e5b8430_z.jpg

The fuselage is all closed up and I now start on the task of putting off trying to fit it all together with that crazy, typical French struttery.

• Like 8

Gosh that is an unusual looking aircraft - even for a flying boat! The interior details look fine and if anyone disagrees with your interpretation, ask them to prove you wrong!

With reference to the struts, I make simple card jigs for my biplane flying boats and sometimes other biplanes too. Are there any key struts which could be put into place and hold the upper wing while you carefully insert the remainder when the dirst ones are dry and firm? I suspect that there are: A few at a time always works well for me.

P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Good evening all.  I have been distracted recently by the arrival of my 1972 Land Rover 88" Series III from nearly three years storage.  A battery charge later and he was up and running!

The struttery truly terrified me and I have been putting it off and finding excuses to do so, and this afternoon' attempt at restarting the build has shown me why.  I'll get some in-progress photos posted as I do more; at the moment it sitting upside down on the bench as the glue dries on the fuselage to wing struts.  More to follow...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

OK, let's be honest: FAIL.  This model almost put me off modelling altogether.  It has sat looking reprovingly at me every time I have stepped in to the craft room, but I just stopped enjoying it,  Guilt made me shy away from starting something else, but I have admitted defeat and consigned it to a a box in the loft today; so I can start something else without feeling too bad as it's memory fades.  My sincerest apologies and thanks to the hosts, my congratulations to those who have completed and good luck to those striving to make the deadline.

Happy modelling.

• Sad 2

Hi Dave,

Sorry to know about your difficulties with the kit. Putting it away for a while and starting a new project should be advisable. Just don't give up on modelling, there are many good models that can be built OOB.

Cheers

Jaime