As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

I'll be doing my stint on the front desk - Saturday and Sunday. I did it in 2017 and quite enjoyed it.

I wasn't able to attend Telford last years because of my wife's illness so am looking forward to this year's event.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, Wez said:

I'm still undecided about Telford this year

Did you decide, Wez?

I thought this was for fun, wow

My stint this year seems to be kit swap, not a choice I would have chosen but into the breach has to be the motto

I'll be pleased to see you on the Saturday Keith, but I have accepted I am no longer a competition class modeller so it won't be upstairs.  :)

See you at the meeting?

Just now, perdu said:

See you at the meeting?

Hope so Bill, memory allowing! Not judging this year so won't be a conflict with timing! 

K

Operation this week to give me time to recuperate before the show

👍

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Operation this week to give me time to recuperate before the show

👍

Hope it all goes well Bill, get better very soon!

K

Rely on it Keith, I am going to be fine by then

Mind's made up

Bill - enjoy yourself at the Kit Swap. That's one task I wouldn't really want to do.

For many years IPMS Farnborough were the main providers of bodies for the stacking of the tables at the end of the show. It was a mammoth task and left us all shattered at the end of Sunday evening. Two years ago we decided that we were all getting a bit too old for all that humping :) So now IPMS use a professional team to sort the tables out.

Edited by Eric Mc

Yes I know Eric, thanks to you guys for all you did

My branch are getting invites to do this at Cosford, but I won't be able to myself

Luckily too unhealthy, I have an op on Thursday which will preclude anything heavy duty for quite a while

It will be good to track down the elusive Eric this year

They seek him here - they seek him there, that damned elusive IPMS Farnborough chairman.

Apart from working at the Kit Swap - will you be hanging about any particular club stand or SIG?

Edited by Eric Mc

So I thought I may as well pay the small additional price to join IPMS rather than pay for entry so...the kitswap...? I’m getting visions of those YouTube clips of fights in the queues at Asda when they have 56” plasma TVs for three and six on Black Friday....

13 minutes ago, wombat said:

So I thought I may as well pay the small additional price to join IPMS rather than pay for entry so...the kitswap...? I’m getting visions of those YouTube clips of fights in the queues at Asda when they have 56” plasma TVs for three and six on Black Friday....

No, that’s the crowd around the Airfix stand at 10:58 on Saturday. 😂

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

For many years IPMS Farnborough were the main providers of bodies for the stacking of the tables at the end of the show. It was a mammoth task and left us all shattered at the end of Sunday evening.

That was my fault - Farnborough first got involved in that in the mid-80s, when I volunteered to sleep Fri and Sat nights in the venue (Stoneleigh, back then) to provide security, after a couple of traders had stuff disappear overnight...

....initially it was me and a couple of the Birmingham lads in a side room - but it was soon as many as a dozen of us Farnborough bods, complete with camping stoves and a plentiful supply of beers...

....and overnight security evolved into setting up, and tearing down, and providing the bulk of the stewarding over the entire weekend - and somehow, I ended up as 'Head Steward' (and got a special presentation tankard in 1990)...

....1991 (the sole event at Peterborough) was my last year in the role - but Farnborough carried on providing the event's 'muscle' long afterwards...

50 minutes ago, wombat said:

I hope you have already joined IPMS, because you will need to be paid up by the end of this month, as memberships will then be suspended until the Saturday opening of Telford. Memberships paid on that day will be valid for free admission in 2020 not 2019!

A little off topic, but in the eighties I had some involvement with running the IPMS Nationals at Stoneleigh as Acting Treasurer (or was it Secretary?) as well as a few years doing duty on the desks and setup and breakdown. I can remember how cold it could be and accommodation was somewhat spartan and the post dinner met in the bar. Telford is a whole new world. 

Because it has an appropriately sized conference centre that isn't too expensive, and is reasonably convenient to get to from most parts of the UK (if slightly off to one side) being on both the motorway and  the railway networks.  Try finding something else the right size, more central, more convenient and not more expensive - they did and couldn't.

If you really know somewhere better, do let us all know.  

7 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

They seek him here - they seek him there, that damned elusive IPMS Farnborough chairman.

Apart from working at the Kit Swap - will you be hanging about any particular club stand or SIG?

Usually to be found at home on the Birmingham table Eric, and wandering like a lost nomad around the traders

I'll get to see you this year, no doubt

I'll be wearing my IPMS Farnborough red shirt - so should be obvious. It's just that the venue is so big and so busy, it's easy not to see individual people amongst the crowd

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I'll be wearing my IPMS Farnborough red shirt - so should be obvious. It's just that the venue is so big and so busy, it's easy not to see individual people amongst the crowd

Along with the 20 or more other handsome devils in red IPMS Farnborough shirts...

18 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Because it has an appropriately sized conference centre that isn't too expensive, and is reasonably convenient to get to from most parts of the UK (if slightly off to one side) being on both the motorway and  the railway networks.  Try finding something else the right size, more central, more convenient and not more expensive - they did and couldn't.

If you really know somewhere better, do let us all know.  

No complaint from me, it’s pretty handy for me as it happens. I was guessing the logic ran “NEC seems perfect....wait, how much?!?!...ah what’s this small town a bit to the left?”

One of the other attractions of Telford is that, as far as I can understand it, the International Centre have pretty good on keeping prices at a reasonable level. It also has had the advantage of being flexible about space and has been able to accommodate  the expansion of SMW, so that it now takes up virtually all of the available exhibition space. I feel SMW is as big as it can get without a serious outlay of cash that the IPMS does not have and I doubt they would not be able to get enough sponsorship. A lot of people do not understand how expensive it is to hire a venue of any size bigger than a village hall  unless they have done it. Insurance and security costs have rocketed over the last few years, both as a result of fears over terrorist activity,  stricter regulations and the rise of personal injury litigation. Admittedly, neither TIC or the  IPMS get it right all the time, but they do try and not many 'enthusiast' societies organise events of the  size of ScaleModelWorld.

Edited by Mr T

Wombat:  Living in Lancashire as I do, Telford suits me fine.  I vaguely recall some modellers from south of the Thames complaining about the distance, only to be outnumbered by the Northeners and Scots (and presumably the Welsh)!  I wasn't involved in any way, just being A N. Other IPMS member, but know that there were considerable discussions and several sites considered.  Yes, I recall the NEC being described as too expensive, and also too big (although I dare say that aspect could be got around somehow if we grow any larger).  Bearing in mind that it is for UK modellers, not just English ones, then any "central" location would need to be no further south than the Midlands despite the concentration of population in the South East of England.  Manchester would seem to be a possibility, but that might be just too far North for many.  I do feel, again without having been involved in any way, that Telford seems to have been a near-ideal choice.

Mr.T:  The model railway world does use the NEC, but they are somewhat more numerous than IPMS UK + visitors.  I go to the N Gauge gathering in Warwickshire, but that's only perhaps a third of the size of SMW.

Hi Wombat, the big Warley show uses the NEC doesn't it? I have never been, but would like to and I think they get some serious sponsorship and as you say have larger base. I come to Telford from the Leeds area and it used to be doable in a day, but we now turn it into a weekend staying in Shrewsbury and Mrs T does some shopping. Still much better than going down south and we break the drive over at the National Memorial Arboretum.