As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

On 18/10/2019 at 12:57, Rob G said:

Question about traders - is it usual for them to have product at a special price at The Show

Not so much special prices, but if you're there on the Sunday, toward the end of the day you can often 'negotiate' a good discount with some traders who may not want to take all their stock back with them. I'm useless at haggling but have had some good deals in the past in the last hour of the show!

Keith

On 23/10/2019 at 20:02, Mr T said:

Last year I was in the queue about half eight and in the hall by about five past as they went down the line checking cards and giving out bands and so reduced the bottleneck at the entrance. 

+ 1

I must have been about 5 minutes in front of you in the queue last year Mr T.  I too was pleasantly surprised by the IPMS staff walking down the line giving out wristbands to members. Worked well and saved time. 

SD

8 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

IPMS staff

Being pedantic, there are no IPMS 'staff', everyone is a volunteer, including the organisers who put in an incredible amount of time and effort in putting the show on every year. And all the other peeps manning the pay desks, giving out wristbands and all the other myriad jobs needed to keep the show running are ordinary members giving up an hour or two of their time to help out.... (or most of their weekend in jobs like the Kit Swap!!) 

Keith

On 10/23/2019 at 8:02 PM, Mr T said:

You were lucky as non members had to wait 10 even with advance tickets. One of the reasons the IPMS queue is do long is that branch members who did not have the set up bands tend to show up early to get to their stands. There is of course the fact that a lot of members want to take advantage of the extra time. Last year I was in the queue about half eight and in the hall by about five past as they went down the line checking cards and giving out bands and so reduced the bottleneck at the entrance. Quite social in the queue as had a good chat to people around me and had a flask of coffee. Being 65 and British not bothered by a bit of queuing (interestingly this year I noticed the French have got the idea of queuing as well). 

This was our experience as members last year too, hopefully the same this year (with the good weather!!!).

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Being pedantic, there are no IPMS 'staff', everyone is a volunteer, including the organisers who put in an incredible amount of time and effort in putting the show on every year. And all the other peeps manning the pay desks, giving out wristbands and all the other myriad jobs needed to keep the show running are ordinary members giving up an hour or two of their time to help out.... (or most of their weekend in jobs like the Kit Swap!!) 

Keith

You might want to re-read this post of yours.  I think you'll find that I was commending the actions of the people involved. The word 'staff' was a simple turn of phrase.

SD  (IPMS member for some years) 

Edited by SafetyDad

SD, staff intimates that they are paid, whereas volunteers might have been a better turn of phrase :winkgrin:

6 minutes ago, Ratch said:

SD, staff intimates that they are paid, whereas volunteers might have been a better turn of phrase :winkgrin:

Thanks Ratch. :like:    I quite understand that the word 'staff' might be construed as  their being 'paid' (although not necessarily). I just didn't think that the tone of the reaction was justified. Especially as I was pleased at the actions of the persons walking along the queue and said so in my original post. 

A gentle amendment (such as yours above) would have been more appropriate. As an IPMS member, I know very well how this all works. :wink:

SD

2 hours ago, Ratch said:

This, exactly!

Keith

2 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

A gentle amendment (such as yours above) would have been more appropriate.

I hardly think anything in my post was harsh! I was hoping that those reading it who aren't IPMS members might realise just how much effort is taken in running the show and might even be tempted to join themselves and lend a hand....!! (and get all the benefits that go with it too :))

Keith

Keith

If you can't see your overreaction to an innocent choice of words that meant (and caused) no offence, then that's up to you.

But you might want to think how this comes across...

SD

Edited by SafetyDad

1 minute ago, SafetyDad said:

Honestly, I have given some thought in the past to volunteering at the Nationals for an hour or so. Not now

Well, that says it all - if we all thought like that you can say goodbye to the show.

Nowhere in my post did I contradict the fact the you were commending the act of IPMS volunteer members in handing out wristbands to save time. All I wished to point out was, as Ratch said above, your post intimated that they were IPMS staff who would therefore be paid to do so and might thus confuse non members who were unaware of the fact.

But, if you're really that easily offended by my posts, I'll say no more, other than see you at Telford, possibly in the hour or two I'll be doing my volunteering stint....

Keith

49 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well, that says it all - if we all thought like that you can say goodbye to the show.

Nowhere in my post did I contradict the fact the you were commending the act of IPMS volunteer members in handing out wristbands to save time. All I wished to point out was, as Ratch said above, your post intimated that they were IPMS staff who would therefore be paid to do so and might thus confuse non members who were unaware of the fact.

But, if you're really that easily offended by my posts, I'll say no more, other than see you at Telford, possibly in the hour or two I'll be doing my volunteering stint....

Keith

Say what you like, that's the truth. If non IPMS members are reading this, I can't imagine that they will be inspired to join and volunteer. More likely be put off. 

You're having a rant over an innocent choice of words that meant no offence. 

SD

Edited by SafetyDad

1 minute ago, SafetyDad said:

You're having a rant over an innocent choice of words that meant no offence. 

Who's ranting?! What on earth in my  original post is anything like a rant? Really? Anything?

"rant

verb

speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way."

I very rarely shout and am certainly not typing in an angry or impassioned way, and as this nonsense has gone on long enough I will, in my usual calm and unimpassioned manner, wish you a good day and enjoy your trip to Telford. :)

Keith

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I will, in my usual calm and unimpassioned manner, wish you a good day and enjoy your trip to Telford. :)

Keith

Thank you. And the same to you  :wink:

SD

I have always done my hour of volunteer work and this year will be no different. I think its the least that any IPMS member can do to perpetuate the biggest show of the year.

23 hours ago, R159 said:

.....................hopefully the same this year (with the good weather!!!).

Telford? November?? :rofl2: To be fair, I can remember (just!) a couple of dry(ish) Saturday's down there, not all day, mind!

Nice to have it confirmed @Mr T that one of the suggestions put forward regarding the shortening of the queue was taken to heart.

Paul

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

I have always done my hour of volunteer work and this year will be no different. I think its the least that any IPMS member can do to perpetuate the biggest show of the year.

The N.I. branch are almost exempt this year as there are only two of us attending.

I was amused by the term used on the IPMS notification we got; we are on QRA !

Blimey! Place must have gone downhill since last year then!

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

used on the IPMS notification we got; we are on QRA !

Ah - that was us last year, luckily we never got scrambled! Cash desks for us again this year I expect!

Keith