Telford 2019

If I can add to the various excellent suggestions, as far as traders are concerned, I always have  a good few minutes havig a look at the Zoukei Mura stand, the Revell trade stand is worth a look too.

Of course, WingNut Wngs will be a must see, but other trade stands are generally going to cost you money.

In terms of club stands, I would suggest the North Devon club stand, they usually make a hell of an effort to produce a themed stand that is witty, full of models, and the guys are having a lot of (jollop assisted perhaps! ) fun!

The overseas tables in hall 3 are also a must for me, some of the models the guys have brought hundreds of miles or more to display are absolutely breath taking, and most of the people on the club tables speak far better English than I

speak their own languages!

A couple of other club tables to look out for are the SCi Fi and tv tables, often with some very witty models of sci fi subjects - and I think if you went along to West Middlesex's tables, you might raise a smile - if they bring it - at one of the wittiest models on display!

There's a photo of it on page 23 of the October issue of Model Airplane International.

There will be such a lot to see, you will - as I have done many times - miss some great club tables, but the ones you will see will bring a smile to your face and also make you appreciate just how much skill there is among the modelling fraternity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Mark @Sparkie if you feel a little lost, find yer way over to Hall 3, there, you can at least have a sit down!

Sorry, I should have said it, rather than thought it! 'at our tables'.

Paul

Be careful Mark, He'll have sold you a Whippet and a flat cap before you get sat down. Bit like Auntie Wainwright's shop, is their table. :whistle:

• Haha 2

'scuse me, where is it you hail from Frank? :whistle:

Anyway, wrong County, whippets and cloth caps are our friends in Lancashire. Up here, men are men....and the sheep be worried!

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Whofan said:

If I can add to the various excellent suggestions, as far as traders are concerned, I always have  a good few minutes havig a look at the Zoukei Mura stand, the Revell trade stand is worth a look too.

Of course, WingNut Wngs will be a must see, but other trade stands are generally going to cost you money.

In terms of club stands, I would suggest the North Devon club stand, they usually make a hell of an effort to produce a themed stand that is witty, full of models, and the guys are having a lot of (jollop assisted perhaps! ) fun!

The overseas tables in hall 3 are also a must for me, some of the models the guys have brought hundreds of miles or more to display are absolutely breath taking, and most of the people on the club tables speak far better English than I

speak their own languages!

A couple of other club tables to look out for are the SCi Fi and tv tables, often with some very witty models of sci fi subjects - and I think if you went along to West Middlesex's tables, you might raise a smile - if they bring it - at one of the wittiest models on display!

There's a photo of it on page 23 of the October issue of Model Airplane International.

There will be such a lot to see, you will - as I have done many times - miss some great club tables, but the ones you will see will bring a smile to your face and also make you appreciate just how much skill there is among the modelling fraternity.

Thanks @Whofan , some more to add to the list, I can see why the floor plans are needed now!!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sparkie said:

Thanks @Whofan , some more to add to the list, I can see why the floor plans are needed now!!

You're welcome. They are invaluable.

Question about traders - is it usual for them to have product at a special price at The Show (note the capitalisation). If so, I may leave an upcoming purchase until I get there. (It's nuts, I'll spend $1500 on airfares to save $35 on postage. :D )

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Question about traders - is it usual for them to have product at a special price at The Show (note the capitalisation). If so, I may leave an upcoming purchase until I get there. (It's nuts, I'll spend $1500 on airfares to save $35 on postage. :D )

In my experience, only some traders have special prices on a few items, some traders have no special prices at all and a very few have all their stock at special show prices. 

Note that the 'special' show price may not be lower than the regular price! With certain dealers I've seen their SMW prices higher than through their on-line shop

Take a written note of the items you are interested in along with a guide price for each and refer to it often

• Thanks 1

I have never been aware of any traders at Telford ever having any 'special prices'. Hannants will give you 10% off if you pre-order an item and collect it at the show but that is all I have ever been aware of.

As Black Knight suggests above keep a written note of the items you are interested in and be prepared to be patient because from opening time on the Saturday till about 3.00pm or thereabouts most traders areas are like a bear pit.

• Thanks 1

. . . . . if you see anything you want or interested in buying and its at the price you want, buy it when you see it. It will NOT be there later.

A few years ago a dealer at the end of the rows of the tables my club was at had a certain RAF bomber kit. Club chum told me. I went down, had a look, went back to my club table to get some money, back up to the dealer and he'd sold all 28 kits - in the time of of approx 5 to 6 minutes!

Last year Collectakit had two Airfix VC10 airliner kits. £30 each. I had a look at them put them back on the shelf. Turned away to look at something else, then turned back for one of the VC10s and they were both gone!

Edited by Black Knight
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

. . . . . if you see anything you want or interested in buying and its at the price you want, buy it when you see it. It will NOT be there later.

A few years ago a dealer at the end of the rows of the tables my club was at had a certain RAF bomber kit. Club chum told me. I went down, had a look, went back to my club table to get some money, back up to the dealer and he'd sold all 28 kits - in the time of of approx 5 to 6 minutes!

Last year Collectakit had two Airfix VC10 airliner kits. £30 each. I had a look at them put them back on the shelf. Turned away to look at something else, then turned back for one of the VC10s and they were both gone!

It's not unknown for us to put kits under the front table while people sort out finance, like go to the cash machine etc.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:45 PM, Black Knight said:

My 1st time at Telford that was the advice I was given, by club members,  kits can just disappear and especially if its not a newer kit.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if you can get your wristband on Friday so you do not have to queue up on Saturday ?

Regards

Robert

25 minutes ago, Robert said:

Does anyone know if you can get your wristband on Friday so you do not have to queue up on Saturday ?

You can get a wristband from 15.00 on Friday only if you are logged as a setter-upper for a branch or SIG

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I've noticed that you can buy tickets online - does that save the need to queue or just mean you don't need cash on the day?

If you are not an IPMS member  even with a pre paid ticket you will not be allowed in until 10am. What should happen though is there will be an entry point for pre paid that should have a much shorter queue.

If you are an IPMS member only those  who were designated by their Branch or SIG as part of the set up organisation will be allowed in before  9am  as the TIC insurance will cover them. All other member will have to queue.

It is the same in the evening, once the show has officially closed  you must exit asap for insurance purposes.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, CedB said:

I've noticed that you can buy tickets online - does that save the need to queue or just mean you don't need cash on the day?

The queue for non IPMS members was very short when I arrived last year and the members queue stretched out the gate of the car park. Walking to the non members queue felt like running the gauntlet, with several snide remarks from IPMS members who thought I was jumping their queue.* One particularly sad individual even tried to block my path to stop me going any further. It didn't make for a very fun start to the day. 

* For anyone who isn't familiar with British culture, queue jumping is generally considered worthy of the death penalty.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

You can get a wristband from 15.00 on Friday only if you are logged as a setter-upper for a branch or SIG

Previous years you was able to pick up your wristband on the Friday, so it must have changed then.

Regards

Robert

When I showed up last year the IPMS members were snaked all the way out the building and half way across the car park. I too walked in to the Non IPMS line which at that time was very quiet. Never had anyone blocking my path though. The IPMS members line took a full half hour to go through the gates when they opened it for them at 9.00am.

I have never bought an advanced ticket for Telford. I have always just got there early and paid at the cash desk. I have also never been aware of any entry point for those that have pre-paid. The IPMS get in at 9.00am the rest of have to wait till 10.00am. It's as simple as that.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Gordon J said:

When I showed up last year the IPMS members were snaked all the way out the building and half way across the car park. I too walked in to the Non IPMS line which at that time was very quiet. Never had anyone blocking my path though. The IPMS members line took a full half hour to go through the gates when they opened it for them at 9.00am.

I have never bought an advanced ticket for Telford. I have always just got there early and paid at the cash desk. I have also never been aware of any entry point for those that have pre-paid. The IPMS get in at 9.00am the rest of have to wait till 10.00am. It's as simple as that.

Last year, I bought an advance ticket for the Saturday and joined the members queue.

I went in early with members because advance ticket holders can.

there's obviously some confusion among members over advance tickets but I am pretty sure that I saw something on the advance ticket site or in the IPMS SMW pages that states advance ticket holders can get in at 9.00am.

this year I am a member. 

Edited by Whofan
spelling.

You were lucky as non members had to wait 10 even with advance tickets. One of the reasons the IPMS queue is do long is that branch members who did not have the set up bands tend to show up early to get to their stands. There is of course the fact that a lot of members want to take advantage of the extra time. Last year I was in the queue about half eight and in the hall by about five past as they went down the line checking cards and giving out bands and so reduced the bottleneck at the entrance. Quite social in the queue as had a good chat to people around me and had a flask of coffee. Being 65 and British not bothered by a bit of queuing (interestingly this year I noticed the French have got the idea of queuing as well). 

Edited by Mr T
43 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I was in the queue about half eight and in the hall by about five past as they went down the line checking cards and giving out bands and so reduced the bottleneck at the entrance. 

If this can happen each year It's a good thing.

I believe they also went along the non members queue taking payments before 10 am in order to speed things up.

Edited by Whofan
8 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

If you are not an IPMS member  even with a pre paid ticket you will not be allowed in until 10am.

Does this mean members of IPMS-UK or any IPMS affiliate; IPMS-USA for example?

15 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

Does this mean members of IPMS-UK or any IPMS affiliate; IPMS-USA for example?

ALL IPMS members are allowed access from 09:00, with a duly checked, in date, membership card. Obviously, dependant on the length of the queue.

• Thanks 1