Telford 2019

Great to have the floor plans up and like Perdu said it is 'time to plan progress round the event.'

That said I have still had moments at Telford where I have seen a model and not bought it, then later in the day decided to go back and get it only to have that 'what hall was that guy that had that kit that I saw earlier in' moment.

And then being singulalrly unable to find the trader or kit despite having a floor plan in my hand, a compass, a map, a torch, some rope, two sherpas and a donkey in tow!! 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just been reading back through this thread, and hadn’t noticed Jamie’s reference to stolen stock before. I guess I’d kinda hoped modellers were better than that, though I don’t know why we’d be any different to the general public.. 🤨

anyway...I see it only costs slightly more to join IPMS and get free entry than it does to buy a ticket. Is it worth doing?

Reasons to join IPMS if going to Telford!!

a)   You do get in an hour before Joe Public on both mornings - more time to spend cash or even look at the models!!

b)   The IPMS member's access is quicker than the Public access - just need to show your membership card not wait while the guy in front searches his pockets for that elusive pound coin.

c)    You can visit the Kit Swop in the morning - public access is not until 1300 on the Saturday - IPMS members will have had access from 0930(ish) so bargains are rarer in the afternoon!

d)    Then you have the other longer term advantages - 6 copies of the Magazine and the chance to join your local Branch and any SIGs that share your interests.

If you do decide to join you will need to do so pretty pronto - the deadline for joining so your membership card will arrive at your home in time to access the show this year is the end of October!!

If you join on the day of the show your card will give you access to the 2020 show NOT this years!!

• Like 5
On 10/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, Gordon J said:

Great to have the floor plans up and like Perdu said it is 'time to plan progress round the event.'

That said I have still had moments at Telford where I have seen a model and not bought it, then later in the day decided to go back and get it only to have that 'what hall was that guy that had that kit that I saw earlier in' moment.

And then being singulalrly unable to find the trader or kit despite having a floor plan in my hand, a compass, a map, a torch, some rope, two sherpas and a donkey in tow!! 😕

I think it's quite cruel to fit a pack-animal with anti-tank guided-missiles ("donkey in tow" - geddit!??). This posting was made with tongue-very-firmly-in-cheek... 

Chris. 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, wombat said:

Just been reading back through this thread, and hadn’t noticed Jamie’s reference to stolen stock before. I guess I’d kinda hoped modellers were better than that, though I don’t know why we’d be any different to the general public.. 🤨

anyway...I see it only costs slightly more to join IPMS and get free entry than it does to buy a ticket. Is it worth doing?

Another reason for membership is that some retailers offer discount to members, my 'local' shop offers 10%. If you are near a branch there is also a chance to talk to fellow Modellers. I have just received my new card in time for Telford, my 42nd card. 

• Like 1
On 10/11/2019 at 4:15 PM, perdu said:

Good to have the plans (At last! Does anyone else fret until they know where to go at Telford)

Time to plan progress around the event, yippee

(Brum IPMS is in Hall 3 near the entrance [3C] )

Saw that. We are Hall 2 Block 2d (Dorset IPMS) right opposite the Fleet Air Arm and US Navy stands. Not too far from you guys Bill.

Cant work out where you are Stuart @Courageous?

Terry

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Cant work out where you are Stuart

Hall 2 Block 2E (West Suffolk), next to Ipswich. I'll be able to throw things at the back of your head :rofl:.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Courageous said:

I'll be able to throw things at the back of your head 

Hmm, very un-nerving having my back to you for two days!

There you go @perdu, there are some strong lay lines around Block 2E and 2D in Hall 2, and given the Fleet Air Arm mob on Block 2C, the gravitational pull in that vicinity could be impressive. Dare we let @Ex-FAAWAFU in on the plan?

Terry

• Haha 1

I notice as well as the floor plans the alphabetical list of who is where has gone up. I find it quite useful to look through and see where people are on the plans. I do not do this in the presence of my 23yr old daughter as she will make a comment about the 'sad dad convention'. Mind you with some folk I have come across in forty odd years of model shows she sometimes has a point 

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I notice as well as the floor plans the alphabetical list of who is where has gone up. I find it quite useful to look through and see where people are on the plans. I do not do this in the presence of my 23yr old daughter as she will make a comment about the 'sad dad convention'. Mind you with some folk I have come across in forty odd years of model shows she sometimes has a point. It is, after all, a hobby (to cries of 'burn the heretic'). 

I have some how managed to quote myself instead of editing a post. Must be my age. 

Edited by Mr T
Idiocy
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, Mr T said:

I notice as well as the floor plans the alphabetical list of who is where has gone up. I find it quite useful to look through and see where people are on the plans. I do not do this in the presence of my 23yr old daughter as she will make a comment about the 'sad dad convention'. Mind you with some folk I have come across in forty odd years of model shows she sometimes has a point 

One of my favourite photos of Mrs P is her sitting at a table with a group of forlorn-looking wives at the I{PMS Butch O'Hare show a few years ago. Anyway, if I'm a sad dad, it's my children who've made me so. I quite enjoyed life before they came along.

• Haha 8
On 14/10/2019 at 20:39, Mr T said:

'Malodorous, malcontent and maladjusted' is one description I've read of the attendees at UK Model Shows. Sadly, like many light-hearted (not to mention alliterative) comments, there may be more than just a grain of truth in that label :wink: .

Of course I don't mean me.

Or any BMers who may be going to Telford this year...

:happy:

SD

• Haha 6
6 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

'Malodorous, malcontent and maladjusted' is one description I've read of the attendees at UK Model Shows. Sadly, like many light-hearted (not to mention alliterative) comments, there may be more than just a grain of truth in that label :wink: .

Of course I don't mean me.

Or any BMers who may be going to Telford this year...

:happy:

SD

Ron Freitag ( ex Airfix ) said it all when speaking at the IPMS annual dinner welcoming us to another" nutters convention" nuff said methinks,

Anyway a happy happy show to you all.

The Angels are in Hall 1 Block E, NO choccywockydooda this year though.

• Haha 2
On 10/12/2019 at 12:21 PM, Rob G said:

Lucky me, I won't be buying anything. Much too expensive to freight home.

Even by ship ?

Regards

Robert

I wonder if Hornby CEO has ever visited Telford to see the public reaction to Airfix. It would be good publicity if he announced the new kit.

Regards

Robert

Newbie question for Telford, apart from wandering around admiring the great handiwork, and spending more money than household senior management would be happy with, what should I put on my not to miss list?

First Telford @Sparkie ?

1. Strong comfortable shoes. Steel / composite toecaps are your choice :whistle:

2. NO back pack or anything that may 'dangle'.....over the models! :rant:

3. Find Greggs in the shopping centre, you can feed the family for far less than yourself in the cafe in the TIC. Other retail outlets are available. :eat:

4. If your an IPMS member, I would suggest give the kitswop a miss, not worth the hastle. Obviously others think different. :mg:

5. If you want to have a look see at the competition, late Saturday or mid morning Sunday.

Worth remembering some of the entries are from members not resident in the UK and have flights to catch. :pilot:

6. The WnW tables......Oh, and North Riding, as we're next door! :yahoo:

7. Models for Hero's on the left, in the foyer, if your not part of a set up crew, if everybody made a donation, they would need a 38' - 42' rig to move 'em! :cheers:

Everything to a VERY good cause.

Next year, more of the same!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

First Telford @Sparkie ?

1. Strong comfortable shoes. Steel / composite toecaps are your choice :whistle:

2. NO back pack or anything that may 'dangle'.....over the models! :rant:

3. Find Greggs in the shopping centre, you can feed the family for far less than yourself in the cafe in the TIC. Other retail outlets are available. :eat:

4. If your an IPMS member, I would suggest give the kitswop a miss, not worth the hastle. Obviously others think different. :mg:

5. If you want to have a look see at the competition, late Saturday or mid morning Sunday.

Worth remembering some of the entries are from members not resident in the UK and have flights to catch. :pilot:

6. The WnW tables......Oh, and North Riding, as we're next door! :yahoo:

7. Models for Hero's on the left, in the foyer, if your not part of a set up crew, if everybody made a donation, they would need a 38' - 42' rig to move 'em! :cheers:

Everything to a VERY good cause.

Next year, more of the same!

Paul

Cheers Paul

Yeah first Telford, getting back in the swing of things after the usual life hiatus

I signed up to IPMS as I may pop down again on the Sunday if I don't get around as much as I wanted to, as its not THAT far a drive for me and for the sake of a tenner was worth the punt I thought

If you see a tall ginger bloke looking lost, that will be me :frantic:

Mark

• Haha 1

Mark @Sparkie if you feel a little lost, find yer way over to Hall 3, there, you can at least have a sit down!

Sorry, I should have said it, rather than thought it! 'at our tables'.

Paul

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Mark @Sparkie if you feel a little lost, find yer way over to Hall 3, there, you can at least have a sit down!

Paul

Don't be afraid to share a table, there aren't that many seats!

• Like 2