As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

35 minutes ago, CedB said:

If you need some honest help I suggest you track down Paul at Modelling Tools; he's helped me a lot in the past and, although I have no commercial connection, he's been really helpful to me in the past and usually has a variety of brushes to try out.

Yes indeed, I’ve seen similar posts before and was planning to do so.

Are any of you going to SMW? I know there's a dedicated thread in the Shows section, but I didn't recognise any names there so thought I'd ask here.

I've not managed to make it for a few years but will be there on the Saturday this year.

NB The above was originally posted in the Civil Aircraft Modelling section, and was presumably moved here by a Moderator.  No matter, there were no replies anyway!

Edited by buzz
For clarity.

On 14/09/2019 at 21:11, Black Knight said:

Does any of youse know of any decent road-side cafe between Liverpool/Birkenhead and Telford

On 15/09/2019 at 01:54, stringbag said:

I usually stop at the New Raven Transport cafe, just south of Whitchurch on the A41.  Can't beat the breakfasts 🥓🍳

That was an easy one

Now for a harder question.

Does any of youse know of a decent sort of caff between Telford and Birkenhead which will be open on the Sunday evening?

Once again, we used to stop off at the Little Chef for a light meal and a short road break after the panic of packing up and leaving SMW

The Raven caff mentioned above closes at 15.00 on Sundays so its not available.

Ant suggestions anyone?

I just received this email from the chaps at Zoukei Mura so I'll be there...

Dear Valued Customer,

We hope this email finds you well.

Thank you very much for your reservation of the SWS 1/32 Hs 129 kit to be picked up at IPMS Scale ModelWorld in Telford 2019!

We truly appreciate your continued support of Zoukei-Mura Super Wings Series, and we sincerely apologize for the delay in sending this confirmation email.

Please bring £115 in cash (exact change would be highly appreciated) to the Zoukei-Mura booth before 1:00PM on Saturday, 9th November 2019.

Any reserved kits that are not picked up by 1:00PM will be put up for sale, so please don’t forget to come by in the morning!

We can’t wait to see you at Scale ModelWorld!

Sincerely,

The SWS Development Team

Mike C (Bootneck) and I spent a happy couple of hours in the ZM queue a few years back. I was waiting to collect my Horten and Mike had a few kits pending too. We were complete strangers when we first started talking to each other but almost family by the time the ZM guys opened the stall! Here we are courtesy of the ZM site who snapped us waiting in the queue. We weren't bashful... :like:      Oh, and thanks for pointing me to BM Mike while we chatted  :wink:

main_visual_No059_en.jpg

SD

Got my email as well, looking forward to the show this year, although a few traders are not coming for various reasons including the B word!

Staying over for Sunday night as well, so can drop into Cosford and have a leisurely breakfast!

Hopefully meet a number of you again this year.

Cheers, Neil 

Does anyone know if there is a luggage check at the International Centre? On the Sunday I'm flying home so I've got a big suitcase to lug around, it would be best if I could leave it somewhere safe. I've checked the ICC website but it's not mentioned on there.

28 minutes ago, sroubos said:

Does anyone know if there is a luggage check at the International Centre? On the Sunday I'm flying home so I've got a big suitcase to lug around, it would be best if I could leave it somewhere safe. I've checked the ICC website but it's not mentioned on there.

Basically no there is not for luggage. There is a cloakroom for coats. hats and brollies. There is also a security office.

Two suggestions; bribe the security office with a small box of choccies and ask them to look after the case or link up with some modellers who have a display and ask them to keep it under their table*

*If it suits, you can leave it with IPMS - N.I. ; my group

8 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Not sure if this has already been posted on this thread but the Traders List for SMW 2019 is here;

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/traders-at-scale-modelworld/

The two traders I don't see in that are Master and Special Hobby. If not, very disappointing.

11 minutes ago, Whofan said:

The two traders I don't see in that are Master and Special Hobby. If not, very disappointing.

Possibly a ripple-effect from Brexit?

Chris. 

Sovereign Hobbies are giving it a miss as traders but biggest loss for me is Resicast!

Neil 

On 01/10/2019 at 09:09, SafetyDad said:

I just received this email from the chaps at Zoukei Mura so I'll be there...

Dear Valued Customer,

We hope this email finds you well.

Thank you very much for your reservation of the SWS 1/32 Hs 129 kit to be picked up at IPMS Scale ModelWorld in Telford 2019!

We truly appreciate your continued support of Zoukei-Mura Super Wings Series, and we sincerely apologize for the delay in sending this confirmation email.

Please bring £115 in cash (exact change would be highly appreciated) to the Zoukei-Mura booth before 1:00PM on Saturday, 9th November 2019.

Any reserved kits that are not picked up by 1:00PM will be put up for sale, so please don’t forget to come by in the morning!

We can’t wait to see you at Scale ModelWorld!

Sincerely,

The SWS Development Team

Mike C (Bootneck) and I spent a happy couple of hours in the ZM queue a few years back. I was waiting to collect my Horten and Mike had a few kits pending too. We were complete strangers when we first started talking to each other but almost family by the time the ZM guys opened the stall! Here we are courtesy of the ZM site who snapped us waiting in the queue. We weren't bashful... :like:      Oh, and thanks for pointing me to BM Mike while we chatted  :wink:

main_visual_No059_en.jpg

SD

I would like to pick up a 1/72 Horten 229 from Zoulei Mura from Telford and can't see anywhere on their site to do so.

Do you know if there is a way to do this, bearing in mind you managed to reserve a kit from them?

I am quite sure as soon as I see how you did it I will look at their site and kick myself very energetically!

51 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Possibly a ripple-effect from Brexit?

Chris. 

it might be, but there are other traders from EU member states attending - GasPatch models for one.

A bit surprised Special Hobby is not there, might be Brexit effect, but they may have other reasons, they seem to have a lot of half finished moulds at present and might want to put resources into getting stuff out. They do seem to have a lot of stuff announced and half done that takes a while to get to market. 

10 hours ago, Whofan said:

I would like to pick up a 1/72 Horten 229 from Zoulei Mura from Telford and can't see anywhere on their site to do so.

Do you know if there is a way to do this, bearing in mind you managed to reserve a kit from them?

I am quite sure as soon as I see how you did it I will look at their site and kick myself very energetically!

Sadly I don't think there is an option for you to do this on their website. Like you, I've returned to the site and to where I reserved my kit (at the foot of the Old Man's Blog No 104). The form there only gives the option to reserve the Hs129 (but I'm sure you know that :sad:).

You could try emailing ZM to see if they anticipate bringing stock with them to Telford? Also I've bought ZM 1/32 stuff from Radu Brinzan's site before (within the EU so no customs charges) but he doesn't seem to have the 1/72 Ho229 listed at the moment. 

Sorry I can't be of more help. Queuing at the ZM booth can be a bit of an epic undertaking, especially without a guarantee of success. Ask me how I know!! 

SD 

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Sadly I don't think there is an option for you to do this on their website. Like you, I've returned to the site and to where I reserved my kit (at the foot of the Old Man's Blog No 104). The form there only gives the option to reserve the Hs129 (but I'm sure you know that :sad:).

You could try emailing ZM to see if they anticipate bringing stock with them to Telford? Also I've bought ZM 1/32 stuff from Radu Brinzan's site before (within the EU so no customs charges) but he doesn't seem to have the 1/72 Ho229 listed at the moment. 

Sorry I can't be of more help. Queuing at the ZM booth can be a bit of an epic undertaking, especially without a guarantee of success. Ask me how I Know!

SD

I'll certainly try emailing them, and I have found a place in Northampton - Flying Tiger Models - who are showing the 1/72 Ho229 on their website as due for release late October. (£39.99)

So if ZM don't bring any, I know where I can get it later.

I do know what queuing is like at the stand, I did it a few years ago and got the Ta 152. It was like the time before the internet when you queued up at the box office to get tickets to see a band - unnerving!

The Brexit thing is more uncertainty than anything else - how long will it actually take to get here / through the border, how much will we be tariffed at the border on the goods etc. The answer is that nobody is sure, but that's not good enough for some.

The fact is that Telford is very expensive to trade at, much more so than most shows and by a large margin. It's more expensive than many of the premier European shows like SMC in Eindhoven. The TIC is very expensive to hire - there are no government cost incentives for cultural use of venues in the UK as there are in some other European countries. As most will notice, much of the table space at Telford is given for free to clubs and SIGs, and IPMS members walk in for free too. That means that almost the entirety of the very high cost of the venue is paid for by the traders. Frankly the costs of attending Telford for us travelling from up in the north east (of Scotland, not 5 hours south in Newcastle) are such that even the large foot-fall at Telford still boils down to a less than stellar use of a weekend in commercial terms. Sure, sales are pretty good for most traders, but with costs so high and lots of expenses on top we take in a lot of money, keep a big wedge to replace stock sold and another big wedge was already paid out to let us stand there. Do the arithmetic and actual net profit is very small, but there's a lot of hassle before and after so in some ways it would be better to just sit at home, have a beer, do some modelling and come Monday morning the business is £300 worse off than it could have been if we'd tortured ourselves with show attendance.

It's nice that so many do travel from overseas for it but if one can't be certain there wont be border delays that cause them to miss the setup window (and therefore lose all the sales but still pay out the fees and the expenses) without adding another 2 days travel and accommodation costs and/or can't be certain if their pricing structure will need to include for an unspecified tariff or not, I can understand why some who were previously happy to attend more for the exposure than to actually make anything have chosen to give it a miss, this year at least.

Edited to add: Following some of the reactions made to this post I wish to clarify that this isn't a "poor us" attempt at all. It's merely to give some insight into the commercial balance that all businesses must strike when deciding whether to attend shows or not. Our time isn't free, attendance is far from free and when there are significant unknowns that destabilise what we expect to happen, it can make it more prudent to sit out than to gamble. Most non-trading attendees are simply oblivious to all this. Nobody is cutting their noses off to spite their face, and not attending isn't a sign that these businesses are about to disappear down the plug - only that a particular event with such vast costs has no option but to perform financially, so if it looks like there's a fair chance it will fail to perform, some businesses won't take the risk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Thanks for the heads up, duly printed off.

I notice that in hall 3 there is a section for Special Hobby, who aren't mentioned in the list of traders.

Could this simply be a late addition, or a mistake in the early list produced?

Either way, if Special Hobby are there, I'll be pleased to see them.

Edited by Whofan
spelling

Good to have the plans (At last! Does anyone else fret until they know where to go at Telford)

Time to plan progress around the event, yippee

(Brum IPMS is in Hall 3 near the entrance [3C] )

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

Good to have the plans (At last! Does anyone else fret until they know where to go at Telford)

Time to plan progress around the event, yippee

(Brum IPMS is in Hall 3 near the entrance [3C] )

I do,

Hall 3 to start, after I join the queue at ZM for a 1/72 Ho 229, then hall 2 then hall 1. Club tables first, traders next. Refreshment break and sit down after each hall.

They've stuck the N.I. branch in the very back corner of Hall 3!

Thats with the 'Overseas Branches' ! Do you think they know something?

31 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Didn't like to say @Black Knight!! :tease: I can 'Cos historically I'm a Kerry Man.

Anyway whatcha moaning for? you have good company in Hall 3, you've got Brummiguum and the sign of the White Boar, aka North Riding!

See you at Telford 👍

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Certainly not; it just means all the translators are in one spot:bleh: