This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

First Telford this year, its a pity to hear about the food options being limited.

I was at the big Warley Model Rail event last year (the rail equivalent of SMW) and they had a whole fleet of food trucks there in the hall with a superb array of options.

I'll stock up on trail mix for the day...

I'm still undecided about Telford this year as it means losing a weekend of studying but, as the Wonderful Mrs Wez has relatives in Wolves it could be a good excuse to pay them a visit that weekend...   ...:hmmm:

33 minutes ago, Wez said:

I'm still undecided about Telford this year as it means losing a weekend of studying but, as the Wonderful Mrs Wez has relatives in Wolves it could be a good excuse to pay them a visit that weekend...   ...:hmmm:

Take the plunge, you can always take your books with you and study on the Sunday if inclined. Jabba will make room for you on the table for a chat.

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I know! The tone dropped about 2 years back when some bounders turned up!

Well, I didn't like to say..........:wicked:

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Go on, you KNOW you want to, nowt in Wolv'hampton to keep you there!

5 hours ago, chris57 said:

Take the plunge, you can always take your books with you and study on the Sunday if inclined. Jabba will make room for you on the table for a chat.

Wez, if you get fed up with Chris's company! your more than welcome to join us on the North Riding tables :tease:

10 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

First Telford this year, its a pity to hear about the food options being limited.

I was at the big Warley Model Rail event last year (the rail equivalent of SMW) and they had a whole fleet of food trucks there in the hall with a superb array of options.

I'll stock up on trail mix for the day...

Telford shopping centre is only a 5 min. walk away, as many food outlets, sit ins & supermarkets as you could possibly want.

Once the doors open and I get into the halls at Telford I have to say food is the last thing on my mind and this coming from someone who really likes their food.

To anyone concerned about food the best option is probably to just bring your own. Maybe the modelling press instead of endless articles about building and painting models could include some model show recipe suggestions.

Just a thought.

A bigger issue to the food choices at Telford for me is finding somewhere to sit and eat what you have brought. By the afternoon chairs can be at a premium.

Bah! All kinds of things have conspired, and I’ve had to make the decision that we won’t be travelling to this year's show. :(

I was looking forward to it. Now it won’t happen. Let’s hope we can make it for 2020.

45 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Bah! All kinds of things have conspired, and I’ve had to make the decision that we won’t be travelling to this year's show. :(

I was looking forward to it. Now it won’t happen. Let’s hope we can make it for 2020.

Thats a real shame Heather. I'm sure we'll all be at next year's show to say hi!

Terry

It’s always been impossible for me as it coincides with the wife’s birthday, but as she’s going away the previous weekend leaving me with the kids it’s been negotiated that she will owe me a day off duty...😁 can you really not cover it in one day though?

Depends how much time you spend talking rather than shopping!  If you really like peering closely at every model on display a week would not be long enough.  If you go with a shopping/to-do list and a strong determination not to stray from it, a day is fine.  But it can overwhelm good intentions...

59 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Depends how much time you spend talking rather than shopping!  If you really like peering closely at every model on display a week would not be long enough.  If you go with a shopping/to-do list and a strong determination not to stray from it, a day is fine.  But it can overwhelm good intentions...

If I liked talking I wouldn’t make models 😎🤐

Agree with Graham.  For doing it in one day, focus is key.  Decide which stalls you want to hit, and maybe forearm yourself with an idea of where they are in which hall, complete your "must-do" list (i), then you can relax and enjoy yourself, either by maybe looking at the odd model or two or, more likely, purchasing loads more stuff you hadn't a thought of buying or didn't even know existed when you set out that morning.

(i) as early as possible: remember that the cottage industry folks will prob only have limited stocks.

Edited by Seahawk

I can enjoy myself completing my to-do list, and you have you say hello to old acquaintances, so only the most anti-social modeller can avoid talking at some time!   I suggest that the greatest joy is indeed finding those items, be they models or books or tools or whatever (there's a lot of whatever to be found) that you didn't know existed, but now realise that was exactly what you'd been looking for all your modelling life.  The knack comes in tuning down the show-engendered enthusiasm for the whole of creation.

I would however advise allowing for more money than your must list requires, plus expenses.  Because you will find something new to you...

I've always found a seat, if not a clear table, if only by spotting an empty chair by an occupied table and asking.  "Found anything good?" Is always a good opening gambit, although if the table top is already cluttered with boxes the answer will be obvious.

I find the centre's car park fills too soon, so if you are down for the day head past the first signs and take the next exit, parking in the town, outside the centre block. Cheap parking on Sunday, though yes the rarest stuff will have gone.  There'll still be plenty.

My experience of one day only mirrors that of Graham. It pays to be organised. As an IPMS member, getting in earlier helps and having a shopping/viewing list is useful. I have a shopping list and make sure I have printed out the maps and lists of stands from the IPMS website. There is usually a show guide available on the day, but I find it easier to have sorted it out beforehand. I always have an IPMS Nats fund I put a little in each week throughout the year and so if I see something unexpected I can get it. The anticipation and planning is half the fun and I admit to getting childishly excited on the way in (my daughter would say it is because I am a sad old man, she night be right) I always meet someone I know and have a chat, although it is often about who is no longer with us. 

3 minutes ago, Mr T said:

My experience of one day only mirrors that of Graham. It pays to be organised. As an IPMS member, getting in earlier helps and having a shopping/viewing list is useful. I have a shopping list and make sure I have printed out the maps and lists of stands from the IPMS website. There is usually a show guide available on the day, but I find it easier to have sorted it out beforehand. I always have an IPMS Nats fund I put a little in each week throughout the year and so if I see something unexpected I can get it. The anticipation and planning is half the fun and I admit to getting childishly excited on the way in (my daughter would say it is because I am a sad old man, she night be right) I always meet someone I know and have a chat, although it is often about who is no longer with us. 

It's great to see that my little habits for Telford follow other, wiser heads.

I also put money away each month for Telford, print out the maps for the trader and club stands, decide which trade stands I need ( errrr .... want to go to !) - and note the location of certain club/sig stands.

I absolutely agree too that there is a sense of excitement going to it and in, and I try to do the halls in a certain order - with a coffee break when I've finished each one.

And I always pick up my Hannants order on my way out!

But always remember old Chinese saying" always better to travel than to arrive"🧙‍♀️

22 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

But always remember old Chinese saying" always better to travel than to arrive"🧙‍♀️

Now there our public transport network really excels: ensuring you spend the maximum time travelling and deferring for as long as conceivably possible the actual arrival bit. 

I'm not very good at model shows. The only model I ever remember seeing at Telford was Peter from Airscale's Spitfire. Most of the displays are just obstacles not to bump in to 😳

I don't mean to ignore them all - I just don't really register that there's anything to look at. Saying that I never look at my own after they're built either, so I think I'm really just here for learning from others in the WIP sections and shows full of built models hold limited appeal for a weirdo like me! With that in mind, I was able to "complete" Telford in about 90 minutes the first time I went, then I left and went to do other things outside.

My tips for Telford

Wear decent shoes.

Bring your own food.

Bring hand sanitiser.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

My tips for Telford

Wear decent shoes.

Bring your own food.

Bring hand sanitiser.

And a can of air freshener.......or a clothes peg.

I go with a list and print off the traders map. I’m always go on the Saturday for fear of the traders running out!, plus my wife would divorce me as I suspect all I’d do on the Saturday is pace up and down the house🤔. I grab my stuff in the morning and then stop for home made lunch and then look at the displays in the afternoon. If I’ve been busy, I’ll need to pop back to the car and dump my purchases so as not to carry around my sins. I too wear trainers and light clothing and take sandwiches and hand cleanser. I don’t feel rushed although by the time I get into the kitswap it’s very thinned down and the que can look overwhelming with long tired faces. Always leave a flask of coffe in the car and sit on the back bumper and have coffee and crackers before the trip home.

Steve.

Edited by speedy

I think I'm lucky.....

I always go on the Sunday - it's quieter for a start. I always park in the Asda car park- 5 minute walk from the TIC and only £1 to park all day. My wife generally comes with me, and will spend a couple of hours or so there and then she might disappear off into Telford centre.

However, when it comes to the food, that for us both is a massive stumbling block. We both have medical issues that can limit what we eat. I am Gluten and Lactose intolerant (with a couple of other intolerances thrown in.....) which means in all honesty I cannot in anyway shape or form eat any of the food (and have most of the drink) on offer in the TIC. No Chips, no burgers, no sausages, no pizza.... No coffees from Costa (cant even have Soya milk!) So I'm very lucky in not being able to eat in the TIC 🙂

The wife has Crohns Disease which cuts out a lot of greasy, fried food - which again eliminates most of the TIC food.

Off to Telford Shopping centre for us!

So if my pass out holds good I shall aim for Saturday- it’s about an hour on the train  so getting there earlyish is simple. I see there’s two Greggs nearby so lunch is sorted ( though the pasties aren’t  as nice as they used to be when they were seriously unhealthy...). 

The stash being quite big enough, I think I’ll spend at least some time allowing myself to be persuaded to buy a decent airbrush.

10 minutes ago, wombat said:

…allowing myself to be persuaded to buy a decent airbrush.

If you need some honest help I suggest you track down Paul at Modelling Tools; he's helped me a lot in the past and, although I have no commercial connection, he's been really helpful to me in the past and usually has a variety of brushes to try out.