This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

16 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I doubt you will be seeing me this year (Tam or not). I didn't really enjoy the feeding frenzy atmosphere last year (admittedly it was Saturday) and I'm not currently buying kits. In fact the last time I bought a kit was Telford last year.*

* For those who haven't encountered it before, it's called 'self-control'. :wink:

:( Told you, the day to come is Sunday, breeze in around 11:00 mooch around (NOT buying!?!!!) till about 14:00, and still be home in the light!

* Wha dat??????

Paul (who'll be there from Friday through Monday)

One thing for non British visitors is that I have never found the catering at Telford to be brilliant. The Costa in the foyer produces a drinkable coffee, but for the rest, not much if you are not keen on chips or sandwiches. Last year I bought some salad stuff etc from the local M&S in Shrewsbury where we were staying and put in a cool bag. It was easier for me as I had the car and parked on site. Just an opinion, but based on experience. 

There are a lot of food outlets in the shopping centre including M&S where l get my snacks and lunch. It would be good to meet up with some of the Britmodeller crew. I will be on the IPMS West Kent stand for both days. 

Regards

Robert

12 hours ago, Mr T said:

One thing for non British visitors is that I have never found the catering at Telford to be brilliant. 

“[Not] .... brilliant”?  For our non-British readers this is called British understatement.  “Ghastly” might be a truer description.  The poor quality and expense of the food at Telford are the stuff of legend.  Think of all the horror stories you have read about British food, pile them all together, add 50% for luck and you’ll have some idea of what awaits you.  British visitors will go with their normal low expectations of the catering standard at such events but it may come as a shock to those of more refined tastes - or indeed those with functioning taste buds of any description.

Of course, it may have improved in the 5 years or so since I last went.  

11 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

“[Not] .... brilliant”?  For our non-British readers this is called British understatement.  “Ghastly” might be a truer description.  The poor quality and expense of the food at Telford are the stuff of legend.  Think of all the horror stories you have read about British food, pile them all together, add 50% for luck and you’ll have some idea of what awaits you.  British visitors will go with their normal low expectations of the catering standard at such events but it may come as a shock to those of more refined tastes - or indeed those with functioning taste buds of any description.

Of course, it may have improved in the 5 years or so since I last went.  

Errrrrrr .... No.

No it is still poor. The Costas is ok for coffee. The beer is drinkable( i'm told) I tend to have a big breakfast and a good dinner at the hotel. My branch brings snacks if I need them. 

For recognition purposes you may want to print yourself a 'Britmodeller Badge' from the template Mike provided here.

I'll be printing badges for PC, Cookie and Navy Bird so no cargo shorts required!

16 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Paul (who'll be there from Friday through Monday)

As will I, booked my hotel for 3 nights so that I have both full days at the show and I can visit the museum at Cosford on the monday, on my way back to sunny North Yorkshire.

6 minutes ago, CedB said:

so no cargo shorts required!

Darn it, and I still have mine from my last trip to Florida. :whistle:

17 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Darn it, and I still have mine from my last trip to Florida. :whistle:

Bob, wear and be damned!

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

You guys must be eating in the wrong places.

I was talking about the stuff in the halls, is the restaurant any better? I always used to bring my own stuff and when I restarted coming in 2017 relied on the inhouse catering, but not in 2018 except for drinks. 

Ratch, 

where are you eating,  I'm pretty much tied up for the three days of the show, so don't have a lot of time to eat, hence my comment about breakfast but by Sunday lunchtime I tend to  be flagging so a decent  location in the centre would be good.

TBH, the hotel where I stay has a petrol station with a small food hall. I stock up on sarnies, and there is a good pub up the road when I get back. I did have a pint at Telford last year, but I wasn't driving that day.

I do not eat at the Centre. The inference was that all food outlets in Telford are bad. I breakfast either at the hotel or Wetherspoons. I get a pack up from a store and curry at night. The only thing I consume from the Centre is coffee and beer. I don't expect high quality stuff so I'm not disappointed.

If anyone is staying in Shrewsbury, I can recommend a good tapas place in the centre if you like that sort of thing. It is called Casa Naranjo. One of my issues about Telford is that I am not keen on chips etc at lunchtime. 

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

If anyone is staying in Shrewsbury, I can recommend a good tapas place in the centre if you like that sort of thing. It is called Casa Naranjo. One of my issues about Telford is that I am not keen on chips etc at lunchtime. 

I do, mate, but sadly Mrs RR and I are staying at Ironbridge :(

Martin

6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

.............the hotel where I stay has a petrol station with a small food hall. I stock up on sarnies, and there is a good pub up the road when I get back.

FRANK!!

Just keep it quiet, everybody and his brother'll be rocking up at the Red Lion!

55 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

FRANK!!

Just keep it quiet, everybody and his brother'll be rocking up at the Red Lion!

I know! The tone dropped about 2 years back when some bounders turned up!

Does any of youse know of any decent road-side cafe between Liverpool/Birkenhead and Telford

In the past me and mate would leave the ferry at 06:30 and head to a Little Chef cafe just outside Shrewsbury for a breakfast. But last year we discovered that the Little Chef had closed up. We ended up having a breakfast in the cafe inside ASDA in Telford.

Thus we're looking for somewhere we can get eats from about 8am onwards and can sit awhile

15 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Does any of youse know of any decent road-side cafe between Liverpool/Birkenhead and Telford

In the past me and mate would leave the ferry at 06:30 and head to a Little Chef cafe just outside Shrewsbury for a breakfast. But last year we discovered that the Little Chef had closed up. We ended up having a breakfast in the cafe inside ASDA in Telford.

Thus we're looking for somewhere we can get eats from about 8am onwards and can sit awhile

Yep. That Little Sh Chef was my bolthole. It was supposed to stay open under new management. The Burger King doesn't open very early either. Get some sarnies in the petrol station, if I've left any. :whistle:

On 9/13/2019 at 5:49 PM, Gorby said:

* For those who haven't encountered it before, it's called 'self-control'. :wink:

Does not compute.

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I usually stop at the New Raven Transport cafe, just south of Whitchurch on the A41.  Can't beat the breakfasts 🥓🍳

6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Yep. That Little Sh Chef was my bolthole. It was supposed to stay open under new management. The Burger King doesn't open very early either. Get some sarnies in the petrol station, if I've left any. :whistle:

We will have been eating sarnies all night.

A nice breaky and a rest to delay arrival at Telford

1 hour ago, stringbag said:

I usually stop at the New Raven Transport cafe, just south of Whitchurch on the A41.  Can't beat the breakfasts 🥓🍳

Thanks, Noted, I'll look it up