This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

I am planning on being there, Mrs T and I stay in Shrewsbury as they have a really nice Tapas place. This will be my third show in a row after a six year break due to ill health etc. Had an unbroken run between 1979 and 2011 and even  helped organise it in the mid eighties 

Martin @RidgeRunner, our Bob, @Retired Bob WILL be on the North Riding stand....even if I have to nail his feet to the floor!

Don't know where the tables will be this year, as I have yet to speak to my insider... but be assured we WILL be there.....somewhere!

Paul

I`m working that weekend, shame, would`ve liked to put a face to the name and meet other BM`ers, though. I`ll just have to read about it when everyone gets back and posts some pic`s etc🙄.  

Hi gents..I might be giving Telford a go...Ive heard so much that its the number one item on my bucket list.

A couple of quick questions...since rooms are sold out in Telford is staying i Birmingham a good option.  It looks like a short ride on the weekends.?

What rail line do you recommend? there appears to be several to choose from?

How far the railroad station i the exhibit centre?  Is it walkable?

Can I do the show in one day and enjoy it or should I plan both days?

This might be the best place to ask:

I would come to the show for two days, better if you are an IPMS member it will get you in earlier and quicker on most occasions. Trains the closest or main train station for Telford is about a mile away from the exhibition centre. Yes you can come from Birmingham, but again unless your hotel is right next to the main railway station it's another walk for you. There are other more interesting places to stay over and more than likely cheaper as well. Shrewsbury is on the same train line not far from Telford and is quite an interesting place. Wolverhampton is another town that is on the same railway line but is not as typically English film set place as Shrewsbury, still very good though.  Flying in to Birmingham International airport is good with decent railway connections to the centre of Birmingham and onwards to both Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton.

Hope this helps and please just ask and I/we will help in any way.

Simon

7 hours ago, Viasistina said:

...........is staying i Birmingham a good option.  It looks like a short ride on the weekends.?

What rail line do you recommend? there appears to be several to choose from?

How far the railroad station i the exhibit centre?  Is it walkable?

Can I do the show in one day and enjoy it or should I plan both days?

Morning Viasistina,

as my mate Gorby has said this would do better in the "Shows" section, however, to take your questions in order:-

Hmm, is all I'll say, however, if you are dependant on "Public Transport" (i.e. NO car) you could do worse than Brum. though it's worth a look at Shrewsbury, as has already been suggested. DO check on the trains before you book, the trains are currently running on the 'summer' time table. If memory serves the 'winter' time table comes in from October 1st. Saturday should be fine, however Sunday is the day when any service work takes place, if your going to have problems, it'll be Sunday.

Average time for the journey, Birmingham - Telford is 40 minutes, one train from Birmingham New Street to Telford Central, return ticket around £11.00 = $12.50 Shrewsbury - Telford approx. 20 minutes, cost of a return is around £5.50 ($7.00) at current exchange rates, if booked early. DON'T leave it until you land! Have a look on 'Trainline' (other sites available!) here:- https://www.thetrainline.com

Yes, it's walkable, about a mile (1.3k approx) but it may be worth a taxi, as it's uphill from the station to the TIC and should it be raining, sleeting, snowing.....! Mind you, everybody WILL know you as you'll be the resident snowman!

NOT A CHANCE! BOTH days, too much to see in one. If you know anyone in the U.S. that's been in the last few years, have a chat, as the place will knock yer socks off, it's HUGE, the covered site is 15,000 Sq.M (161,500 Sq. Ft.) far bigger than it's equivalent(s) in the U.S. Make sure you have good footwear, 'cos yer dogs WILL be barking!

HTH

Paul

Coming over again for my 7th visit..can't help with accomodation as for the past few visits I've stayed with a group of lads from IPMS Rotherham and IPMS Sheffield at an inn just south of Bridgenorth (:drink:).

Looking forwards to catching up again with all my UK and Continental contacts.

Pete M.

Well, I got the sign off by Mrs RidgeRunner who has said she'd love to go too! :) So, I will have to wear a rose in my lapel in the hope that I can meet up with many, or all, of you great people! 

@Wez @Sabrejet @Terry1954 @John R @71chally @Pete M. @Navy Bird @sammy da fish @Gorby @Viasistina @Mr T  @stevej60 @stevej60 @Retired Bob @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies @Courageous @Stew Dapple @Cookenbacher @perdu

@Procopius @bentwaters81tfw And many others :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

That's good, see you there

I plan to be there Saturday & Sunday. I'm staying at the University of Telford on Saturday night. They still had rooms yesterday @ £55/night

John

53 minutes ago, John R said:

I plan to be there Saturday & Sunday. I'm staying at the University of Telford on Saturday night. They still had rooms yesterday @ £55/night

John

Very good, John. Mrs RR and I will only be there on Saturday, sadly. We ae staying in Ironbridge.

Martin

42 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

We ae staying in Ironbridge.

Where abouts in Ironbridge?,we stay there every year.

3 hours ago, camper1 said:

Where abouts in Ironbridge?,we stay there every year.

The  Best Western Valley Hotel, mate

Edited by RidgeRunner

Booked an Airbnb in Shrewsbury this morning and so should be there. Looking forward to seeing some fellow Britmodellers. 

Yes, feels like this could me a very good year for meets!

Terry

11 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Yes, feels like this could me a very good year for meets!

Terry

I hope so, Terry. I just need to get a list together of where everyone is! And what all the real names are! ;). If it was summer I'd have a RidgeRunner T-shirt printed!

Martin

Martin, @RidgeRunner leave your arrival until 10:30 on Saturday, you'll probably be grateful for a T shirt!

Paul

I shall be there both days with the Ageless & Nostalgic Vintage Models SIG.

19 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I shall be there both days with the Ageless & Nostalgic Vintage Models SIG.

I need to make a list - "tags", names, locations ... :). I dont know anyone by sight :( 

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I need to make a list - "tags", names, locations ... :). I dont know anyone by sight :( 

Like all Americans abroad, I'll be wearing the national dress of my people: a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts*.

* No.

Just now, Procopius said:

Like all Americans abroad, I'll be wearing the national dress of my people: a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts*.

* No.

There'll be no missing you, then! ;)..... depending on the weather I'll be typically British and snuggled in to a warm pullover :)

Martin

*No, too ...... ;)

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

* No.

Unless they're in Scotland. Then it's more tartan than the rest of the population combined.*

*So they 'fit in'.

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Unless they're in Scotland. Then it's more tartan than the rest of the population combined.*

*So they 'fit in'.

But Gorby, Telford's not in Scotland, and we KNOW how much you love Tartan, so this year will you be wearing your Tam????? :wicked:

18 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

But Gorby, Telford's not in Scotland, and we KNOW how much you love Tartan, so this year will you be wearing your Tam????? :wicked:

I doubt you will be seeing me this year (Tam or not). I didn't really enjoy the feeding frenzy atmosphere last year (admittedly it was Saturday) and I'm not currently buying kits. In fact the last time I bought a kit was Telford last year.*

* For those who haven't encountered it before, it's called 'self-control'. :wink:

Incidentally, I should have added to my previous post:

Don't worry @Procopius, Brits are an embarrassment abroad as well.