As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

When you see how much it costs to have a pitch at SMW you may understand why.

Fair point.  Likewise you might be able to see why punters might think that everything being equal, new 1:72 fighter sized jets should not cost as much as a new 1:72 B-52 ?

I'm not going to dash deeply into the story of my show, but I want to thank everyone who came by the Birmingham stand and joined in the carousing

Amazing to see Melchie and the Martian (and the delightful. Martian hand maiden)

Well done everyone, well done.  ( I know, shades of Mr Grace...)

Ciao

Having spent both days there another great show and very tiring.

As usual some strange decisions in the competition but best not go there...

Mike

Stew and I did alright. Glad I wasn't trading and reading about haggling I'm even more glad - I find haggling attempts quite insulting.

It was great seeing a few specific people but mostly I kept a low profile.

It was nice to see:

@CedB, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird, @Shar2, @Courageous@rob85, @Jason C as well as Richard Harden of Tom's Modelworks/White Ensign Models, Peter Hall of Atlantic Models, Michiel Woort of Naval Modela, Mélaine from L'Arsenal, Mike McCabe of Starling Models, Dave from Whirlybird Models, Keum Ho Kim of Pontos Model, Jim Baumann and Don from Fine Waterline, Eric whom I met for the first time at judging, Ray Nolton and Chris Hewitt's display at the entrance, Jens Braandal and a visual greeting with Chris Meddings. If I've forgotten anyone, please accept my apologies.

@perdu I didn't get to say hello as I was whisked away but I saw the HH-3E wreckage reached you ok. Hope you can do more with it than I ever did!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Stew and I did alright. Glad I wasn't trading and reading about haggling I'm even more glad - I find haggling attempts quite insulting.

It was nice to see:

@CedB, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird, @Shar2, @Courageous@rob85, @Jason C as well as Richard Harden of Tom's Modelworks/White Ensign Models, Peter Hall of Atlantic Models, Michiel Woort of Naval Modela, Mélaine from L'Arsenal, Mike McCabe of Starling Models, Dave from Whirlybird Models, Keum Ho Kim of Pontos Model, Jim Baumann and Don from Fine Waterline, Eric whom I met for the first time at judging, Ray Nolton and Chris Hewitt's display at the entrance, Jens Braandal and a visual greeting with Chris Meddings. If I've forgotten anyone, please accept my apologies.

@perdu I didn't get to say hello as I was whisked away but I saw the HH-3E wreckage reached you ok. Hope you can do more with it than I ever did!

I was gobsmacked when the HH3E ended up in my hands, just out of nowhere

I would have loved to chat/natter but I was certainly fragile on Saturday, next time I hope

I will see where the combination takes me, thanks Jamie

Next paint order I will pop in any progress pics

Dark Sea Grey, top of the list, soon be more to add to it

We had a great time, second time at the show even managed to park in the Centre Carpark on the Saturday which after 3 trips just to get everything thing in was a godsend. 

The volunteers in yellow did a great job again.  My lad had a very exciting day on Saturday, picked to a couple of medals, lost one tooth (apologies for those who had to witness the amateur dentistry in the loo) and was interviewed by a vlogger.

The Airfix make and take included the 1/24 Impreza which was great.

Managed to have a good look around the club and sig stands today and there was some excellent stuff out there.

A perfect weekend.

Well, another Telford consigned to history. What did I think?.

As an exhibitor it was a long weekend.  It was great to hang around the front of the table and chat to people about models, techniques and any old rubbish. I don't know if I caught up with any of you guys as apart from @Silver Fox no-one suggested their handles. Anyway it was great to meet everyone. 

I didn't get too much time to see everything,  but I particularly liked the 100feet display with the 747 on finals, a lot of work getting that one ready.

I thought that Saturday was much busier than last year, a good sign hopefully.  Sunday was about what is usual so again, positive.

I would like to pass on thanks to all IPMS members who helped out in making the show the success it was. These are the unsung heroes who make the weekend work for all who visit the show.  

Now, time to go through my haul and get a well earned beer.

See you next year.

The Lemur.

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It was nice to see:

It was a pleasure to meet you! And all of the above. I would have liked to hang around longer but had to get back to the kids.

it was a good show, managed to pick up a few kits and have a nice chat with some lovely people!

cheers to @CedB for a good few introductions! And to @Navy Bird @HP42 (I’m hoping I got that correct!) for the chat and coffee! Great to finally meet @Cookenbacher @Procopius and @Stew Dapple and put a lot of faces to names! @perdu hope your on the mend, and nice to see you again, as well as @Tomoshenko! Sorry if I’ve missed anyone!

must come again next year

Rob

2 hours ago, mick b said:

I thought the strange decisions were more widespread than usual, but perhaps this would be better as a topic for a separate discussion?

Edited by 3DStewart

4 hours ago, mick b said:

Having spent both days there another great show and very tiring.

Mike

Well you know what to do, if you think you can be a better judge,volunteer next year.

Had an especially great time this year with putting faces to names.

Those that I remember:

@Terry1954, @Martian Hale, @limeypilot, @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird, @CedB, @Fritag, @Procopius, @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies & @Stew Dapple.

Special thanks for those that popped by the table: @longshanks@RidgeRunner & @robgizlu.

The ace in the pack was @corsaircorp who kept me topped up with his Belgian beer. What a guy, pity it's a bi-annual event for him.

Spent lots but not as much as last year.

Pity I missed @general melchett but he was being very elusive in the area of Martian.

If I've forgotten anyone, please accept my apologies.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

7 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Well you know what to do, if you think you can be a better judge,volunteer next year.

Predictable but I fully appreciate it is a very difficult job in a relatively short time and that they get to scrutinise the model more than I by being able to lift it up etc. I just think maybe IPMS should review the number of ‘commended’ etc handed out as some outstanding work appears to be unacknowledged? 

I thought the judging was ok this year. I suppose you could make an argument for many of the models being deserving of a better or worse award than they got.

The judging may be better aided if they could somehow improve the lighting in the competition area. By the time they open it up to the public in the afternoon it is on the dim side of dull up there. One of these years I am going to come with a battery operated LED lamp.

First time at the show as a birthday prezzie from my good lady who also attended with me, who also, I think may have caught the bug.....purchasing a Triumph Herald to dip her toes into...We couldn't find a Ford Anglia, so this is the next best thing...

I could have spent a small fortune with the amount of kits on sale there.

Some fantastic displays and diorama's from all the societies and all really friendly. Especially the chap from Cornwall who seemed slightly concerned that it was sleeting out side on Saturday.

Also really great to meet @canberra kid on the 70th Anniversary stand for the Canberra in all of it's forms. More kits for the stash too, including a first generation of a GeeBee  from Dora Wings....I think this may be my next build log.

My adventure to the Telford area is not quite over yet..... I'm off to Cosord this morning before striking South to deepest Dorset.

I met so many BM folk, some for the first time, some once again. Memory recalls @Courageous (how can I forget) @perdu (excellent choppers), @Tomoshenko,  (Well done on that gold), @Martian Hale (part of an MVS press gang I think), @Fritag (remember Steve, don't rush those Hawks), @corsaircorp,  (My head still hurts), @Cookenbacher, @limeypilot, @Procopius, @Navy Bird, @CedB, @RidgeRunner, @Stew Dapple@robgizlu and @AdrianMF

Apologies to those I met but memory does not recall this Monday morning, it's still the Belgian beer effect, and of course those I missed including Crisp, @Ex-FAAWAFU we apparantly missed by minutes, largely because I was late, @Heather Kay, @longshanks and @canberra kid. Actually John we may have met if you were the chap I was discussing Canberras with, and my early years working with them?

I know I met more of you than I mentioned, but give me a break, I'm now retired with a slightly suspect memory!

I'm hoping to hook up with Ced and my new found American colleagues again this Wednesday at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Meanwhile off to Cosford now, anyone else planning to be there today?

Terry

14 hours ago, IanHx said:

punters might think that everything being equal, new 1:72 fighter sized jets should not cost as much as a new 1:72 B-52 ?

Simply out of interest, can you say what those '1:72 fighter sized jets' are - I'm moving up to 48th scale so wasn't paying much attention to 1/72 stuff this weekend. My 'special treat' to myself this year was a Wingman models 1/48 Kfrir, and although I did notice a couple of Modelcollect B-52's, they were all a fair bit more expensive than the 60 quid I paid for the Kfir.... I'd like to google those 1/72 jets and see what's so special about them! :)

Keith

On 09/11/2019 at 21:59, kev67 said:

😂 all I can say really, lots of people with these under their arms being conned out of £80, will be very good for loft insulation 

But surely they looked at them in the display case first and saw how horrible the nose looks?? :shrug:

Keith

I went on Saturday with my daughter. We turned up at 09:50 with our IPMS cards, just before the public gates opened, and I can verify that there was a long public queue. It seemed busier than last year to me.

It was great to meet up at the Birmingham stand, although I was sorry to miss a load of people too. Next year I will print out a Britmodeller badge, but this time I only remembered as I was driving through Hammersmith at 07:15.

I thought second-hand trader prices (and quality) were incredibly varied this year. I only bought one kit (Dora Wings Lysander), not because I have self control but because I realise I need to crack on with more building!

Regards,

Adrian

Unfortunately I missed the BM meet up as I was doing my hour volunteering on the member's desk at the entrance.

Well, it should have been an hour, but it turned into an hour and twenty or so. We initially were only supposed to be checking wristbands and tickets but shortly into the stint ended up selling tickets too ad the replacements for the volunteers on the sales desk didn't turn up. So our stint got extended becuse our 'replacements' wouldn't come and do their stint as 'they didn't want to handle money'. Hmmm.... The always good humoured lady 'front of house manager' wasn't amused at that....!!! :)

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Unfortunately I missed the BM meet up as I was doing my hour volunteering on the member's desk at the entrance.

Well, it should have been an hour, but it turned into an hour and twenty or so. We initially were only supposed to be checking wristbands and tickets but shortly into the stint ended up selling tickets too ad the replacements for the volunteers on the sales desk didn't turn up. So our stint got extended becuse our 'replacements' wouldn't come and do their stint as 'they didn't want to handle money'. Hmmm.... The always good humoured lady 'front of house manager' wasn't amused at that....!!! :)

Keith

This is going to change. At the Branch Secs meeting on Sunday it was quite apparent that all were in favour of using sanctions against such things. The favourite sanction was a restriction of table space at Telford and if a no show was repeated then no space at all.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'd like to google those 1/72 jets and see what's so special about them! :)

Nothing except the ridiculous price. Mostly, but not exclusively, Hasegawa.

28 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

This is going to change. At the Branch Secs meeting on Sunday it was quite apparent that all were in favour of using sanctions against such things. The favourite sanction was a restriction of table space at Telford and if a no show was repeated then no space at all.

We did get a hint of that!

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But surely they looked at them in the display case first and saw how horrible the nose looks?? :shrug:

Keith

And not just the nose, I looked at Alans Icelandic models VC10, he has given his model a lot better character presentation of the nose, also his vertical tail is better as it shows the front trailing edge how it is pointy at the bottom but is more rounded at the top, the engine pylons should have a angle at the front and slope back straight at the back, I also don't think there is enough bulge underneath where the wings meet the fuselage.

Alan did not want to release his VC10 as Mach 2 have released theirs, but he could easily do a correction set.

Anyway at least Mach 2 release kits that people want, I only wish he could spend more time on research into the subject and look at photos of the real thing

5 hours ago, mick b said:

Predictable but I fully appreciate it is a very difficult job in a relatively short time and that they get to scrutinise the model more than I by being able to lift it up etc. I just think maybe IPMS should review the number of ‘commended’ etc handed out as some outstanding work appears to be unacknowledged? 

Yup totally predicable response to a totally predicable whine that comes out every year.

I will duck out of the evergreen discussion about judging except to add how pleasant it was to see the National Champion model

An aeroplane exquisitely made and displayed

Well done champ