As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

7 hours ago, 26Decals said:

Any pics of the Mach 2 VC10s?

You called .... and answer there came ! Apologies for the quality - the display models were in a xase and I suspect that's not helped.

SAM_8213

SAM_8212

7 hours ago, 26Decals said:

Any pics of the Mach 2 VC10s?

😂 all I can say really, lots of people with these under their arms being conned out of £80, will be very good for loft insulation 

Hi Everyone,

Writing this at 23:07pm GMT and just made it back up to Scotland after spending today (Saturday) at Telford.

Firstly I would say that I thought this year (so far) Telford has been a great show. The getting in all seemed to go smoothly with clear signposts for the IPMS and Non IPMS lines. The IPMS people all seemed to have been issued with wristbands and their line again took a full 30mins to get in.

I would echo what Wombat has said above in that I thought it was very busy this year too. All the traders were rammed well into the afternoon today and some stands I gave up trying to get near. I can only assume the traders have had a bumper year. I did think there were a ton of European vistors this year because all day long all I heard were Italian and Spanish and Czech and Eastern Europe languages. It might be my imagination but for the Europeans modelling maybe attracts a younger person than it seems to do in the UK. I guess they are not like a lot of the UK modellers who were brought up in the 60's and 70's and got into modelling back then. Perhaps a discussion for another thread.

The Airfix Vulcan seemed to be much better received than the Hellcat was last year. The model in the case just looked like a big triangular lump of plastic to me and never having built the earlier tooling I can't say how much better the new one will be. I have no doubt it will be light years ahead. I thought the built examples of the Airfix Tiger Moth looked like a very simple looking kit but maybe that is just a reflection of the actual airplane.

Wingnut Wings had sprues on display of both their Lancaster and 0/400 kits and the latter had a full box with box art too so it must be close to being released. One reads about both the WIngnut and HK 1/32 Lancasters online and in the modelling press but it is not until one sees them on a table at Telford do you realise the sheer magnitude of these models. On the HK stand the 1/48 B-17G looked almost diminuitive in comparison to the Lanc.

I thought the competition standard was very high this year with quite a few dioramas presented. The Italian campaign diorama entitled 'Liberation 1944' which I recall seeing as a WIP on the Britmodeller or Armorama forums was in the competition today but it only managed a silver. Beaten by a stunning Chechen war diorama.

Hope those who went today have had as good a day as I have and if you are returning tomorrow (Sunday) then maybe you will enjoy it all over again. For those not able to make it this year don't be disappointed at missing out - just start the saving and planning so you can be there in 2020.

Anyone going to Telford tomorrow ,could you do me a favour .Pop by the Eduard trade stand and tell them there must have been a design fault 

with their 1/48 Fabric Harness's   ,used a set of WW2 USN on two Tamiya 1/48 Buffalo's and they went on perfectly .

Being sarcastic by the way ,😁😁

8 hours ago, king of men said:

You know, I've never understood why non-modellers refer to us as "nutters". 😳

Nor me, that's just some good old British eccentricity at it's best. I merely turned up in the traditional Martian costume as a mark of respect for you Earthlings. Melchie was just paying a penance that was three of your Earth years overdue.

Martian the Vengeful 👽

Apart from Airfix have there been any other product announcements??

Cheers

Dick

I had a good chat with the young Airfix designer who has done the Tiger Moth - his first kit! I was pleasantly surprised at the candor of his answer to my question of “Why the delay?”. I didn’t expect to hear, “ The first tool was scrapped and the tool maker changed as the tool was not up to quality and the kit wouldn’t have been to a standard. We’ve lost money, but the kit had to be right.”

I had a good look at the Tiger sprue whilst everyone else drooled over the 3D printed triangle, it’s a little lacking in fine detail on some parts but that is said by someone who has a full sized Tiggie to compare it to.  I can’t wait to get my hands on the first of what will be several.

Great day at Telford, first time in five years. First part of the day was spent in queues: Waiting to get in, waiting for the kit swap to start, and waiting very long to check out items at the kit swap. 

After that hitting the traders and yes it felt extremely busy at least up until about 1400, after that it got a lot better. Great variety of stands as always, catering to everything and everyone, loads of kits, though I found few bargains this year. 

Also one item that seemed to go quick was (polished) aluminium paint. Hard to find for some brands, my favorite Mr. Metal Color 218 was sold out everywhere before noon.

One niggle I do have was how the bag check for the competition area was handled. On previous visits it was possible to check your bags at the door but now you had to leave them at the coat check, which charged 2 pounds per item! By the time I was ready to go to the competition area I had two bags of loot and my backpack so I decided to keep my six quid and skip the competition. Shame but there you go. 

Edited by sroubos

On 9/1/2019 at 11:43 PM, Vingtor said:

Staying at the University of Wolverhampton, Telford Campus, as always, just a 20 minutes' walk away (if not driving to the international Centre).

Nils

May go to Telford next year, who do you contact to stay there that weekend and how much is it ?

16 hours ago, Whofan said:

You called .... and answer there came ! Apologies for the quality - the display models were in a xase and I suspect that's not helped.

SAM_8213

SAM_8212

Thanks for the pics.

My mum always says if I haven't got something nice to say then don't say anything.

So...............

Wasn't going to go this year, but two words changed my mind - Airfix Vulcan. Had to go and see the beastie in the flesh so to speak :)

Initial impressions were that it was a subdued show this year - went on Sunday rather than Saturday and it seemed to be a LOT less crowded.  Would be interested to hear the traders views, it certainly seemed like lots of people were looking but not buying compared to previous years.  My own thoughts are that things can best be summarised as "£15 is an impulse buy, £50 isn't... "   

Things that caught my eye were

* the Mach2 VC10 -  lovely looking aircraft but where the heck are you going to put it once built ?

* the 1/72 B-36

* the alleged "1/72" B-36 on a different stand - I know blokes sometimes exaggerate a little but it was definately 1/144  :)

* the Anigrand Aurora & the nuclear-powered bomber

* the bacon rolls - excellent as ever :)

The disappointing bits :

* queue for the gents - unheard of !  Thought I must have gotten the wrong restroom for a second.

* certain traders not even remotely interested in haggling - their loss...

To conclude - it was certainly my cheapest Telford ever....  only came away with a bottle of CA !

23 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Wasn't going to go this year, but two words changed my mind - Airfix Vulcan. Had to go and see the beastie in the flesh so to speak :)

Initial impressions were that it was a subdued show this year - went on Sunday rather than Saturday and it seemed to be a LOT less crowded.  Would be interested to hear the traders views, it certainly seemed like lots of people were looking but not buying compared to previous years.  My own thoughts are that things can best be summarised as "£15 is an impulse buy, £50 isn't... "   

* the Mach2 VC10 -  lovely looking aircraft but where the heck are you going to put it once built ?

* the 1/72 B-36

* the alleged "1/72" B-36 on a different stand - I know blokes sometimes exaggerate a little but it was definately 1/144  :)

The disappointing bits :

* queue for the gents - unheard of !  Thought I must have gotten the wrong restroom for a second.

To conclude - it was certainly my cheapest Telford ever....  only came away with a bottle of CA !

I beat you - didn't buy a single thing, must have been the first year I haven't! Was tempted by a few kits, but the stash has got so big now I haven't got much room left 😜

17 hours ago, kev67 said:

😂 all I can say really, lots of people with these under their arms being conned out of £80, will be very good for loft insulation 

I went with the intention of buying one but chose not too. The nose looked more like a trident, the engines and tail area didn't look right too but I'm not an expert. The resin prototype parts from Alan of Icelandic Fine Art look much better shaped. He is looking to abandon it due to the Mach2 kit release but I believe there's enough room in the market for both if there's enough interest. From what he told us. if he can get 10 buyers, he will probably do it, I'm one of them. The cost was quite reasonable too for such an amount of resin.

40 minutes ago, IanHx said:

* the 1/72 B-36

The disappointing bits :

Do you think your 2 statements (in bold) might be connected? 

Duncan B

13 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Do you think your 2 statements (in bold) might be connected? 

Duncan B

No, I think it's more likely the quote about what is and what isn't an impulse purchase price when it comes to small / medium size 1:72 aircraft.....

I went yesterday, first time on a Saturday. Got there at 10:30 and the queue was minimal, so i think i timed it right and just missed the rush.

It was like a bear pit inside though, although i found by the afternoon it seemed to calm down . Once again was blown away by the models on display, and once again i failed to meet anyone from BM. I did see Martian Hale but didn't twig it was him until getting home and reading through this thread... 

I went with a list of things i wanted but in time honoured tradition i ended up buying something completely different 😆 Went home with a Wingnut Ninak Post war, Zoukei Mura Raiden and some Eduard resin stuff. I didn't seem to find as many bargains as in previous years, and when i did try to haggle a bit more often than not was told no. 

That's just an observation, not a moan - Traders are entitled to charge what they like, it is after all their livelihood. 

Overall a great day, the Airfix Vulcan looked nice, and i'm looking forward to next year (When i will make more of an effort to speak to people..)

Got back an hour ago after a breakfast in Shrewsbury and then we stopped off in Telford and I went round the competition  that I missed seeing  yesterday. Mrs T and daughter had a look around a shop as I was not that long. 

Overall I had a good time, had a shopping list that I stuck with resupply and some stuff that will help with builds planned for next year. A couple of items were 'luxury' like the CMK Spitfire prototype as I am fed up with the Pegasus one and I am not going to live forever. It is also a very nice kit. Queued on Saturday from about 08.40 and in hall 3 by 9.05, which is not bad. It was busy, but I found the stands that I wanted to go to were not too bad. I have come away from our long weekend tired but happy. We have done stuff as a family as well it Scale Model World and I have come back reinvigorated after a break and seeing stuff not dissimilar to the standard I build to. 

I was there all day on Saturday and it seemed more subdued to me than previous years. I spent more money than ever, but I overheard a few disappointed traders. There seemed to be fewer traders and fewer Europeans, too, but I may be wrong. I look forward to seeing what the numbers actually were in an upcoming IPMS magazine.

Jon

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

When you see how much it costs to have a pitch at SMW you may understand why.

I think the 'B' word has had an effect, I was talking in the queue to get in to a guy from Milan, who had not booked to come over until the last minute because of uncertainty of whether anything happened on 31st October.  I presume anyone from outside from the EU would be unaffected apart from having a better currency rate. UK Modellers may have also been a bit wary about spending given what may or may not be happening. 

30 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

I was there all day on Saturday and it seemed more subdued to me than previous years. I spent more money than ever, but I overheard a few disappointed traders. There seemed to be fewer traders and fewer Europeans, too, but I may be wrong. I look forward to seeing what the numbers actually were in an upcoming IPMS magazine.

Jon

I was there on Saturday too and that was feeling I got too. I noticed that by early afternoon, the pre-ordered "yellow bags" at Hannants had almost gone whereas previous years there seemed to be huge piles still for collection. I still enjoyed it and spent a bit of money.

Jeff

Just on my way back now. I was only there 4 hours sadly but it was great to catch up with friends and see the wonderful new Vulcan.

overjoyed with that it’s perfect.

I did notice it was way quieter than previous years but that may be just because it was Sunday. 

I spent only £5 on an old Novo 1/96 Lancaster.

normally I’d have spent more but I didn’t see many bargains in fact prices seemed quite high for some items especially second hand stuff. 
maybe I’m just getting older haha.

Rob :)

I care for my brother ,was going to go last year .I had arranged a weekend respite so i could go by myself ,but i broke my wrist and could not drive so i cancelled .

Left it too late this year .

We did go to the hot house at Milton Kenyes last year ( if you were there you would know what i mean ) and the show at Ellesmere for the last three years .

I am a member of IPMS  so i can get in free ,and one year i did get him a membership ,but he doesn't like walking too much ,and if i get him to sit down and leave him he would just talk peoples ears off .

I would like to go ,just to buy stuff ,not kits ,but detailing things that the postage on them make them too expensive to buy on line .

Anyway ,just having a moan ,got a whole year to sort something out .

Thanks for listening ,not that you had any choice .HAHA .

Still in the pub just up the road as I write this. A great weekend!

It was wonderful to meet so many BM names and put faces to them finally, shame I missed a few more. 

I'm definitely looking forward to returning in a couple of years!

Ian 

Second day done! Definitely a quiet day numbers wise, but managed to look at more displays than previous years and a good long look at the competition. 

Talking to one trader he thought Saturday was OK, but sold out very quickly on his specials and should have bought more! 

Haggling worked today, Frome models had a major reduction on a lot of stuff today.  Back to Hotel and Cosford pop in tomorrow after a relaxing breakfast. 

Neil