This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

Thanks Keith. I see Master is not on the list as l always stopped at their stand for pitot tubes.

Regards

Robert

Hi chaps

I'm finally able to visit Telford again, last time was 4 years ago i think. In the past i've always gone on the Sunday, thinking it may be quieter with less hoards of people to fight through. 

Is that the case though? I've always managed to come away with some good purchases, but i do wonder if all the really good stuff goes on the saturday... 

Nick 

I used to do that, but now just wander around first and then sit down with what passes for coffee and check what I've missed.  It saves time and effort in the long run.

1 hour ago, nick32 said:

Hi chaps

I'm finally able to visit Telford again, last time was 4 years ago i think. In the past i've always gone on the Sunday, thinking it may be quieter with less hoards of people to fight through. 

Is that the case though? I've always managed to come away with some good purchases, but i do wonder if all the really good stuff goes on the saturday... 

Nick 

I reckon - crowds the same each day. A lot of  bargains gone by lunch time Saturday, but some traders, especially 2nd hand kit ones do end of show offers on stock they don't want to pack up.

I went to building society this morning. Got my pocket money out - in English notes. The ladies had to go through several tills to get my modest sum together in English paper

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Also because I might be thought of as a sad old man, I have printed off the floor plans and annotated them in a  probably vain effort to find stands of interest easily.

That's two sad old men then, as I do the same!

2 hours ago, Robert said:

I see Master is not on the list as l always stopped at their stand for pitot tubes.

Me too, so I'm pre-ordering the ones I'm likely to need next year from Hannants.

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

SH are not on the trader list, but do appear on the floor plan and index. I have  a feeling the plan and index have been updated (given that the plan plan for Hall 1 is v.4 and the others v.3), whereas the site listing has not. 

Also because I might be thought of as a sad old man, I have printed off the floor plans and annotated them in a  probably vain effort to find stands of interest easily. 

You're not the only sad old man here, I printed them off over a week ago and highlighted the people I want to go to as well!

According to my 23 year old primary school teacher daughter I am very sad. This is, off course, until she wants something doing that involves all the sad dad talents and knowledge I have acquired over the years.  I suspect some of you are familiar with this. 

4 hours ago, Robert said:

Thanks Keith. I see Master is not on the list as l always stopped at their stand for pitot tubes.

Regards

Robert

Master aren't attending, from their Facebook page I get the impression that they lost out on space to a bigger company and not happy about it.

Trader booking is on a first come first served basis. They get booking forms for the next show on the Sunday and can reserve space with a deposit  before leaving.  I don't know what the issue with Master is, but they would not have been  excluded for a bigger company. There is a waiting list for trade spaces each year and sometimes  companies  just miss out because they didn't book in time.

I am a customer of their fine products so will miss them, 

1 minute ago, Silver Fox said:

Trader booking is on a first come first served basis. They get booking forms for the next show on the Sunday and can reserve space with a deposit  before leaving.  I don't know what the issue with Master is, but they would not have been  excluded for a bigger company. There is a waiting list for trade spaces each year and sometimes  companies  just miss out because they didn't book in time.

I am a customer of their fine products so will miss them, 

Since I discovered them I have always bought from them at Telford, it's a real shame they won't be there this time.

7 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Many traders will be claiming they are offering show discounts - and many do.

I might be on the lookout for some up to date and more portable compressor equipment for airbrushing. My current set-up uses a large and very noisy garage compressor which would be nice to replace with something more modern and quiet.

I may also splash out on some RP tools.

Regarding demonstrations, they are often held at individual stands - sometimes linked to the various model magazine and book publishers. They can be quite informative. A few years ago there was a room set aside for some demos which was quite good although I don't recall a similar set up in more recent years - unless I missed it. There is so much to see at Telford that it is easy to miss a lot of what is going on.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

According to my 23 year old primary school teacher daughter I am very sad. This is, off course, until she wants something doing that involves all the sad dad talents and knowledge I have acquired over the years.  I suspect some of you are familiar with this. 

Oh so familiar. And my vet practice manager daughter is 31, so I've had 8 more years to get familiar with it! :rofl:

Keith

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh so familiar. And my vet practice manager daughter is 31, so I've had 8 more years to get familiar with it! :rofl:

Keith

You lads don't know you're born! :laugh:

I have three daughters, 30, 32 and 34.

And they are all totally convinced that no Dad is sadder than theirs...

SD (in this case SadDad)

Edited by SafetyDad
typo

13 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Many traders will be claiming they are offering show discounts - and many do.

I might be on the lookout for some up to date and more portable compressor equipment for airbrushing. My current set-up uses a large and very noisy garage compressor which would be nice to replace with something more modern and quiet.

I may also splash out on some RP tools.

Regarding demonstrations, they are often held at individual stands - sometimes linked to the various model magazine and book publishers. They can be quite informative. A few years ago there was a room set aside for some demos which was quite good although I don't recall a similar set up in more recent years - unless I missed it. There is so much to see at Telford that it is easy to miss a lot of what is going on.

Last year there was a demo table set up in hall 1 just by the entrance. There were certainly airbrushing and vac form modelling demo's that I caught over the weekend. 

12 hours ago, Ratch said:

My SIG Leader says wrist bands are being issued on Friday afternoon. How will we get in to get our wristband if we need a wristband to get it?

There are four Friday set-up wristbands per Branch or SIG and the group leader 'should' have identified (by name and membership number) the four lucky recipients of those wristbands in advance to the show organisers. If they didn't then it will be up to the group to decide who should have the four wristbands on the spot (but each person will still need to sign for their 'band). The wristbands will be issued in the rear lobby area. Make sure you have your IPMS membership card handy too!

No-one else from that group gets in on Friday, no matter how important you might think it is to help the set-up crew, or because you're carrying some 'vital' component of the group's display stand :).

I believe other IPMS members can pick up their weekend wristband on Friday afternoon to avoid the rush on Saturday but will not be granted access to the halls.

The wristbands are colour-coded and the colours change each year - just 'cos it was 'gold' last year doesn't mean it will be this year.

Regards,

John

Edited by John Tapsell

1 hour ago, John Tapsell said:

I believe other IPMS members can pick up their weekend wristband on Friday afternoon to avoid the rush on Saturday but will not be granted access to the halls.

That is a sensible and welcome arrangement. Thanks

Terry

Thursday night......

cameras charged......phone charged......bags packed......model show clothes ironed.......car filled with petrol......sarnies wrapped in foil......fistful of English bank notes......shopping list written......traders located on floor plan.......nails done......hair done.......bikini waxed.......

Yep...I think I am all but ready for the 300 miles drive south.

Does anyone remember if the International Centre is warm or cold so that I know how many layers to wear when I finally get in? I forget what it is like and there is nothing worse than a model show that is akin to a sauna!

45 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

Thursday night......

cameras charged......phone charged......bags packed......model show clothes ironed.......car filled with petrol......sarnies wrapped in foil......fistful of English bank notes......shopping list written......traders located on floor plan.......nails done......hair done.......bikini waxed.......

Does anyone remember if the International Centre is warm or cold so that I know how many layers to wear when I finally get in? I forget what it is like and there is nothing worse than a model show that is akin to a sauna!

I'm with you, Gordon :). My first time and I feel like when I was a child on the night before Christmas :). MRs RidgeRunner is still apprehensive, though, and thinks she'll seek out some shopping? We'll see. We are staying in Ironbridge, at the Best Western Valley Hotel snd so hope that'll be okay. At least it seems picturesque there (am I deluded?). I'm looking forward to meeting many of you on Saturday :). We are driving up on Saturday morning and going straight to the show. See you there!

Martin

10 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you on Saturday

Don't forget to come and say hi Martin. Dorset IPMS (Poole Vikings) in Hall 2. The two Mustangs are finished (Italian AF and Swedish AF), along with a couple of other new builds plus a handful of existing.

Terry

5 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Don't forget to come and say hi Martin. Dorset IPMS (Poole Vikings) in Hall 2. The two Mustangs are finished (Italian AF and Swedish AF), along with a couple of other new builds plus a handful of existing.

Terry

Definetly, Terry :)

1 hour ago, Gordon J said:

Thursday night......

Have you checked the weather forecast?

Currently the Met Office forecast for Telford 0900 Saturday is 1oC, 90% rain. _ I do hope the queue isn't as long as last year. 🙁

53 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Have you checked the weather forecast?

Currently the Met Office forecast for Telford 0900 Saturday is 1oC, 90% rain. _ I do hope the queue isn't as long as last year. 🙁

I did check the weather. Dry and sunny and cold on Friday. Raining Saturday. I am hoping we get in before it comes on and goes off before I have to drive back up.