As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

I used to live 45 minutes from Telford so it was an easy trip. This is my second year with a slightly longer commute from Washington DC, I arrive in the UK on Thursday and am.back in DC Monday! I'll be helping on the Affinity Models stand (opposite Hannants, come and say hi), doing some judging and seeing friends i.haven't seen since last Telford.

Leighton

On 11/1/2019 at 6:35 PM, PhoenixII said:

Hi Mikey,

if your an IPMS member, it's worth sitting in traffic for ten to fifteen minutes as you'll be closer to the front of the queue, unless your part of a 'set-up' crew, in which case have words with your club secretary about the what's and whyfor's.

The line for members will clear fairly quickly, I would suggest be in and parked by 10:15 - 10:30 you should be clearing the admission desks by 10:40.

Cash paying customers?????

Cheers @PhoenixII

I'm not a member of the IPMS unfortunately, but it does sound like it will be a busy show. I know the area pretty well any ways, so parking shouldn't be a problem as there are plenty of parking lots near to the ICC. :)

Quite looking forward to it too, particularly speaking to the rep from Mikr Mir. Hopefully they've remembered to bring the Beverley starboard engine sprue I've asked for since July :).

And yes, I will be a cash on the door....infact my good lady has offered to pay for the tickets as an early birthday prezzie......Yesd, you read that correctly....my significant other is actively encouraging me to go to the show :).

Out of interest, will Britmodeller has a stand at the show as well?    

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

And yes, I will be a cash on the door....infact my good lady has offered to pay for the tickets as an early birthday prezzie......Yesd, you read that correctly....my significant other is actively encouraging me to go to the show :).

I would interpret that as not only go to the show but spend some money whilst you're there, otherwise what's the point!!??

Jeff

Agreed about delaying leaving the motorway.  I avoid the central block and park in Brown Elm, which  I used to know as Southwold.  This is a short walk among restaurants on the same side of the main road as the show.  All open air, so if you happen to like driving around multi-storey car parks then no good for you.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, keefr22 said:

That's not just a Telford problem, although it sometimes is an indirect cause - I've often had Scottish notes in my Kit Swap payout, and the number of shops (including some big supermarkets) locally that initially refuse to take them is really surprising. Most are fine when you point out they're completely legal tender although I did once have to wait when a cashier had to call her supervisor to check! And one small shop flatly refused to take one, so rather than argue I gave them an 'English' one and spent the Scottish one in the next shop I went to! Rarely seem to get Scottish notes other than at Telford! :)

Keith

I'm Dutch and I can tell you the situation is even more incomprehensible as a foreigner. I worked in Aberdeen for a while and got some notes which I tried to spend in London on a weekend break and had real problems getting rid of them. 'Why do you Brits A) have different notes in different parts of the same country and B ) refuse to accept said notes on a seemingly arbitrary basis?' Of course most foreigners are pretty confused by the whole concept of 'the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland' in the first place so that doesn't help. Personally, it adds to the charm of the place for me, I miss living there :( Certainly made coming to Telford a whole lot easier! 

2 hours ago, sroubos said:

...............Why do you Brits A) have different notes in different parts of the same country and B ) refuse to accept said notes on a seemingly arbitrary basis?' Of course most foreigners are pretty confused by the whole concept of 'the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland' in the first place so that doesn't help. Personally, it adds to the charm of the place for me, I miss living there :( Certainly made coming to Telford a whole lot easier! 

Afternoon @sroubos quick currency / history lesson! England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland 'share' a common currency, the £. English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish coins are 'struck' by the Royal Mint, (in Wales) who also manufacture coinage for quite a few Countries around the Globe. The reason that the Welsh and Northern Irish don't issue their own notes is because both of these Countries were conquered, Scotland remains a Soverign Nation. The Scot's, as well as using 'English' notes and coins, have three banks, Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank and Royal Bank of Scotland who are authorised to issue notes on behalf of the Scottish state, I believe it goes back to either the succession to the English throne of James the Sixth of Scotland / James the First of England in 1603, or, the Act of Union of 1707.

The reason that Scottish notes are refused is purely down to bad staff training by employers, they ARE legal tender throughout the UK.

Used to be, when retailers used the banks on a daily basis in England, Wales and Northern Ireland any Scottish notes were separated for each of the issuing banks, and returned to Scotland, similar was done in Scotland, the English notes coming South. Now, The Channel Islands, Gibraltar and Isle of Man also issue their own currency (coinage struck by the Royal Mint!) however, this currency, both coin and notes are NOT legal tender outside of the state of issue, but they will happily accept coins and notes issued in the UK.

If you are lucky enough to visit Eire (Republic of Ireland) the folks there have it sorted, they'll be happy to exchange 1 euro for £1 all day long!!

One small correction, it's either, Great Britain and Northern Ireland OR the UK, which includes Northern Ireland.

HTH??!!!!!

Paul

P.S. Should anybody be suffering from brain fade after the above, I'll be in Hall 3 this coming weekend, and I'll be happy to give anybody an exchange rate of two Scottish notes for one English note of similar face value.....:whistle:  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

P.S. Should anybody be suffering from brain fade after the above, I'll be in Hall 3 this coming weekend, and I'll be happy to give anybody an exchange rate of two Scottish notes for one English note of similar face value.....:whistle:  :wicked:

Oh good, I have some English £3 pound notes I need to shift.

Does anyone remember if any traders accept Euros? I have 30 Euros left over from a recent trip to Spain, more interested in paint and tools really.

Cheers, Steve.

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

The reason that the Welsh and Northern Irish don't issue their own notes is because both of these Countries were conquered,

Excuse me!

Northern Ireland has been issuing its own notes (and used to have its own coinage) since its founding in 1922. Irish* banks had been issuing bank notes shortly after the Scots invented them in about 1707. * When all of Ireland was part of a UK

The reason Irish £, and then N.I. £, notes were not accepted on face value was that in the 19th century the Irish £ was actually only worth 19 shillings English (a political reason) and this idea persists today.

Currently we have, afair,  4 N.I. banks issuing £ sterling bank notes, which will drop to 3 banks next April

Our banks were the first in the UK to issue polymer (aka plastic) notes

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

The reason that Scottish notes are refused is purely down to bad staff training by employers, they ARE legal tender throughout the UK.

Scottish notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland. They are legal currency though. 

https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

My first Telford is approaching, albeit just for 1 day.

Can anyone enlighten me on the must-see stands?

Do traders offer special discounts there? (Irrespective of scottish/english notes 😊)

On 03/10/2019 at 08:18, SafetyDad said:

Sadly I don't think there is an option for you to do this on their website. Like you, I've returned to the site and to where I reserved my kit (at the foot of the Old Man's Blog No 104). The form there only gives the option to reserve the Hs129 (but I'm sure you know that :sad:).

You could try emailing ZM to see if they anticipate bringing stock with them to Telford? Also I've bought ZM 1/32 stuff from Radu Brinzan's site before (within the EU so no customs charges) but he doesn't seem to have the 1/72 Ho229 listed at the moment. 

Sorry I can't be of more help. Queuing at the ZM booth can be a bit of an epic undertaking, especially without a guarantee of success. Ask me how I know!! 

SD 

Following a somewhat amusing email chain where despite my putting Horten No 229 in 1/72 prominently, and Zoukei Myra responding that they would have Ki 45 kits on sale, their penny dropped and I received an email today confirming that had reserved a Horten Ho 229 for me.

I must buy it before 1pm on Saturday otherwise reservation will be lost!

Thanks for help in giving me the impetus i n getting this organised.

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have a Guernsey £10 if anyone is interested ;)

3 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

The reason that the Welsh and Northern Irish don't issue their own notes is because both of these Countries were conquered,

Eh? 

"The last Welsh banknotes were withdrawn in 1908 upon the closure of the last Welsh bank, the North and South Wales Bank." Wiki

Don't recall us being 'conquered' since then.....!!

And

Scotland remains a Soverign Nation.

"The Kingdom of Scotland emerged as an independent sovereign state in the European Early Middle Ages and continued to exist until 1707. ... The union also created a new Parliament of Great Britain, which succeeded both the Parliament of Scotland and the Parliament of England."

"Although the UK is a unitary sovereign state, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales have gained a degree of autonomy through the process of devolution. ... England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales are not themselves listed in the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) list of countries." Wiki again

This is actually a very interesting (& fairly complicated!) topic, and a couple of minutes googling could easily turn into a few hours reading!!

Keith :)

HTH??!!!!!

Paul

This is the best thing I've read in a while and just underlines why this forum is the best place on the internet. Thanks so much Paul :)

Oh yeah and major facepalm moment for mixing up the UK and Great Britain and Northern Ireland 😖

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Do traders offer special discounts there? (Irrespective of scottish/english notes 😊)

There may be others, but I know that Hannants and Brengun/Hauler both have special deals, but you need to order from their websites first, and collect at the show. Hannant's have quite a few hoops to jump through, so make sure that you follow the instructions on their website if you decide to buy from them.

Have a look at the list of traders on the IPMS UK website, and follow the links to the traders' websites to see what's on offer.

3 hours ago, Rob G said:

There may be others, but I know that Hannants and Brengun/Hauler both have special deals, but you need to order from their websites first, and collect at the show. Hannant's have quite a few hoops to jump through, so make sure that you follow the instructions on their website if you decide to buy from them.

Have a look at the list of traders on the IPMS UK website, and follow the links to the traders' websites to see what's on offer.

Brilliant thanks rob 🙏 

15 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I remember the first time someone handed me a $2 bill when I worked at Mildenhall - I handed it straight back, saying "Yeah, yeah, very funny" or words to that effect...

13 hours ago, Dansk said:

Don't get too excited but last year first thing on Saturday WNW had a small stock of kits with water damaged boxes at, I believe but stand to be corrected, half price :fingerscrossed:. Not surprisingly, these sold very quickly!

May not happen this year however

SD

13 hours ago, Whofan said:

Following a somewhat amusing email chain where despite my putting Horten No 229 in 1/72 prominently, and Zoukei Myra responding that they would have Ki 45 kits on sale, their penny dropped and I received an email today confirming that had reserved a Horten Ho 229 for me.

I must buy it before 1pm on Saturday otherwise reservation will be lost!

Thanks for help in giving me the impetus i n getting this organised.

Excellent! My pleasure

SD

Edited by SafetyDad

13 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

It's this week :penguin::thumbsup:.

OMG, OMG, OMG.

If anyone feels like a chat I will be hovering around the Bolton IPMS table or the Training Aircraft SIG.

Hi Lemur, now if you have time for a chat how about giving me a hand to set up the Manchester stand as my mutinous dogs are all coming on Saturday leaving me to do it all on Friday afternoon ?

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I remember the first time someone handed me a $2 bill when I worked at Mildenhall - I handed it straight back, saying "Yeah, yeah, very funny" or words to that effect...

I don't know when that was but I guess it is around the time when a $$ was worth around 42p (Oct 1980). I went to the 'States then for a three week base tour and the rate was $2.38=£1. It was great! ;)

M