This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

Every year I have been to Telford I have spent the day prior to my trip down from Scotland going round the bookies asking them nicely if they have any Bank of England bank notes they could give me. It's just in case the traders take the hump about getting any 'foreign' Scottish bank notes.

17 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

Every year I have been to Telford I have spent the day prior to my trip down from Scotland going round the bookies asking them nicely if they have any Bank of England bank notes they could give me. It's just in case the traders take the hump about getting any 'foreign' Scottish bank notes.

I thought bookies took money from you! :doh:

So Scottish bookies give you money eh? If you ask nicely? :nod:

A trip to Ayrshire might be on the cards... :laugh:

SD

Since its most definitely my neck of the woods these days I'll be popping over though probably at lunchtime or thereabouts. The queue that became The Great Wall of Modeller last year put me off the idea of an early bird start even with the IPMS card. This year I'll keep my mitts warm and take the lazy option. Most of the things I'm on the hunt for haven't been released yet so this year it'll be more of a nosey and a curiosity satisfaction trip as well as a chance to see if any of the outstanding builds that usually grace the tables can kick me into moving forward with my own!

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

A couple of years ago we stayed in Wellington (just outside Telford proper) and we had an excellent meal here...

https://spicelandrestaurant.com/

Its on Market Street, near the centre of Wellington. From memory Wellington centre is about 10 minutes drive from the Telford Centre.

Great place! Good food and good service. The Norwegian contingent has met there for curry on Friday night, the last five years I think. It seems to be a popular place, so you might wish to book a table in advance.

Nils

It's funny how some things don't change over the years - here I am, sat cleaning up some seams and attaching items to substantially complete an airframe, and dipping in and out of the forum as I do so. Reading on from my earlier post in this thread, a memory suddenly surfaced...

....I attended my first IPMS Nationals (as it was called back then) in 1982, and whilst travelling at up the M1 at 70mph in the confined space that was the back seat of Farnborough's then Branch Secretary's Capri, I was glueing folded rotor blades onto the Fujimi US Navy Sea King that was to become my first ever competition entry!

Yes, I finished it en route, but, no, it didn't win anything...

....and the airframe I'm currently working on, almost exactly 37 years later? A Fujimi US Navy Sea King...

Edited by andyf117

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Yes, I finished it en route, but, no, it didn't win anything...

Nice one! My first entry a few years back was finished in the hotel room on the Friday night ......... I didn't win anything either!

Terry

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice one! My first entry a few years back was finished in the hotel room on the Friday night ......... I didn't win anything either!

I did that too, at the 1991 Peterborough event! IPMS provided me (and my wife at the time) with a room in the hotel attached to the venue - on the Friday night I suddenly realised that my hastily-finished Lancaster B.X was devoid of exhaust staining on the wing upper surfaces...

....my wife suggested using some of her mascara, and supplied a make-up brush with which to apply it - and took great delight in reminding me afterwards that she'd helped me win the Bomber Command Trophy! :laugh:

Edited by andyf117

15 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

I thought bookies took money from you! :doh:

So Scottish bookies give you money eh? If you ask nicely? :nod:

A trip to Ayrshire might be on the cards... :laugh:

SD

Obviously they don't just hand over money free of charge. I wish they did.

In order to get an English note I have to give them a Scottish one. 😐

4 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

Well, there's my Scottish trip cancelled!

SD

23 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

How much do they charge for the labour involved?

Plus the currency conversion fee, of course.... :whistle:

On 10/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, Stephen said:

What would be really nice would be if traders would take Scottish bank notes without any argument as has happened on occasion at Telford. It's not all traders and not widespread but there have been instances.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:32 PM, Eric Mc said:

I ran into trouble with a Northern Ireland banknote at Greenham Common in 1976.

Gent's, IF their going spare, I'll take ALL donations.....whatever the currency!!

On 10/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

I take it you noticed the one at our hovel?

Frank, didn't even know there was one! Got to get out at some point....though the view from up amongs't the girders is quite unusual!!!

9 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Frank, didn't even know there was one! Got to get out at some point....though the view from up amongs't the girders is quite unusual!!!

To the left of the petrol station door.

Looking forward to the weekend at Telford on the West Middlesex club stand, currently frantically trying to finish a couple of models for the show (scratch building rigging and ariels for my sin LOL)

Look forward to seeing you all there, ill be wearing a britmodeller badge along with the IPMS one on a multicoloured lanyard.

All the best Chris

I missed Telford due to an extreme cash flow crisis last year but now I have a job and just got a handy overpaid income tax refund - perfect timing!

Despite not having been much of a presence on BM this year for various reasons I'd like to catch up with y'all, so I will be at the meeting on Saturday at 1 - did we decide where we are meeting? (sorry if this has already been said!)

4 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Saturday at 1 - did we decide where we are meeting?

Perdu’s Birmingham stand as usual! :) 

45 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

I missed Telford due to an extreme cash flow crisis last year but now I have a job and just got a handy overpaid income tax refund - perfect timing!

How do other BM folk fund their annual buying spree that SMW turns into? 

For many years now I’ve had a piggy bank (it’s a large plastic storage box actually) into which every night I put all my loose change, some nights it’s pennies, some nights it’s pounds, but generally it’s not missed in the scheme of things even,  for me as a pensioner. In the weeks before SMW I sort, count and bag all the coins before going to the bank to turn it into notes.

I attend SMW with a full wallet of ‘guilt free’ cash and as such I don’t suffer from the ‘should I buy it, can I afford it?’ voice in my head..

How much are those Kiwis asking for the O-400 and Lancaster again? And will there be room in the car’s boots for both?

9 hours ago, Aeronut said:

How do other BM folk fund their annual buying spree that SMW turns into? 

For many years now I’ve had a piggy bank (it’s a large plastic storage box actually) into which every night I put all my loose change, some nights it’s pennies, some nights it’s pounds, but generally it’s not missed in the scheme of things even,  for me as a pensioner. In the weeks before SMW I sort, count and bag all the coins before going to the bank to turn it into notes.

I attend SMW with a full wallet of ‘guilt free’ cash and as such I don’t suffer from the ‘should I buy it, can I afford it?’ voice in my head..

How much are those Kiwis asking for the O-400 and Lancaster again? And will there be room in the car’s boots for both?

I'm doing something similar to you. I'm also retired, but in my 50s. It's much easier to regularly set aside cash each month (so that it's not really a chore) but it mounts up! It's also rather enjoyable, adding to the anticipation. When November comes around then it's, as you say, 'guilt free' :like: (nice expression that!). 

SD

I do something similar and have done for years. I save twenty pence pieces and over the year it mounts up. I also put a regular amount of spare cash aside. I tend not to buy that many kits as the stash is too big, but decals, books, paints etc will come back with me. 

I'm aiming to attend the show this year...FINALLY! Despite only living a 30 minute drive away too!

Plus its my pre-birthday weekender, so planning on treating myself whilst I'm there :)

By the sounds of it, early doors entry sounds like it's a nightmare there.....Is there an ideal time to get there on the Saturday? Thinking around 11am ish..

Guilt? Wassat then? I sweat for my money, it's mine and I'll spend it on whatever I want. Plastic models, steak dinners or airline tickets to exotic places (such as Telford) 🏝️ (I was looking for a hula girl, but it appears not).

That said, I'm not planning any major expenditure at SMW for this, my first visit. I will be buying some things, but getting great piles of plastic home to the Antipodes would be an expensive venture, and I do have other uses for MY money. I have no issues with spending it here at home however. :)

Right folks. Info for first timers. If you're approaching on the M54, Ignore the signs that tell you leave at Exit 4. Continue to exit 5 and come in that way.

Google maps will show you where to go. You will have the options to park in Cherry Pink car park, or if you miss it, turn right at the next roundabout and there is another multi story on the left. You can see TIC from the roundabout or Cherry Pink. Avoid the queues, £3 all day saturday £1 sunday. Use the map on post # 230 if in doubt.

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You will have the options to park in Cherry Pink car park

What I would add to Bentwaters post is that unless you get to the Cherry Pink car park early, I would advise you to go to the top floor entrance rather than the ground floor. Bizarrely, you don't seem to be able to drive directly from the ground floor to the upper floors unless you exit the car park and then go back in – this time taking the left hand entrance rather than straight on.

I arrived not long after 9am last year and it was chaos on the ground floor as it was already full and yet the barrier was still letting cars in. There was plenty of space on the upper floors.

Telford+Parking.png

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

I'm aiming to attend the show this year...FINALLY! Despite only living a 30 minute drive away too!

Plus its my pre-birthday weekender, so planning on treating myself whilst I'm there :)

By the sounds of it, early doors entry sounds like it's a nightmare there.....Is there an ideal time to get there on the Saturday? Thinking around 11am ish..

Hi Mikey,

if your an IPMS member, it's worth sitting in traffic for ten to fifteen minutes as you'll be closer to the front of the queue, unless your part of a 'set-up' crew, in which case have words with your club secretary about the what's and whyfor's.

The line for members will clear fairly quickly, I would suggest be in and parked by 10:15 - 10:30 you should be clearing the admission desks by 10:40.

Cash paying customers?????

20 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Right folks. Info for first timers. If you're approaching on the M54, Ignore the signs that tell you leave at Exit 4. Continue to exit 5 and come in that way.

Google maps will show you where to go. You will have the options to park in Cherry Pink car park, or if you miss it, turn right at the next roundabout and there is another multi story on the left. You can see TIC from the roundabout or Cherry Pink. Avoid the queues, £3 all day saturday £1 sunday. Use the map on post # 230 if in doubt.

Ooooh noooo! You're giving away secrets here!! :doh:

More seriously, definately +1 from me.

Some years ago I did follow the yellow AA signs for the International Centre and parked there. Then about 5 years ago it was chaos! Huge queues and loads of problems. That year I turned around and found Telford Center and the Pink Car Park by good navigation/good luck. It's easily one of the better placed to park and just across the road. 

17 hours ago, Gorby said:

What I would add to Bentwaters post is that unless you get to the Cherry Pink car park early, I would advise you to go to the top floor entrance rather than the ground floor. Bizarrely, you don't seem to be able to drive directly from the ground floor to the upper floors unless you exit the car park and then go back in – this time taking the left hand entrance rather than straight on.

I arrived not long after 9am last year and it was chaos on the ground floor as it was already full and yet the barrier was still letting cars in. There was plenty of space on the upper floors.

Telford+Parking.png

I didn't know this, so thanks Gorby. I tend to arrive just after 8am, and have always got parked on the ground floor here, but I've noticed that it does fill up quickly in the time it takes me to grab a quick coffee and lock up the car. Good tip - logged away!  :like:

SD