Telford 2019

essentially, the bigger the trader the more likely they take cards, eg Hannants do, smaller dealers prefer cash. I prefer to spend cash, sometimes I can get an extra wee bit of discount

• Thanks 1
On 10/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, Gordon J said:

Great to have the floor plans up and like Perdu said it is 'time to plan progress round the event.'

That said I have still had moments at Telford where I have seen a model and not bought it, then later in the day decided to go back and get it only to have that 'what hall was that guy that had that kit that I saw earlier in' moment.

And then being singulalrly unable to find the trader or kit despite having a floor plan in my hand, a compass, a map, a torch, some rope, two sherpas and a donkey in tow!! 😕

And even if you do find him it's been sold, happens to me all the time.

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

For Telford, do most traders take credit cards these days, or is it advisable to bring some cash?

Of course if you intend to take the Kit Swap route :tmi: then cash is essential!

On the wider subject of obtaining cash at Telford, the IPMS website mentions that, while there is a cash dispenser in the foyer of the International Centre, this can run out of cash over the show. I would add, if this were to happen and you needed more spondoolicks, that there is a multi-story car park a short walk across from the International Centre (The Cherry Pink park over the road where there are traffic lights) that has ramp access to Telford shopping centre. The map here https://www.telfordcentre.com/visit/centre-map/ shows that there 8 banks/building societies in the centre, so cash machines should accompany at least some of these :like:

SD

• Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There is an ATM on site.

Word to the wise, DON'T use the cash point on the main concourse, you WILL get charged for the privilege. As @SafetyDad has said, take a gentle walk over to the shopping centre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding traders and cash and credit cards, as has been said, most of the larger operators will accept cards. However, even those who do take cards can run into trouble regarding getting a signal on their card machines. This seems to be dependent on where they are situated within the building. Hopefully, this should have been resolved by now but it has been a problem in the past.

And has had been said, there is a cash machine in the entrance lobby of the International Centre. However, it is a charge machine and it does tend to run out of cash quite early in the weekend. I wonder why :)

The shopping centre has plenty of free cash machines if you don't mind a five minute walk.

• Thanks 1

What would be really nice would be if traders would take Scottish bank notes without any argument as has happened on occasion at Telford. It's not all traders and not widespread but there have been instances.

Edited by Stephen
  • Sad 1
42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What would be really nice would be if traders would take Scottish bank notes without any argument as has happened on occasion at Telford. It's not all traders and not widespread but there have been instances.

That's not just a Telford problem, although it sometimes is an indirect cause - I've often had Scottish notes in my Kit Swap payout, and the number of shops (including some big supermarkets) locally that initially refuse to take them is really surprising. Most are fine when you point out they're completely legal tender although I did once have to wait when a cashier had to call her supervisor to check! And one small shop flatly refused to take one, so rather than argue I gave them an 'English' one and spent the Scottish one in the next shop I went to! Rarely seem to get Scottish notes other than at Telford! :)

Keith

The ATM. as has already been said, plus at times it limits how much can be extracted. Last time I used it it limited withdrawals to no more than £50.

stuff Scottish notes, :P  I wish they'd take N.I. bank notes. I bring a load of ready-spend dosh and get it from my B/S. I get English notes but it takes a few days to get enough of them!

I was once held 'hostage' in a chip shop in Portsmouth, whilst my son went to try and get an English note to pay for our meal cos the shop wouldn't take any Scots or N.I. notes

~~ Check, but afaik Hannants says they take all notes, including discontinued ones, and I think they'll take Euros as well. 

I do not know this for certain, just a mate told me he'd seen it on Hannants newssheet or some thing ~~~

7 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Word to the wise, DON'T use the cash point on the main concourse, you WILL get charged for the privilege. As @SafetyDad has said, take a gentle walk over to the shopping centre.

I take it you noticed the one at our hovel?

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

For Telford, do most traders take credit cards these days, or is it advisable to bring some cash?

Also for what it it's worth, some of the European based traders have been know to accept Euro's in the past so if anyone happens to have a few €€€ left over from that their last trip to Euro-land it may be an option to have in the back pocket.

On 27/10/2019 at 09:57, RidgeRunner said:

Did you decide, Wez?

I had the decision made for me, family stuff will be happening that weekend instead.

Edited by Wez
On 27/10/2019 at 09:57, RidgeRunner said:

Did you decide, Wez?

Duplicate post !!! :angry:

Edited by Wez

If you are an IPMS member, present your card either Friday afternoon between 15:00 and 19:00 (avoid the first hour as the set up guys will be booking in)

at the back door behind reception, you'll see the queues, Or Saturday between 08:00 and 08:45 (don't leave it to the last minute) OR queue at the main entrance, doors open for Members at 09:00, and wristbands will be available then. If you are NOT an IPMS member, you cannot obtain entry until 10:00 Saturday.

58 minutes ago, Harrywilliams said:

What's the score with the wristbands? Never been before but heard as a entree you'll need to get them on the Friday? 

Harry 

IPMS Members and traders are issued with wristbands rather than tickets. General public visitors (non-IPMS) get a standard ticket.

IPMS wristbands can be obtained on Friday afternoon near the rear entrance as Bentwaters mentioned. However, only those IPMS members entitled to set-up wristbands will actually get into the exhibition halls on Friday afternoon. The standard IPMS wristbands are valid on Saturday and Sunday only (so you can collect them on Friday if that works for you, but not use them until Saturday).

IPMS members who queue at the front entrance on Saturday and/or Sunday morning will be able to pick up their wristbands whilst they wait for the doors to open at 0900.

Regards,

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, John Tapsell said:

IPMS Members and traders are issued with wristbands rather than tickets. General public visitors (non-IPMS) get a standard ticket.

IPMS wristbands can be obtained on Friday afternoon near the rear entrance as Bentwaters mentioned. However, only those IPMS members entitled to set-up wristbands will actually get into the exhibition halls on Friday afternoon. The standard IPMS wristbands are valid on Saturday and Sunday only (so you can collect them on Friday if that works for you, but not use them until Saturday).

IPMS members who queue at the front entrance on Saturday and/or Sunday morning will be able to pick up their wristbands whilst they wait for the doors to open at 0900.

Regards,

John

Perfect, thanks for cleaning that up for me John 👍

Harry

16 hours ago, murfv said:

Also for what it it's worth, some of the European based traders have been know to accept Euro's in the past so if anyone happens to have a few €€€ left over from that their last trip to Euro-land it may be an option to have in the back pocket.

Ditto with US$$$$ for traders over from the states.

Hello all

A very good buddy of mine is attending this year for the first time in ages, he's after recommendations for a good curry on the Friday night, he's staying at the P.I. in Telford but doesn't mind grabbing a taxi if required.

Any help will be gratefully received

RR

2 hours ago, Roof Rat said:

Hello all

A very good buddy of mine is attending this year for the first time in ages, he's after recommendations for a good curry on the Friday night, he's staying at the P.I. in Telford but doesn't mind grabbing a taxi if required.

Any help will be gratefully received

RR

A couple of years ago we stayed in Wellington (just outside Telford proper) and we had an excellent meal here...

https://spicelandrestaurant.com/

Its on Market Street, near the centre of Wellington. From memory Wellington centre is about 10 minutes drive from the Telford Centre.

HTH

Terry

• Like 1