This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

Telford 2019

Hi all, 

I might - just might- be able to get away and spend a day at Telford this year. My first time.  Before I spend the cash and make arrangements I thought I'd ask if any of my "regulars", or others of course, are going to be there? I'd love to put some faces to names :). also, can anyone suggest good boarding? 

@Wez @Terry1954 @71chally @John R @stevej60 @Retired Bob @Courageous @russ c @Sabrejet And many more

Thanks.

MartIn

Edited by RidgeRunner

Hi Martin.I've never been but Dave (Spadad) has been asking me to pop down and attend so I'm trying my best to make it this year.

If you do, and I do, i'll look you up, mate.

Martin

9 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

are going to be there

I'll be there Martin, both days (and Friday for set up). You can find me on the Poole Vikings (Dorset IPMS) stand. I'm staying at the International Hotel right next to the Telford Centre where the show is. I'm also planning to go to Cosford on the Monday.

Hope to see you there!

Terry

29 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

My first time.

You'll be totally over whelmed with everything, you'll be like a 'kiddie in a sweet shop'.

I'm also there for both days. You can find me on the IPMS West Suffolk stand. I'm staying in the same hotel as Terry.

Sorry, no suggestions as to a hotel.

Stuart

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

I might - just might- be able to get away and spend a day at Telford this year.

I have not been for quite a few years, and I'm too old to drive there and back in one day like I did last time. :whistle: With Cosford not that far away it's only polite to go there as well so I'm thinking of a whole weekend to have time to enjoy the whole experience, just have to see what's on offer at local hotels.

It will be my 21st, or 22nd trip to Telford in a row. It's in my neighborhood, though, just a short flight from Norway (via London).

Staying at the University of Wolverhampton, Telford Campus, as always, just a 20 minutes' walk away (if not driving to the international Centre).

Nils

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

You'll be totally over whelmed with everything, you'll be like a 'kiddie in a sweet shop'.

I'm also there for both days. You can find me on the IPMS West Suffolk stand. I'm staying in the same hotel as Terry.

Sorry, no suggestions as to a hotel.

Stuart

I will look forward to seeing you, Stuart. Assuming I go ;).

M

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have not been for quite a few years, and I'm too old to drive there and back in one day like I did last time. :whistle: With Cosford not that far away it's only polite to go there as well so I'm thinking of a whole weekend to have time to enjoy the whole experience, just have to see what's on offer at local hotels.

Well, I will look forward, too, to meeting you, Bob.

7 hours ago, Vingtor said:

It will be my 21st, or 22nd trip to Telford in a row. It's in my neighborhood, though, just a short flight from Norway (via London).

Staying at the University of Wolverhampton, Telford Campus, as always, just a 20 minutes' walk away (if not driving to the international Centre).

Nils

Likewise, Nils. :)

@Stew Dapple, @CedB, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird and myself shall visit. Fortunately Stew and I won't have a trade stand to worry about this year! :D (I'm absolutely over the moon not to be trading 🤩 - I'm genuinely so happy. It's such a bloody chore and always a dread)

It would certainly be good to catch up! :)

Im there for the weekend on the West Middlesex stand, along with Panzer Vor, set up on friday, displaying sat sun, look forward to putting faces to names.

All the best Chris

12 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm absolutely over the moon not to be trading 🤩 - I'm genuinely so happy. It's such a bloody chore and always a dread

Eh! and I thought it was sooo nice to meet your customers face to face. :shrug:

Just now, Retired Bob said:

Eh! and I thought it was sooo nice to meet your customers face to face. :shrug:

When you have to work frantically every night for 4 weeks ahead of the show around a full time other career preparing stock, pack a running business in to a van, drive a van for 9 hours to the English midlands, carry it all into a hall and set everything up on Friday, stand in the same spot on a concrete floor for 2 days solid not eating or drinking properly, then frantically tear it all down after everyone else has been kicked out, carry it all back to the van, drive 9 hours back, unpack a van, return van, go back to day job then spent the next week of nights working out what's been stolen and trying to find everything because it's still a live business and you need it now then shows aren't much fun.

We all try to act like we're happy to be there. I dare say some traders probably do enjoy shows, but I never have and I know I'm not alone.

9 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

When you have to work frantically every night for 4 weeks ahead of the show around a full time other career preparing stock, pack a running business in to a van, drive a van for 9 hours to the English midlands, carry it all into a hall and set everything up on Friday, stand in the same spot on a concrete floor for 2 days solid not eating or drinking properly, then frantically tear it all down after everyone else has been kicked out, carry it all back to the van, drive 9 hours back, unpack a van, return van, go back to day job then spent the next week of nights working out what's been stolen and trying to find everything because it's still a live business and you need it now then shows aren't much fun.

When you put it like that.....you do know I was only joking, nothing worse than having to deal with the ungrateful Joe Public.  I always tried to keep my contact to the minimum.

20 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

@Stew Dapple, @CedB, @Procopius, @Cookenbacher, @Navy Bird and myself shall visit. Fortunately Stew and I won't have a trade stand to worry about this year! :D (I'm absolutely over the moon not to be trading 🤩 - I'm genuinely so happy. It's such a bloody chore and always a dread)

I'm pleased to report that for a very small finder's fee, Cookie and I will make Navy Bird available for autographs or (for an additional sum) posed photos. 

On 01/09/2019 at 22:18, Terry1954 said:

I'm also planning to go to Cosford on the Monday.

Well, if I miss you on the stand, I’ll try and catch you there!

Best Beloved and I will visiting the show on both days. 2018 was our first visit and we enjoyed it so much we decided to do it all again this year! 

Is is there an official BM meet-up point, or shall we just bimble about hoping to recognise each other? :D

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Is is there an official BM meet-up point, or shall we just bimble about hoping to recognise each other? :D

a good point! I dont know any of the BM group by sight! :(

If we all bimble about, we should be recognisable, nyet?

With Best Beloved not being terribly spry these days, I expect I’ll be bimbling in ever decreasing circles anyway.

Was thinking of giving Telford a miss this year but after reading this thread I have just buckled and decided to go.

Wonder what reveals there will be this year. 2018 was a bit of an epic for new releases.

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Is is there an official BM meet-up point, or shall we just bimble about hoping to recognise each other?

Last year @perdu and I managed to establish a meet point between our two club stands, that happened to be almost opposite each other. A sort of hi-noon of BM'ers! We should probably wait to see the published floor plan for this year to check the layouts, and set up a suggested time and place. I met so many people who I had met on here, but never face to face, and I hope to repeat that this year, with more new faces to.

Terry

They usually stick Ipswich next to W Suffolk so I'll be about too.

Ced, Fritag and many various others of us have had a one o clock meeting on Saturday for a few years now

Tomo and I will be manning the Birmingham IPMS stand as a matter of course so we used our stand as a basic meeting place, other years we met near the Bomber Command table which is always a prominent landmark and has Neil and Andy in attendance

Last year we had the bonus of Terrys unruly mob being across the gangway from us and a real enthusiastic meeting occurred

I suggest that we pick a similar location when the floorplan is announced and let the good times roll

All BMers will be expected, nay required to join us

A trip to the bar may ensue...

For the first time, this year I am staying in Telford on Saturday and I really cannot wait

Yippee!

30 minutes ago, perdu said:

For the first time, this year I am staying in Telford on Saturday and I really cannot wait

First time actually in Telford for me as well. On previous years we've stayed in Wellington or Shrewsbury itself. OK, but being close to the show (staggering distance is key) will be a bonus. 

31 minutes ago, perdu said:

Last year we had the bonus of Terrys unruly mob being across the gangway from us and a real enthusiastic meeting occurred

It was great, and we promise to be just as unruly this year!

Terry