Walrus...from the VERY old Airfix kit.

Started some wok on this one over this weekend in between doing my Staggerwing.  Basically have gone for some minimal improvements and extra  detail here and there. 

oZuzPM.jpg

Added a few longerons, a bit of basic cockpit detail all from scrap bits and spares
0liqia.jpg

VtaIfZ.jpg

The engine pod had to have one end fitted with some scrap plastic sheet to fill the space where the missing kit part with struts go. Laminate of styrene card left to harden before shaping.
bO6ePs.jpg

Fuselage joined up . Needed some masking tape to keep the halves aligned.  Note the wind deflector for the lower cabin window added. There are no windows in the kit and I didn't cut them out t glaze as there would be nothing really visible. Could have done but I wanted to keep the work to a minimum and avoid messing it up. I'll depict the windows with either decal strip or just use a very dark grey paint.... it'll be OK.!   he kit canopy has the the back end 'wall' cut away and its really quite thick plastic. Those who are familiar with this kit will know what I mean.
X7r35m.jpg

Close up of the fin with tailplane location holes out of line!! Another bit of redressing to be done.  Note the feint raised lines and light rivet detail on the parts. Pure vintage Airfix from the 50's!
JkN5oy.jpg

The scrap plastic card replacement section waiting for shaping.
l8Dvfr.jpg

Adding the rigging.  Drilled holes at points where the rigging wires go before joining the wing halves!  Will also think about blanking the wheel bay wall somehow.
gdb7Q74.jpg

Both lower wings with rigging material in place and halves joined. Next will be to fit the wings. When the top wing is attached I will only befitting the bottom half to the struts, feed the wires through holes drilled at appropriate points, stretch them tight and secure them . Then fit the wing top half. Done this method before and it worked well so I am giving it another go.

• Like 12

Some pics from the last couple late  afternoon sessions:

UdFgJE.jpg

Above and below various pics showing rigging in process.

0OiOZ5.jpg

Top wing bottom half in place to allow the riggig to be carried out aided by self gripping tweezers...
Uzd8yq.jpg

Leaving the top half of the upper wing off allowed the rigging material to be hidden within the halves and no need to drill right through.
UYCvnh.jpg

Top half of top wing in place. 
A1WBdJ.jpg

8LdhaF.jpg

Float rigging going on here. The outer wires still to be added.
qBZRgE.jpg

The tailplanes positioned OK after I filled the errant forward locating holes but I used some plastic rod for the struts as the kit parts were of  an odd cross section
kfwFng.jpg

All primed and ready for any areas that need attention.
Ug6Tbg.jpg

The upper wing trailing edges are quite blunt and square unfortunately but i will try to improve it a bit.  Once any tidying up is done a light rub down and on with the silver dope.

• Like 9

Hi Paul,

Great progress, looking really good. Clever rigging as well.

Do you find it easier to paint the model with both wings and rigging already assembled? Or is it just because of using a single colour? I'm asking because in my bi- and triplane builds I've always assembled the wings and rigged after painting the sub-assemblies separately. However, it should be said that the colour schemes had more than one colour in most cases.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Hi Paul,

Great progress, looking really good. Clever rigging as well.

Do you find it easier to paint the model with both wings and rigging already assembled? Or is it just because of using a single colour? I'm asking because in my bi- and triplane builds I've always assembled the wings and rigged after painting the sub-assemblies separately. However, it should be said that the colour schemes had more than one colour in most cases.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime. In this case it is going to be a single colour paint scheme.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 00:59, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice start Paul,

Seeing your build just reminded me I have the Revel boxing of the Matchbox Walrus in the stash!

:popcorn:

Plenty of room in the GB for an extra one ! 😉

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Excellent progress Paul,can't honestly say in all the years of modelling I've come across this kit I think it got a re-release when the

red boxes were introduced I nearly got one then.

Well, some more done to it on and off recently.  Its got to the painting stage. I'll let the pics telll you the story so far'

xsqRmB.jpg

Note the addition of the deflector plates just behind and below the cockpit. Also I have tried to indicate the side window behind it. This will be depicted with paint or decal.
9kgGot.jpg

Wheels temporarily in place and the float rigging done with florist steel wire cut and bent to size. Tricky doing this and not all turned out straight but as always I'll put up with it.
utd4NP.jpg

Thin black plastic card cit and rounded to shape cover both "manhole" positions fore and aft. ( My cheating way out to avoid super detailing due to lack of info).
aqVx56.jpg

Painting stage next.

• Like 12

Decals going on.....

After a couple coats of Humbrol No.11 silver... which reasonably replicates a dull silver for the aluminium dope overral.

lCnd8u.jpg

Note the black decal section replicating the side windows.
bEsyE3.jpg

The blue square will divided up to four small winows with silver decal stripe which I will also use for the cockpit framing. I'll also try to represent the hinge for when the hatch is slid forward( tracks represented here with wire lengths)and opened.
beA6UY.jpg

National markings going on. Am planning to do this as a RNZN nachine just need to find suitable serials and codes. Have seen images on line and will use those as a basis. The upper wing roundels are supposed to be 65" dia. and the decals do so but look too big but are right. Sadly only one pair are on the sheet so have gone for the 60" ones for the wing underside. 25" ones for the fuselage.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along and very near to completion. Just a couple more bits to do and will call it a day on this one.

WCMZTo.jpg

First digit of serial on this side. 
sZ3zaY.jpg

And full serial this side. Would like to do a RN badge for the rudder as my chosen subject represents one flown by RNZN nose code to be Z3 still to be added. Not a lot more I can do really. Not perfect but will be OK in the end.

• Like 12

Practically all done now. Pics up later on gallery page.   Then focus on the Sea Otter and probably go back to the YIWB Gb with my Provost.

• Like 3