Shuttleworth Collection Vintage Airshow, September 2019

Alpha Delta 210

Hello all

My wife and I spent an enjoyable day at Old Warden for the Vintage Airshow. There were a couple of brief showers during the flying display, but the clouds made for some quite dramatic images.

I took the following pictures with my Panasonic Lumix bridge camera.

I have converted a few to black and white, and must confess that I'm not sure whether I like them! I would be interested in your thoughts!

mHMsIwv6kLCF2COZJrX71ulAuMrOjiLzu2ZtgwZh

EZvTxyIKvxQtvUQXU4zGDnoZg5VcKvxwZYn7JNLw

fjNrJOO8o-EQ5M2ptznSAbXNmCK6Yqk0-UlVgXyd

i9cmPsEGxY8WBoSCTdsiPnnhrDU1F_4pxVEkNxfk

m4vnB-zbcLLUb09jSQ00iOINe103uXmm3xLJk_4K

_Con_YV8g4hixzOH_KqKCHJ1wma6gYaw1RWbNSt_

IlX7A6ZSLYKsGjpYE_Zg92xWxfLn_P59l5r4ucwV

_fgmUJ4ZLkwmss0m7Vju96hVOQWTqKBFIQg0QAkh

WcjiSc0OY2TPvcUj2A3R8lYalR7YMsoh35ANG8-l

7-9-4mqTzb9WG2VOlCaWFKzlm_cFEmtZbwFvzfR6

WRQvlJPfuottd07sto9s3lYIhfdIBdEWwxLfLRoQ

Rk2oWqwBy9qtMfVWDff8FjCvmiP5rK5ECIYWamyQ

vGITDtJajWfU7_FveUDL8BDdfFiEVKFPlF1C3kNU

wNcqaSQMz-3GMBAFSbVPWFuIoynNDXl5JGGRk6zG

BH1Hk6molyOO7rwPV-0mEQ0fpB32hK6W7JdSN353

0SdPXHycSD9zfAf5V63hW51JHF4zZLz7PwWGlLQq

EsIXX4ZbmsOFK3t1OBkjHTQB3gXyYIVdl4P-1C8x

puSkdc98C4BQYOAb9EmamD-0Y7KyVFSygdQZP64C

Nur6w8eyk5yoKSV_en49vWvhb7manJDh8ZRCPlGm

M76MaK1JZGAei43Qea5bW-_Dg7U-U61S99Q7llja

LghzRlOfO-cFWBRvK96w-Y-3pGiq69F7qxLssPaH

BihAWTame6dm9R2mulDPJrOH8TIVzG4SBrfWnChT

pZPP7I820Ay9jf_BbE55cx1yskRHyXWzDhYemSxF

PYcZ0BiksKHwN0-SNBbqwlA8T-erl9Z2PL7fJ4Vf

Jjuqj_DBf82sio_3gWF5K2GKX7FkwLOHe5Kj18Pi

rp-uVrJBxYI-9_8C1-SIFZcGWqChiNRcTMcuUMhx

765Th5UBzvTk0rYcki--8SWHMjS_Qkewt_NmZ3hj

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I was there too (also with wife). A mighty fine day out, only iPhone photos I’m afraid - if I’ve got any decent ones I’ll bung them in this thread if that’s ok.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I was there too (also with wife). A mighty fine day out, only iPhone photos I’m afraid - if I’ve got any decent ones I’ll bung them in this thread if that’s ok.

1 minute ago, Avereda said:

Love the photos by the way

Thanks for the kind words, Avereda. We retreated to the car in the heaviest shower!

If you've got any decent shots, be loud and proud and open your own thread!!

Very, very nice photos. I particularly like the Spitfire cockpit one. I think the black and white pics are great - you really seem to notice the picture in its entirety rather than just focus on the subject. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Very, very nice photos. I particularly like the Spitfire cockpit one. I think the black and white pics are great - you really seem to notice the picture in its entirety rather than just focus on the subject. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much, Parabat. I'm pleased you like the black and white images. My favourite shot of the day is the black and white tightly-cropped de Havilland tail chase.

• Like 1

Some grand photos!! Of the black and white ones about three of them look right the Lanc, Camel and Spitfire with Hurris look partcularly good. But all are really nice and wish I had gone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Some grand photos!! Of the black and white ones about three of them look right the Lanc, Camel and Spitfire with Hurris look partcularly good. But all are really nice and wish I had gone.

Thanks very much, Paul. I'm never sure about black and white conversions, so I value your opinion.

I always enjoy Old Warden shows, but today some of the old charm seemed to have returned.

Those photos are really nice, some of them ate quite magic, I do like your black & whites & the dramatic effects of the clouds, the Dominie against the cloud is particularly appealing. Totally agree with you re the DHs playing chase.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 7:20 PM, HOUSTON said:

AWESOME.😋

Thanks Houston. I'm pleased you liked them!

On 9/4/2019 at 6:37 AM, stevehnz said:

Those photos are really nice, some of them ate quite magic, I do like your black & whites & the dramatic effects of the clouds, the Dominie against the cloud is particularly appealing. Totally agree with you re the DHs playing chase.

Steve.

Hi Steve. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. I'm a member of the Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society and even though I don't live near the airfield, I try to attend as many of the ten or so shows during the season because I want to support the collection, and the atmosphere is unlike any other British air show. Even my wife enjoys the show (and the wallabies!)

I'm pleased that you liked the black and whites. I will add the colour image of the DH tail chase when I return home from an overseas trip, and I would be interested in your thoughts!

20 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

Hello

May I add my appreciation to the comments posted above.

I used to visit Old Warden every month before I was tempted by the offer of overtime working.

Gooney Fan

Hi Gooney Fan. Thank you very much for the kind words. I missed most of the 2016 air show season due to work commitments, but I think I'm getting the balance right now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scimitar F1 said:

Nice photos of a nice airshow with a good selection of aircraft. I have to say that it was good to have the display line closer than usual to the crowds. And of the latter it was refreshingly un-manic!

Hi Scimitar F1. Thanks for the kind words. I'm a regular attendee at Old Warden, but I didn't notice that the display line was any closer this time.

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Hi Steve. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. I'm a member of the Shuttleworth Veteran Aeroplane Society and even though I don't leave near the airfield, I try to attend as many of the ten or so shows during the season because I want to support the collection, and the atmosphere is unlike any other British air show. Even my wife enjoys the show (and the wallabies!)

I was fortunate to attend one of their twilight shows near on 5 years ago now. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though the weather wasn't the best. I'd certainly factor another into my planning for another trip to the UK, it has its own unique feel to it. & wallabies. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, stevehnz said:

I was fortunate to attend one of their twilight shows near on 5 years ago now. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though the weather wasn't the best. I'd certainly factor another into my planning for another trip to the UK, it has its own unique feel to it. & wallabies. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve. I'm pleased that you've been able to visit Old Warden. Fortunately, the Collection hasn't adopted the advance ticket only model (yet!) which means that I can take a rain-check if the forecast is poor. As it turned out, the long-range forecast for last Sunday was more accurate than the short-range forecast, which did not mention rain!

Here is the colour/less tightly cropped image of the de Havilland tail-chase with the black and white image below for comparison. I'm still torn!

9zOozLffZkXE8Tn7TVUTxW8homAGRTC0ICDvNOFW

FsjslnM5mYobBqmJmmOBthpaTjWTOOEr6yGKIBO7