Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FR.XVIII

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Madmaks said:

Looks awesome! What mods did you make? I am assuming you used the larger rudder in the kit and drilled 2 holes beneath the fuselage for the camera holes?

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I used the larger rudder and filled in the appropriate panel lines. For the camera holes I used the etched camera fairing from a Quickboost Spitfire PRXI set as a template to copy it on to plasticard . This was attached to the belly.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Thanks to all for the kind words.

I used the larger rudder and filled in the appropriate panel lines. For the camera holes I used the etched camera fairing from a Quickboost Spitfire PRXI set as a template to copy it on to plasticard . This was attached to the belly.

Thats exactly what I'm planning to do on mine.  Oddly same marking to! (but mine from Freightdog).  Only got as far as painting the cockpit.

Stephen,

Not my scale, but I know great modeling when I see it. Outstanding FR18 from the new-tool Airfix XIV. In my biased opinion, the FR18 is the nastiest-looking of the Griffon Spits, being surpassed only by the much beloved XII! I'm sure I'm not the only one holding out hope that Airfix will do a new-tool XIV/XVIII in 1/72 scale. Well done, sir, and the colors are spot-on- BTW, what paint did you use?

👍

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Stephen,

Not my scale, but I know great modeling when I see it. Outstanding FR18 from the new-tool Airfix XIV. In my biased opinion, the FR18 is the nastiest-looking of the Griffon Spits, being surpassed only by the much beloved XII! I'm sure I'm not the only one holding out hope that Airfix will do a new-tool XIV/XVII in 1/72 scale. Well done, sir, and the colors are spot-on- BTW, what paint did you use?

👍

Mike

Thank you,

the main colours are Tamiya acrylics XF-81 , XF-82 and XF-83. XF-21 Sky (lightened up with XF-2 white as it's too dark out of the jar).

Stephen

• Thanks 1

This RFI and discussion reminded me that a couple of years ago I had contacted the group at CMK asking about the possibility of their re-releasing their 1/72 XVIII kit, but in the new format with decals and etched parts, and I got a very nice reply stating that since the Sword and AZ kits had been released, with the Sword kit being easily made into an XVIII, and the errors in both kits being within the ability of most modelers, that they didn't like releasing kits of airplanes that were already out there, but did concede that the XVIII was so popular that a new-tool one was a strong contender for re-tooling...one can only hope somebody will give us one! I can see TP280 sitting on my shelf!

Mike

https://www.planesalesusa.com/details/Listing/Warbirds-Classics/5427/1945-Supermarine-Spitfire-MkXVIII