324.P Gloster Javelin

Black Knight

Just for the record I’ve had success here too. My rule of thumb is Lacquer, then Enamel, then Acrylic paints in that order. I avoid going the other way at all costs. I do try to stick to the same brand and same types of paint mediums if I can, however that is always dependant on getting a good colour match.

The Jav’s looking great BK. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 2

In Post #13 I mentioned I put Humbrol 11 Silver on the underneath. That has caused a major problem. The Humbrol paint didn't adhere in places to the model plastic so when I removed the Tamiya masking tape it pulled off swathes of the paint which was on top of the Humbrol silver as well as it. So lots of smoothing down and painting in again. Ideally I should have stripped it right back to bare plastic and started again.

In photos often the Javelins with rounded radomes have the grey/green camouflage on the radome but I preferred a black radome

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2022s-L.

I know I said I wasn't going to do any 'improvements' but I just could not stand that engine-less rear end so I cut a couple of lengths of plastic tube, installed them as engine exhausts and painted them up. I'm content now.

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2023s-S.

I need to polish up the silver underneath then it is just about ready for glossing up for decals

• Like 9

Spot the differences.

I need to do some more paint touching in and glossing up 

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2024s-L.

Work on this has been slowed as I had an urgent order to fill over the last week. The items need delivered lunch time tomorrow. Then I'm away until late Thursday/early hours of Friday, then away again, to a model railway show, on Saturday

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Well, it certainly looks more colourful, and has some nice (hard to do) pin-striping around the canopy. Looks good!

White decal strips, courtesy of Xtradecal of Hannants

The Jav’s looking great BK and I’m a fan of Xtradecal strip decals as well. I readily use the black for all sorts of small vents and slots that are not easy to produce in 1/72 scale. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a busy fortnight but I managed to get a wee bit done on this and got it finished over last weekend

(by far not my best work!)

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2025s-L.

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2026s-L.

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2027s-L.

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2028s-L.

Frog%20Early%20Kit%20Javelin%2C%2029s-L.

Typical Sid's Law. After I had decaled and varnished as I was putting away my Javelin books one fell open at a page with a loverly clear-ish photo of the underneath of WT830 showing the spacing of the letters and the placement of the roundels, which I got wrong

Oh, dear, 

How sad

Never mind

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Well, that looks really great BK! And excellent photos.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Sid's Law.

Not heard of that one. But aint it always the way?! At least it's on the underside.

A lovely model :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Well done BK, a smashing Javelin build and one to be proud of. Now I seem to always check my references up front whilst doing research, then rarely look at them as the build progresses. Situations like yours are all too common. Thanks for taking part and offering this old kit for this GB. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1