What's going on with my painting? Help required

Chris8039

What am I doing wrong? 

When I get my model car ready for painting I rubbed it down with 600 grit wet and dry then sprayed Tamiya primer waited for that to dry gave it another rub down, (I had a couple of runs) and gave it a second coat of primer.

Then when that dried I gave it its first coat of black gloss, let it dry then again I rub it down taking out any imperfections, so now when I went to give it a second coat almost immediately the paint takes on an appearance of like crazy paving or like crumpled up cling film, the last time I thought it was because I went on it too early, but it's happened again, is it because its Gloss? Or am I doing something else wrong, I am a newbie so need some help I want to get my paintwork right because I rushed the last one and it swearing removed  everytime I look at it 😂.

Please help because I've now spent so much time trying to get this right and I'm determined to get better at the finish.

Thanks Chris 

What type of paint is the black? 

30 minutes ago, Chris8039 said:

Then when that dried I gave it its first coat of black gloss, let it dry then again I rub it down taking out any imperfections, so now when I went to give it a second coat almost immediately the paint takes on an appearance of like crazy paving or like crumpled up cling film, the last time I thought it was because I went on it too early, but it's happened again, is it because its Gloss?

Just to clarify, is that what it also looked like after the first coat of black, and what you then rubbed down to prepare for the second coat?  If so, it appears that you are getting a reaction between the primer and the top coat.  Probably the easiest way to avoid that is to use primer and topcoat from the same source, e.g. I usually use Halfords primer, & either topcoat (if non metallic) or base coat & lacquer (if metallic) for car models, and have good results.

Edited by Paul H
typos...

Ok so to clarify it had 

X1 coat of primer

Rubbed down

Second coat of primer

Rubbed down

First coat of black 

Rubbed down 

Second coat of black, this is when I've had the reaction you can see in the picture, the primer I used was from Tamiya and the black is Plasticote having said that the second coat of black was with a different can, do you think that's what had caused it to react? 

Speaking as a non-paint expert (there are many people on here with much more knowledge than me), I'd have to agree that it looks as though the gloss is a bit too hot for the primer. Personally, I always use Halfords primer - much cheaper than Tamiya and (so far!) I haven't had any issues. The only time I've had anything like that was overspraying some decals, and fortunately I got away with a few light coats and sanding.

You might get away with adding a couple of mist coats (very light coats which don't give full coverage) first before applying the 'wet coat' to give a final gloss - this is good practice anyway as it helps minimise any reaction between coats. But I'm afraid, the best bet may well be to strip the whole lot (I use IPA [surgical spirit, not India Pale Ale ;) ] - other methods are available) and start again to get rid of any reactants.

May be worth hanging on to see if anyone with more knowledge knows a better way.

And I also forgot to put in my previous post that it is worthwhile buying a pack of cheap plastic teaspoons - you can test the paint combinations on those before going onto the model so any adverse reactions can be flagged up before you put paint on what matters.

• Like 1

Hi Chris I can understand your frustration. You mention the use of plasticote I'm assuming that's your gloss black top coat. If so that's your problem happened to me once a while ago I found a can in the garage gave it a blast and suffered the same reaction. Try using Tamiya TS gloss black in a can. Spray very light coats leaving a few minutes between coats. Gradually build up the coats till your happy with the finish. Practice on plastic spoons first till your happy with your technique saves the hassle of stripping your kit. Practice makes perfect Chris and you will eventually achieve the finish your looking for.

Regards Andy

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Spiny said:

May be worth hanging on to see if anyone with more knowledge knows a better way.

And I also forgot to put in my previous post that it is worthwhile buying a pack of cheap plastic teaspoons - you can test the paint combinations on those before going onto the model so any adverse reactions can be flagged up before you put paint on what matters.

Great idea that is 

28 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hi Chris I can understand your frustration. You mention the use of plasticote I'm assuming that's your gloss black top coat. If so that's your problem happened to me once a while ago I found a can in the garage gave it a blast and suffered the same reaction. Try using Tamiya TS gloss black in a can. Spray very light coats leaving a few minutes between coats. Gradually build up the coats till your happy with the finish. Practice on plastic spoons first till your happy with your technique saves the hassle of stripping your kit. Practice makes perfect Chris and you will eventually achieve the finish your looking for.

Regards Andy

You're right it is my black gloss top coat, think I'll try the tamiya, thinking to switch paints anyway because I started with revell bought a load of paint but theirs is like the smallest range 🤦🏻‍♂️

I'd ditch the plastiKote. Either you are putting it on too thick, or its reacting with the Tamiya primer. Either way, its not a hobby paint.

The other thing is, are you giving these paints enough time to dry?  To be safe, unless using laquers, I always give my coats a good 12 hours to dry before recoating

Posters above have all given you good tips.  Like Andy said, spray a couple of light mist coats and gradually build the colour up.  If you are using spray cans, buy some Tamiya TS ones.  You may also want to consider using 800 grit as a minimum to sand between coats, better still 1000.  60 is still a little coarse unless you follow it up with finer grits

Hope this helps

Bruce

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just picked this one up, been painting a 1:1 scale house so not been on lately! 
I would agree with Bruce and Steve, go fine with the wet’n dry and definitely ditch the Plasticote! My son, who  scratch builds sci-fi models now  and again had the same problem , final coat crinkling up. I have  used SATIN Plasticote over Halford’s primer with no problems but this was on a wooden ship model. Never had a problem with Halfords shake the can paints, you can decant for the airbrush if you want a finer finish and a can goes a long way!

Dave