Fairey Seafox - FINISHED 19-03-2020

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Just catching up John,she's looking beautiful hope you push on and get her completed I have just got a later boxing for the in the Navy GB and want to

reference(nick) your build for mine!

I would hope that I could have it finished before then Steve , especially with a build planned for that GB too. :)

• Like 2

On 17/11/2019 at 22:37, PeterB said:

Always intended to build one of these but never quite got round to buying one. No definitive evidence on the colours, but pre war could have been Silver and Cerrux Grey - IPMS Stockholm's "Urban's Colour Charts" say FS16440 ie light gull grey is the nearest equivalent. Please note I say "could have been" as some sources say that Cerrux Grey was only used up to 1936 and then perhaps they became all over silver or maybe the FAA specific Sky Grey came into use - I am not sure and just to complicate matters the "Urban" chart says that "Sea Grey aka FS 35622 overall was in use post 1936 (but that FS ref is Israeli light blue so maybe they mean Light Sea Grey) and then say Sky Grey from 1938 - take your pick! Normal wartime scheme should be EDSG/Dark Slate Grey and perhaps shadow shading of Dark Sea Grey and Light Slate Grey on the lower wing,  over either Sky Grey or Sky unders but the Graf Spee battle was early in the war so perhaps it had not been repainted? In fact I believe Sky did not start being used until about June 1940, well after this battle, which is why there is the big debate over the underside colours of RAF fighters during the Battle of Britain as Sky was a new colour  and stocks were slow in being issued. Wiki says, for what it is worth, that Ajax had been in or around the West Indies since Feb 1938 so I would be tempted to suggest that Hannants may well be correct and the Seafox did indeed remain in the silver/grey scheme unless she had either docked for a refit before then or had a new plane sent out to her, and even then I cannot see the unders being Sky as it did not then exist if my reading is correct - perhaps White Ensign meant Sky Grey?

So by now you should be as confused as I am! For the record, to my eye all 3 of the greys are fairly similar so just pick whichever you want if you decide to use the silver/grey finish - Light Aircraft Grey is also close, though I expect someone will have other and perhaps better ideas on the subject.

Ye Gods, it’s conflicting information like this that’s prompted while forums and websites dedicated to deciding what shade of grey the props were in Genesis of the Daleks :eyeroll:

EDIT: I’m not joking. And worse....

I’m a member....

Edited by DalekCheese
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right, back to the modelling then. Based on the drawings and photos in Stuart's @Courageous build, this is my interpretation of the gun mount. I have to come up with a way of attaching the support arm, and then I can paint it and fix it in position. It's quite tiny, so please don't sneeze. :winkgrin:

49529527941_7271beb232_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 3

Cheers Charlie. I'm pleased with the way it has turned out, but there won't be much on show once I fix it in the fuselage.

When possible, I try to take my photos in natural daylight and we are fortunate that we have a conservatory that I am able to use for that. I generally use a Sony 90V camera for most of my model photos and occasionally I will break out my Canon DSLR, but in general this does the job well enough. With the above shot, I tried a few snaps from different angles in natural light first which didn't bring out the coloured details too well, so I added some fill flash and that did the trick. It was edited with Flickr's online suite of tools, with a simple crop and a touch of sharpening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Cheers Charlie. I'm pleased with the way it has turned out, but there won't be much on show once I fix it in the fuselage.

When possible, I try to take my photos in natural daylight and we are fortunate that we have a conservatory that I am able to use for that. I generally use a Sony 90V camera for most of my model photos and occasionally I will break out my Canon DSLR, but in general this does the job well enough. With the above shot, I tried a few snaps from different angles in natural light first which didn't bring out the coloured details too well, so I added some fill flash and that did the trick. It was edited with Flickr's online suite of tools, with a simple crop and a touch of sharpening.

I have never used Flickr's editing before, so I just tried it out. That looks really useful. Thanks for that!

Oh, wait! That gun mount looks fantastic!

Chris

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I have never used Flickr's editing before, so I just tried it out. That looks really useful. Thanks for that!

I find them useful for what I do Chris. Personally I try to make sure that I start with a good image then refine it a little, and usually that involves a closer crop with a tweak of the clarity. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks Steve. I am desperately trying to keep in front for you matey. :)

Ha no need to rush it John,I'm building the Corsair first John Sea Fox is third in line!

• Like 1

Since the  last update I have fixed the gun and mount in place and started work on the decals, adding the walkway lines to the lower wings and completing those on the fuselage.

49560763123_d81ff6e5dc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49561496822_e256c20eab_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49560762983_f14a689e86_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49561496537_1bb91a16af_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The fuselage has had a satin varnish applied and I will apply a matt clear to the fabric covered areas. I have also started on rigging the upper wing prior to fixing this in position. But before that happens I will need to add the forward screen and possibly the rear canopies.

49561260201_951506852f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

On 20/02/2020 at 18:36, Johnson said:

Lovely work John.

Cheers Charlie. I finished the upper wing rigging last night and I'll try to sort out the cockpit screen tomorrow, and maybe scratch some simplified radio equipment for the observers station. I won't be around for a short while, we are off to Richmond for a few days - a birthday treat from Mrs. N..

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 21:57, Johnson said:

Very nice (I'm assuming you're talking about Yorkshire - lovely place).

Yes Charlie. This Lancastrian will be back for a visit to Yorkshire, purely on missionary work of course, I wouldn't want folk thinking that I enjoy going there - least of all my siblings. :lol:

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The top wing of the Seafox was added and rigged during the week. One suggestion I would make to help ease  to ease the assembly, would be to add the forward 'V' shaped cabane struts and leave the lower wings floating in their slots, I had previously fixed the lower wing in position and had to crack those joints to ensure everything aligned correctly. I fixed the interplane and forward cabane struts in position first, and then reattached the lower wings before I glued the rear cabane struts in place. Once everything had set up it was on with the rigging.

49655432101_d1f7a0e427_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 15/03/2020 at 11:18, Johnson said:

Good to see your Seafox coming along John. Beautiful work with the rigging, she's going to look lovely.

Best regards,

Thanks a lot Charlie. I am almost done with this one now, the floats have had the steering linkages added to the rudders and they are glued on. The observer has been fixed in position and the rear canopy fitted, the radio mast on the wing has been replaced with a length of brass tubing and this needs to be painted then rigged. A final check over should then see it done, I hope to post the some final photos tomorrow.

OK guys, I am calling this one finished. I completed the last of the detail work last night and took some photos a little earlier this afternoon. Many thanks to those of you that have stuck with this one, it has been a long road but we are at the end, and particular thanks go to @Courageous for giving me the inspiration to make the changes through his two fabulous builds of this kit, and to @dogsbody for supplying photos etc of actual aircraft. I hope to add this to a first attempt at a seascape diorama as a future project.

Fairey Seafox Mk.1

K8591, 718 NAS, Fleet Air Arm, HMS Ajax,

Battle of River Plate, South Atlantic, December 1939

1/72 Matchbox

49676474062_5775c4f8a6_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49675657008_4988ec8939_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49675657358_3b10777509_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49676190526_f8571264b0_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr