Fairey Seafox - FINISHED 19-03-2020

I managed a little more work on this build last night by adding a floor. Once I have sorted out the seat positions, and a few other small details I should be able to get some paint on the internal bits and close up the fuselage, things should move along a bit quicker after that.

49163872668_ba65418b68_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

Hi John,

I recognize your precision in modelling, something to be admired!

Impressive as always.

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

It's always nice to hear from you, and thankyou once again for your kind comment. I can't take credit for the improvement ideas, but the work is my own and I am looking forward to trying to improve the exhausts. I already have some idea of what I want to do, it's just putting all of that into a practical solution.

• Like 2

I have been tinkering about with a few ideas of how to make the exhausts, and I think that I now have something that is workable. Having removed the kit lumps I decided to see if I could recreate the slots in the exhaust outlets, so, using a scrap of plastic, I started by drilling a hole at each end of the slots  and removing the surplus plastic in between, but I wasn't satisfied with the result. I then decided that I would glue short lengths of plastic strip (0.030in x 0,020in) to the edge of some 0.030in sheet in the correct pattern for the slotted area, then glued a length of strip across these, and finally a small section of sheet on the top face to close everything in. This is the result after trimming to shape.

49183686126_cce785a6e3_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49183686216_d7c5e0abef_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll try to remember to take photos of each stage when I make up the other three, and I need to check the slot spacing because I am not sure if the slots for the top ones should be evenly spaced

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Courageous said:

Good work with the exhaust. I didn't bother with the ports...didn't notice them that's why.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, if things hadn't gone to plan then I would have been adding solid ones too. 

6 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's these little details that can make a big difference.  Lovely work John.

Thanks Cliff, just three more to make and I must remember that they are handed. :)

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work so far. I have used the Venturi Stuart mentioned and they're quite nice. I got mine from Ebay. 

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris. I have decided to bite the bullet and have ordered a set along with a Vickers K series from Ebay. I just hope that they get here before the GB ends.

• Like 3

After a couple of days away from the bench, due to sore wrists caused by some over enthusiastic tree pruning, I got back to working on the exhausts today. I said that I would document the steps to make these and this is the method I have adopted.

I used various bits of plastic strip and sheet material and working from top to bottom these are a short length of 0.015in plastic strip, a strip of 0.010in plastic sheet, 0.030in x 0.020in strip and a scrap of 0.030in sheet - large enough to make a blank for the exhaust. 

49198559876_3a402045cc_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I started by gluing short lengths of the 0.030 x 0.020 strip to the edge of the blank leaving gaps for the slots and adding some at each end of the exhaust. Once dry these are then trimmed with a pair of side cutters.

49198066303_61d56dd6c5_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49198760302_4d7e3a3f6d_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I then glued some 0.015in strip on top these and left that to dry before cleaning the faces up in readiness for the final stage.

49198560396_16ab3213b8_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49198760537_02ff0b11a2_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

The final stage in creating the blank, was to glue a piece of the 0.010 sheet to the top face. Once this has dried I can trim the blank to size, then file and sand to shape. 

49198760107_80712389ba_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49198066733_49c70c0fc1_z.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 6

On 10/12/2019 at 15:56, Johnson said:

Excellent work John, the little details do make a difference. You're heading for another build I'm going to be envious of!

Cheers,

Thanks a lot Charlie.  I have finished work on the exhausts now and I have started on assembling the fuselage.

My figure painting skills are not up to much which is why I don't often include them in my builds, but I have decided to add the crew to this one. The pilot is painted up and, because things are tight around the cockpit, he has been fixed in place. I can fit the observer later so I have left him out for now.

49213228422_d02e80f1e6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Once the pilot was in situ I glued the fuselage halves together and I now need to tidy things up. With a Christmas party and a 60th birthday bash this weekend, it may be Sunday before I can make any further progress.

49213000686_aaee2c6ce5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have replaced the oil cooler following the method used by @Courageous, and hiding the join with a shim of thin sheet plastic before fixing it in place. I have also added the landing lights to the leading edges of the lower wings and drilled holes in preparation for rigging, I still have to work out the correct end positions of the upper and lower bracing wires of the inner bay. Once I have finalised that I can fix the lower wings in position and make a start on the painting.

49232905321_ee148e1453_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49232441913_6389052590_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Replacements for the venturi and the Vickers K series machine gun are on the way from Latvia, but I am not sure if they will get here in time. I can still get on with some prep work in readiness for their arrival though.

• Like 11

44 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That looks like great work John.

But it can't have done much for the pilot's view!

He would have had a very restricted view had I fixed the pilots seat in the original kit position Charlie. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Lots of us have this kit John, i dont think ive ever seen one getting the attention and detail you are giving to your one.

Keep up the good work. 

Cheers Pat 

Thanks a lot Pat. Unfortunately, I won't quite make it with this one, Once I have finished the detail painting of the exhausts etc. I can start adding decals to the fuselage. The upper wing has been primed but needs to have the holes drilled for rigging and then I can add topcoat of paint. After that it will be time for rigging and final assembly. I am also still waiting for the parts from Latvia to arrive, and with postie having made his delivery for today, I don't think that I will see them this side of Christmas now. Anyway here is where I am up to at present.

49252860751_3451dd7f4e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

I was quite surprised this morning when the parts that I had been waiting for turned up with the mornings post. With some judicious juggling of modelling time/festive activities, I hope I can finish this one over the holidays.

49268427366_771a4df9b9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to do a bit more to the Seafox, painting the grey on the nose and floats. I decided to go along with one of the colour choices offered up by @PeterB in his earlier posting (see #18), deciding on FS16440 Light Gull Grey as the closest match that I have for Cerrux Grey, although it is still uncertain that this was actually the grey used. The only image that I have come across, which is supposed to be of an aircraft from HMS Ajax in early 1940, clearly shows a grey across the nose area, so I have decided to go with this on my model. I have also gone with the guidance given on the decal sheet, that this unidentified colour was carried across the floats.

49309577556_6bafeee744_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49309779892_ce57a0de39_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Just catching up John,she's looking beautiful hope you push on and get her completed I have just got a later boxing for the in the Navy GB and want to

reference(nick) your build for mine!

• Like 1