This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Nigel Bunker

Getting older

We are all getting older and despite the attentions of the opticians, my eyesight is not as good as it was. These days I frequently find myself scanning painting or decal instructions so that I may print them out to a larger, more easily read size.

It occurs to me this would be a lot easier if the model and decal manufacturers could include the instructions on their websites in PDF format so the older (and perhaps the younger) members of this community could print them off to the size they need.

Just my thoughts; do let us have your opinions below.

Are you saying Do not include decals with kits and instead download them from manufacturers site?, Sounds good if you have a computer or are you saying that manufacturers should make them available on there website for copying by any one who wants to rescale or abuse them?  If manufacturers did that it would be economical  suicide as any tom, dick or harry could copy them to there hearts content and use them for any manufacturer of a particular kit.

I scan many of my decal sheets, just in case I muck one up when applying decals, be they crazed, destroyed by wrong varnish, or refurbishing a kit.  Cannot see any kit manufacturer putting examples of decal sheets online unless they have a copyright logo splattered on them as Britmodeller does on any of there reviews; at aged 72 I am quiet happy with the current procedure, although I do know that a particular decal artist does put his decals online for free downloading  https://sites.google.com/site/rjcaviationart/decalarchive   there are plenty decal sheets on the net, heres another done by Richard  http://www.modelaircraftmagazine.com/full_site/frames/info/069.htm and another http://www.modelaircraftmagazine.com/full_site/frames/info/050.htm

41 minutes ago, Nigel Bunker said:

It occurs to me this would be a lot easier if the model and decal manufacturers could include the instructions on their websites in PDF format so the older (and perhaps the younger) members of this community could print them off to the size they need.

Revell and Airfix already do provide instructions for current kits via their websites

24 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Are you saying Do not include decals with kits and instead download them from manufacturers site?,

I don't think that Nigel is referring to the decal sheet, but to the accompanying instruction sheet. It would be very useful to be able to download the instructions and enlarge then as ageing eyesight can be a real pain.

John.

1 hour ago, rayprit said:

Do not include decals with kits and instead download them from manufacturers site?,

No, just the instructions. And whilst Airfix & Revell make instructions available, most of the rest of the kit manufacturers and decal manufacturers don't.

And don't just think it is an oldie whining - we all get old eventually.

5 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

We are all getting older and despite the attentions of the opticians, my eyesight is not as good as it was. These days I frequently find myself scanning painting or decal instructions so that I may print them out to a larger, more easily read size.

Just my thoughts; do let us have your opinions below.

I find that although you can zoom in on the pdf to make it bigger, when you tick off the ones applied the biro marks stay on the screen ....

17 minutes ago, IanHx said:

I find that although you can zoom in on the pdf to make it bigger, when you tick off the ones applied the biro marks stay on the screen ....

Just use some Tippex :whistle:

For once my completely crap eyesight works to my advantage. Being quite  shortsighted I can stiil read small print and still model in 1/72nd scale, just everything else needs glasses to see and has done virtually all my life. 

Just everything else is dropping to pieces. 

22 hours ago, Mr T said:

For once my completely crap eyesight works to my advantage. Being quite  shortsighted I can stiil read small print and still model in 1/72nd scale, just everything else needs glasses to see and has done virtually all my life. 

Just everything else is dropping to pieces. 

Haha, yes, I'm quite short sighted but close up my eyesight is amazing, I should've become a watch maker lol..... I have work colleagues who ask me can I read the print on some of the work we get moaning that it is tiny, take my glasses off and no problem, they have a dig at first but then realise my poor eyesight makes their life easier :)

23 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Just use some Tippex

Stupid boy, Pike.

On a related note, a news article last week said that Lego will offer instructions in Braille.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/28/lego-is-piloting-audio-and-braille-building-instructions/

fundekals offers instructions on their website. I really like this, and wish that all decal manufacturers would do this!!!

As noted above, many (most?) Revell kit instructions online. Eduard and CMK have their instructions online, too. I'm sure there are others.

Edit: Donegan Optical's OptiVISOR are a must-have tool for us older folk. Multiple lens plates are available; #5 is my goto lens, and #10 is needed for some even smaller bits. Parts are readily available.

Edited by dnl42

51 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Stupid boy, Pike.

On a related note, a news article last week said that Lego will offer instructions in Braille.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/28/lego-is-piloting-audio-and-braille-building-instructions/

Good idea. Bit late though. My son used to come up with his own creations with Lego Technic 25 years ago. He came up with a Napier style 'H' layout engine.

All I did was compartmentalise all the fiddly bits, and the rest was just counting holes or bumps. He's now making Gauge 1 steam engines. They don't come with Braille either.

Hi

I use a table magnifier/light thingy, clamps on to the edge of the table 

but the pdf is a good idea 

The only advantage i find to my eyesight now i am getting older is the ladies get better looking,

way more 9s & 10,s than when i was in my younger days 

cheers

jerry 

My dad used to say he knew he was getting older because the mothers looked more interesting than the daughters. 

Better not pursue this line any further before the mods step in.