1976-SR-71 World Record Beater**Finished**

Hockeyboy76

28 Jul 1976, the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird broke the world’s record for sustained altitude in horizontal flight at 25,929 meters (85,069 feet). The same day another SR-71 set an absolute speed record of 3,529.6 kilometers per hour (2,193.2 miles per hour), approximately Mach 3.3.

To set the Absolute Speed record, Joersz and Morgan, flying in Blackbird 958, had to cross the electronic timing gate, travel the twenty-five kilometer course, cross a second timing gate, turn around, and repeat the course from the opposite end to negate the effect of winds. The crew had an unstart—Blackbird-speak for an engine shutdown—just after crossing the timing gate on the second leg while flying at a speed of Mach 3.3.

“On an unstart, the aircraft yaws and the nose pitches up,” Joersz noted. “There is a five-step checklist to get the engine relit. I knew I had to keep the nose down to stay in the 150-foot box, so that’s what I concentrated on. By the time we’d gone through the checklist, we’d already passed the second gate. Still, we exited the gate at Mach 3.2.”

Fuselage panels were manufactured to fit only loosely with the aircraft on the ground. Proper alignment was achieved as the airframe heated up and expanded several inches. Because of this, and the lack of a fuel-sealing system that could handle the airframe's expansion at extreme temperatures, the aircraft leaked JP-7 fuel on the ground prior to takeoff.

Everyone thinks the Blackbird was big on the ground before getting bigger in the air, but I’m not so sure looking at my “scale” kit. 

resized_80e498fb-b33a-4fa3-b0d9-b183a4ad

A big thanks to @Rabbit Leader for letting this in, I’m sure this will be an “eggsciting”  build of this record “beater”😂🧐

Hopefully it will get @Hewy to pull his finger out and crack on with his. 😂

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well done H, that eggplant SR-71 looks great. I've been tempted for ages to get one of these planes, possibly a Mustang or something like that just for a bit of weekend fun. This should be good to watch and fits perfectly within his madcap GB. Who would have thought you could squeeze a Coldstream Guard, Six wheeler Tyrell, Apollo 11, French Aircraft Carrier and now this 'eggplane' into one GB?? 

Cheers and a second helping of welcomes.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lets start this build as we mean to go on, 

Where's the best place to get information about eggs?

The hen-cyclopedia.

:thumbsdown::tumble:

The mojo has “dipped” over the past couple of weeks filled with diy projects. The Tyrrell is still good, but seeing how I dropped my Phantom multiple times today, I thought it better to build something else. 

Anyway “enoeuff” of this, lets open the egg box and get “cracking”

7BD636C8-05AD-4CC4-A4D3-5C5AB5BC3318

• Like 3

On 9/20/2019 at 12:05 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Oh man.. are we gonna have egg jokes with every update? Good thing this little one will probably be all wrapped up pretty shortly then! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave, Dave, Dave, of course, it’s as much a part of the build as naming of the pilots . @Hewy, @nimrod54 & @Cookenbacher can testify. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What did one egg say to another?

Your yolks crack me up. 

Finished. Big thanks to @Rabbit Leader for allowing this in the mix, and to all the “great” egg jokes contributed to the build along the way. 

C9C86674-011B-43C1-AAEA-143507A0A52C

More pics in the gallery. 

Now I should really “crack” on with the Tyrell. 

Time to take my “Eggsit” stage left. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That looks so cool and I'm glad she's all finished and nicely displayed in the GB Gallery. 

Hopefully you're not too egg-hausted after this small build and will get back onto the P34 in good time. 

Cheers and well played .. Dave 

• Thanks 1