1/350 HMS Hood Turrets

S-boat 55

Hi All,

Quick question, does any one have any experience with parts from Big Blue Boy? I've a 1/350 Hood in the 'stash' and keep an eye out for buys for her while I work on other stuff. I've seen a resin turret set to correct the awful trumpeter ones from a company called Big Blue Boy, it includes turned barrels and blast bags. I've had a look on the Hood website and a search on here but can't find any real reviews as to if they're worth the money. 

The only other thought was Fkyhawks turret set but I'd then need to find turned barrels to fit blast bags, 

Any input gratefully received

Thanks

Sam

I have no experience with the set, but they did miss the correction on the rangefinder hoods that are still as-built, not as refitted. So, they are overall better than Trumpeter, but... Did you have a look at the Shapeway set?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DRXTHNJ24/1-350-hms-hood-15-quot-mark-ii-turrets-1941-b-bags?optionId=65283549

(Also no experience with those or how the printing turns out, but they look pretty solid).

Edited by foeth

Yeah did have a look at them, was a little dubious as I've not seen anything 3d printed, but people do seem to speak well of them, I was hoping to get the turrets and the barrels pretty cheaply hence big blue but I guess there's a risk of getting what you pay for. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Yeah did have a look at them, was a little dubious as I've not seen anything 3d printed, but people do seem to speak well of them, I was hoping to get the turrets and the barrels pretty cheaply hence big blue but I guess there's a risk of getting what you pay for. 

Here you go - Shapeways  - from Micro Master - my own HMS Hood 1941 Turrets bought last month

264EAHF.jpg

and what Shapeways Turrets look like , when adapted with Brass Barrels - for HMS Repulse (  1/350 )

BK71eMl.jpg

as long as you leave them for a few hours in the sun when bought - and let them cure they work perfect -

and below on the Model - 

r5kpFLk.jpg

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4

On 11/09/2019 at 10:19, 73north said:

Here you go - Shapeways  - from Micro Master - my own HMS Hood 1941 Turrets bought last month

264EAHF.jpg

and what Shapeways Turrets look like , when adapted with Brass Barrels - for HMS Repulse (  1/350 )

BK71eMl.jpg

as long as you leave them for a few hours in the sun when bought - and let them cure they work perfect -

and below on the Model - 

r5kpFLk.jpg

They do look rather nice, I think I've been swayed, thanks for sharing, 

• Like 2