1/72 Special Hobby Movie Star Buchon

VG 33

Hello

Here is my 1/72 Special Hobby Hispano Aviación HA-1112 Buchón dressed like a Messerschmitt Bf 109E for the Battle of Britain 1968 movie. I built her from the box with the original transfers. I have just made a hole in the propeller spinner. An easy kit and which could still be available.

Patrick

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 55

6 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Hobbycraft did one in that scale. I wish it was readily available.

Academy did the whole range of 1/48 109's including the Buchon. It was available as a Spanish one. or movie plane, but both come with "German" markings.  I did mine with markings from the spares box to do Yellow 7 from the BoB movie.  The kit can still be found....

41470901790_9ffad9fa6a_k.jpgYellow nosed sweetheart by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Edited by Devilfish
  • Like 5

Nice job!

Strange how an aircraft "pretending" to be another can become a star in its own right.

It's a favourite movie of mine, since I went to see it at the cinema with my Dad (I was a starry-eyed six year old at the time).

No hi-tech CGI in those days and the Buchon was the closest airworthy plane to portray the Messerschmitt 109.

Thanks for showing your fine build.

:clap: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Wow! "Special Hobby" and "easy kit" usually don't belong in the same phrase. :)

So far, I have built many Special Hobby kits and I suppose I am now a bit seasoned. The most easy were the AH-1 Cobra and the SMB2 kits.

Patrick

An interesting side note.  To make the "109"s more like the Emil model, and to differentiate theme from the Spitfires in the film (for non-aeronautically minded), the producer had the wing tips squared off.  The Spanish Air Force's head pilot argued that this would ruin the plane, but once he took one of the modified planes up, he asked why they hadn't done that themselves when they were in service!  Apparently they were much more responsive to roll.

• Like 2

It would indeed - which is why the Spitfires introduced clipped wings after problems with the rapid-rolling Fw190s.  It has occurred to me that the Hurricanes in India would have benefited similarly against the Oscar. However the penalties are inevitably a lower performance at altitude and a shorter range.  So it becomes a matter of competing priorities.

In the case of the Spitfire, it was also used to reduce wing-root stresses, after a number of wing failures diving in the fighter-bomber role.  In the case of the Buchon, at this date who cared?

PS thinking of operational Buchons, the cannon in the wing and the rockets underneath would both have reduced roll ability.  But clipping the wings would also have reduced lift, needed at the heavier weights.  Trade-offs again.  And in the end, as the only real role was in shooting up a few insurgents, would it have been of any real value?

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Very nicely finished indeed! I have one in my stash but I¡ll be going for a Spanish operational machine.

Miguel

I have already built 2 Spanish Buchon like this one :

spacer.png

or this one :

spacer.png

Patrick

Edited by VG 33
  • Like 11

On 9/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, VG 33 said:

So far, I have built many Special Hobby kits and I suppose I am now a bit seasoned. The most easy were the AH-1 Cobra and the SMB2 kits.

Patrick

I enjoyed their DH Vampire (ex-MPM), and I'm currently working my way through the Brewster Buffalo and Barracuda. They are challenging, but fun kits. 

I'm interested in seeing more about the SMB2. Do you have a work in progress thread? 

• Like 1