Piston Provost T.1. 1/72nd

From the box of doom in my shed and unearthed recently the S&M 1/72nd Provost T.1.  Found built and partially painted but left abandoned having been inspired by the year I was born GB.  So it seemed right that I complete it and worked on this while doing my Harvard for the GB recently. I do have an unbuilt one which I will start soonish  for said GB

All decals for this came from various spares for the fin flash and roundels while all the codes and serials were from the generic decals from Modeldecal. Silver stripes did the canopy framing and wide Scalemaster ( pretty old ones at that.. from around the 1970s) stripes for the yellow T bands double laid as they were a bit see through.   I had to replace the prop blades as the kit ones,though being to scale, are very delicate and thin and two got broken off during its time in storage. Fortunately I found a couple props with blades the right length and approximate shape.  Looks OK now.

It represents WV431;XF of the CFS RAF Little Rissington 1953.

jkunVl.jpg

LOLQ9t.jpg

Z5Q1FL.jpg

eGN2Cx.jpg

nuaJW2.jpg

jwi3Sp.jpg

Now.What I would like are a pair of CFS emblems for the nose. You know the type the one with the badge and the coloured pennant shapes either side. There are a couple on the S&M decals sheet for the Gnat in 1/72nd. But I used mine so if any one out there can help please....

• Like 34

Very nice. I've a soft spot for the Provost. I remember seeing one perform aerobatics near my home as a child. I didn't know what it was at the time but I recognised it later such was the impression it made. 

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looks good Paul, I like the Silver/Yellow scheme as much as any of the RAF's trainer schemes  & that job captures it beautifully. I'm wondering if any of the Xtradecal JP sheets has the CFS crest on it?

Steve.

Thanks for the tip off Steve!!  Fortunately I have that JP set But sadly I believe that Xtradecal/Hannants dropped that option on a re run of same set.  Also I had planned to do the one from that set anyway BUT I found my S&M Gnat set and discovered I still have a pair unused so that's what I will do but I am still up for more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

Thanks for the tip off Steve!!  Fortunately I have that JP set But sadly I believe that Xtradecal/Hannants dropped that option on a re run of same set.  Also I had planned to do the one from that set anyway BUT I found my S&M Gnat set and discovered I still have a pair unused so that's what I will do but I am still up for more.

Xtradecal X72291 (the revised JP3 sheet) has CFS markings, as did the earlier sheet, X72250. 

Brilliant Paul .. Jan/Feb 1971 RAF Halton . Elementary Airframes Phase and these were our 1st planes we had to take bits off and refit without losing parts . I got Elevators , Canopy , windscreen wiper motors and a joint class wings off . Elevators didn't go well , they didn't move ,the previous trainee hadn't routed the control runs  correctly and a pulley was tied in knots with cable because he must have lost it and looked nothing like the Aircraft Vol 1 Maint Manual's idea of the Elevator system . which was the first one I'd ever seen BTW . Showed the Sgt Instructor ….. That's what your here for ….Sort it out !

Great job and a lot better looking than the one I had. Well done !

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Xtradecal X72291 (the revised JP3 sheet) has CFS markings, as did the earlier sheet, X72250. 

OK.did not know that. Thanks.

11 hours ago, junglierating said:

And did you sort it out

No ! There was a something wrong with 1 or 2 pulleys and cables were kinked !

• Haha 1