Atomic City Pan Am Space Clipper Orion

Greetings!

Recently completed, this is the Atomic City Orion Space Clipper resin kit. For me, this is the most beautiful of the vehicles from 2001: A Space Odyssey.   From tip of nose to the end of the rear stingers, the model is 44 inches long (not 42 inches).   Being large and heavy, a sturdy display stand is essential to prevent tipping and damage, so I made one from a pre-cast concrete paver - it will never tip!  External battery powered LED lights for the cockpit and passenger cabin were added but I did not do an interior.  The wing is secured into position from the bottom with 6 small screws to allow access to the interior and lighting.  The kit decals are very nice, but the Pan Am logo blue seems a bit too dark?  Details about the construction will be posted soon along with more images of the completed model. In the meantime I wanted to share these first images of the finished kit . . . .

Thanks for having a look, questions and comments are always welcome.

Cheers,

Bill

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 44
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks for the comments!  Orion is 44 inches in length.  It is frequently described as being only 42 inches, perhaps the difference being the stingers at the end?  The kit seems simple with relatively few parts, but actual construction was a surprising challenge!  More on this later when Work in Progress photos are posted.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks everyone - I do appreciate the kind comments!  In the following image I attempted to duplicate the angle and lighting of the Kubrick filming model . . . . .

spacer.png

Seems like a simple task, but I found it to be far more of a challenge than anticipated.

Bill

Edited by Jeddahbill
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!  I do appreciate your having a look and commenting.  I paid 385USD for the kit from Scott Alexander on Ebay a few years ago.  Not sure if the kit is still available from Atomic City.  Other than one or two small issues, the kit was well designed and of good quality.  No instructions or construction related information included, but it did come with two sets of very nice decals.  A challenging resin kit, very large and heavy.  Finding a place to display the completed model was difficult - after checking with the Minister of the Interior (my wife), I obtained permission to temporarily display the model on the dining room table.

Bill

• 7 months later...