Mediterranean P-40:s

vppelt68

This summer has played h**l with my model building and group build participation. Thank God, the summer in here seems to be over very soon and we're heading towards a season more suitable for this hobby :coolio:.

Nuff said, not to be started before some more urgent builds are done, as their GB:s end sooner, but here's my trio of the quite delicious looking Special Hobby Kittyhawks and a Warhawk:

2019-08-31_10-40-37

I plan to build them out of the box, decorating each with the North African decal options supplied in the kits.

For a while, this is just a placeholder... V-P

• Like 10

Good morning VP

Welcome aboard and enjoy your builds ..

I think that  I will have to change my plans because I had planned to build the P 40K with the bow art decals option

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning VP

Welcome aboard and enjoy your builds ..

I think that  I will have to change my plans because I had planned to build the P 40K with the bow art decals option

Patrice

Patrice, you mean the American K? Go ahead and do it, I'm actually itching to build all three with Roundels and that'd be a perfect exc... reason to go shopping for a SAAF decal set for my short fuselage K. Anybody know if MAV decals are any good? V-P

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Patrice, you mean the American K? Go ahead and do it, I'm actually itching to build all three with Roundels and that'd be a perfect exc... reason to go shopping for a SAAF decal set for my short fuselage K. Anybody know if MAV decals are any good? V-P

Good evening VP

Thank you very much I appreciate that ..👍

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are some sprue pics for starters! There are two almost identical sprues A and B in each kit. It's just that the "original" P-40E/ Kittyhawk Mk.IA fuselage halves have been blocked from the other kits' sprue A, the one with the wing parts in it.

2019-10-21_09-11-23

Here are the fuselage halves, now you see the original sprue A layout.

2019-10-21_09-12-31

I have rarely seen nicer moldings. It helps to appreciate its finesse, having just "built" an early 1960's vintage Frog kit! Next the clear sprue, once again identical in all kits. There's the aftermarket stuff I'll be using, Eduard masks and MAV decals for the SAAF plane.

2019-10-21_09-14-09

Which leaves only the kit supplied decals, and two resin parts which I won't be needing, to be shown here.

2019-10-21_09-16-30

Lots of colour, and various stars and roundels in these ones indeed.

2019-10-21_11-11-18

I made a personal 1,5 hour build record in assembling practically every subassembly of all three kits I just could before grabbing any paint tins! These kits really "almost build themselves". Well done, Special Hobby!I

V-P

• Like 2

Tuesday night I painted all those bits and pieces to be trapped inside the fuselage, and some exterior pieces too. This afternoon it was time to add instrument panel and seat belt (of a wrong type for RAF/RAAF/SAAF planes, but what Miles Davis said, "so what") decals. And a moment later I decided it's good to have a break and post some pics at the good old Britmodeller 😁.

2019-10-23_05-50-09

Radiators, IP:s and seat assemblies attached.

2019-10-23_06-12-46

Fuselage halves joined (I love the Special Hobby fit!), the tailplanes were added last night. I prefer to add them while I can lay the fuselage half flat on my workbench.

2019-10-23_06-37-59

Radiator intakes, rudders and upper (only) wing halves added. Actually I didn't mean to go this far, yet, but as I was merely watching it these kits kinda built themselves :hmmm:. Best regards, V-P

• Like 1