1/72 Airfix FW-190D A8 starter kit

Pleased to get this finished.  Was wanting a cleaner finish but bearing in mind I lost my sight part way through the build thanks to a new chemo drug I'm on I should be happy its done!  Not posted for a while due concentrating on health but good to make a return.   Colour of tank bugging me a bit so may redo.

a (1 of 7)

a (2 of 7)

a (3 of 7)

a (6 of 7)

a (4 of 7)

a (1 of 1)

a (5 of 7)

• Like 39

That looks very nice indeed. I’d be happy with that finish.

I hope your treatment is successful.

I have the self same kit waiting it’s turn. Did you use the kit provided potlets of paint?

Trevor

• Like 1

Mine got put on the shelf of doom, well back in the box because it fits. I messed something up somewhere putting the cockpit in I think, which had the whole thing not fitting properly.

Good luck with the health stuff, I think the model came out more than ok

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

That looks very nice indeed. I’d be happy with that finish.

I hope your treatment is successful.

I have the self same kit waiting it’s turn. Did you use the kit provided potlets of paint?

Trevor

No, Tamiya paints. All guess work though, just used what I had at hand.

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Mine got put on the shelf of doom, well back in the box because it fits. I messed something up somewhere putting the cockpit in I think, which had the whole thing not fitting properly.

Good luck with the health stuff, I think the model came out more than ok

Thanks Adam.

• Like 1

Looks good, I wouldn’t worry about the colour of the tank, after all in reality they would not have been painted at the same time or in the same place so some difference is to be expected.

AW

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looks good, I wouldn’t worry about the colour of the tank, after all in reality they would not have been painted at the same time or in the same place so some difference is to be expected.

AW

Very true, my justification for using slightly wrong colours when I don't have the exact shade.

• Like 1

Really nice job @wheezi, I reckon you've caught the look of it very well. I've long been aware of this aircraft, it was shown in the Closterman book "The Big Show" & your rendition matches what I've long imagined it looked like to a Tee. :) All the best on the health front mate, it must be a tough time you're going through. :( 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Splend result, as others have said leave the tank, the difference in colour makes the model more authentic.   I'm doing a Zveda A4 (1:72) at present and got the A8 Airfix in my stash.  I have to say very impressed with the Zveda kit so far especially the detail of the pilot.

All the best mate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

What problems did you encounter?   

Nothing to do with the kit. I simply botched it. The kit has it's issues like trailing edges almost as thick as the original aeroplane. 

But after over forty something years of modelling. You'd think I could glue it together with some degree of refinement. 

Oh well. 

• Like 1

Never mind the exact color of the paints. It is practically impossible to tell today how the paint looked 80 years ago (even with original chips), paint changes with weather, age, wear and tear etc, at the end of the war there where so many differences between manufacturer delivered plane parts and paint jobs at the squadron level (not to speak of what the used at the front), paint quality changed dramatically to the end of the war and so on and so on ....

As long as you don't do something crazy (e.g. use day glo orange instead of RLM 82 or so) the rule is: if it looks good to you, it is good - and those who don't like it have to prove that what ever you did never existed :)

And, even more importantly, good luck with your health :thumbsup:

Edited by 2Step
typo
  • Like 2

I think the key is getting the fuselage together.  I needed to trim a fair bit of the control panel to get a nice fit and the way the bulkhead/exhaust assembly goes together doesn't make life easy either.  Patience and perseverance the key I think.